BX25 Running Rough Intermittently

/ BX25 Running Rough Intermittently #1  

RodSerling

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
So here's my problem, in the middle of a snow storm. I started to clear my driveway and my Kubota was running fine and then all of a sudden it started to bog and sputter and shake. Then it would clear up and run for a few seconds and then do it again. There was no smoke and a few times it would stall.

Any ideas? Should I drain the fuel? I have almost 30" of snow on the ground and my driveway is a 1/4 mile long. I need to get this running and pronto.

/ BX25 Running Rough Intermittently #2  
Is the fuel fairly new? Any chance of water? Are you sure the fuel is winter blend, or has had anti-gel added?

/ BX25 Running Rough Intermittently #3  
So here's my problem, in the middle of a snow storm. I started to clear my driveway and my Kubota was running fine and then all of a sudden it started to bog and sputter and shake. Then it would clear up and run for a few seconds and then do it again. There was no smoke and a few times it would stall.

Any ideas? Should I drain the fuel? I have almost 30" of snow on the ground and my driveway is a 1/4 mile long. I need to get this running and pronto.

Change BOTH fuel filters & check them for water or wax.

/ BX25 Running Rough Intermittently
Is the fuel fairly new? Any chance of water? Are you sure the fuel is winter blend, or has had anti-gel added?

Actually it is old fuel.

Change BOTH fuel filters & check them for water or wax.

The front filter is less than 20 hours old and the back one is probably 50- 100 hours. I wish I had some spares on hand but I don't.

/ BX25 Running Rough Intermittently #5  
A dash of Power Service 911 would help but doesn't look like you will be able to get out for a while !
If you can get near a power source get a hair dryer and gently heat the filters. A tarp over the hood would help keep the wind off and help to heat up the fuel. Good luck !

A dash of Power Service 911 would help but doesn't look like you will be able to get out for a while !
If you can get near a power source get a hair dryer and gently heat the filters. A tarp over the hood would help keep the wind off and help to heat up the fuel. Good luck !

It's in the mid 20's here. I didn't think it would gel. My gut tells me it is water in the fuel, my luck tells my it needs a whole new fuel system. I hate not having a garage.

/ BX25 Running Rough Intermittently #7  
Yeah, that's not cold enough to gel, though if it was colder recently, that could still have left waxy globs somewhere.

But if it's old fuel and been around long enough for water to condense inside the tank, then you may have water in the system somewhere.

Best procedure, either way, would be to bleed and purge the whole system, replace filters, and get fresh treated diesel in there.

/ BX25 Running Rough Intermittently #8  
Actually it is old fuel.

The front filter is less than 20 hours old and the back one is probably 50- 100 hours. I wish I had some spares on hand but I don't.

You should always keep spare fuel filters but the back one near the tank is most likely the issue.

Yeah, that's not cold enough to gel, though if it was colder recently, that could still have left waxy globs somewhere.

But if it's old fuel and been around long enough for water to condense inside the tank, then you may have water in the system somewhere.

Best procedure, either way, would be to bleed and purge the whole system, replace filters, and get fresh treated diesel in there.

Yeah I think I'm going to drain the system tomorrow including the filters then see if that works, than on Monday I'll get some new filters and put some new fuel in. The fuel is probably from Summer time. I just hope it isn't a sender or pump or something else expensive or a pita.

/ BX25 Running Rough Intermittently #10  
Been there, summer fuel, no back up fuel filters, no 911. Bx dead when you really need it.
Now I make it a point to let the summer fuel get low, do all my maintenance in the fall, change oil & filter, fuel filters. Easier to do when its warm then freezing cold. Keep a back up of all filters and diesel 911 too.