BX25 won't shut off.

/ BX25 won't shut off. #1  

1970charger500

Tractor
None
Walked out the other day and heard the bx clicking.. constant clicking noise. Turned the key on and off and nothing changed. Turned the light switch on and it quit. Started and drove it a bit, then it would not shutoff until I turn the key off and the lights on.

I just put a new battery in a few days before this. It was over 10 years old so was needed, but now I wonder if this is why it died.

Checked the fuses visually only. Will check with meter tomorrow.

Before I just try a new solenoid, is there something else I should check? The other won't shutoff threads never mentioned clicking or light switch being involved.

Thanks!

/ BX25 won't shut off. #2  
If the clicking sound is the electric lift pump, then it sounds to me like the starter switch itself is bad.

/ BX25 won't shut off. #3  
I agree, it sounds like the key switch, I’d try and spray an electrical cleaner in there.

/ BX25 won't shut off. #4  
Your tractor has two timers. An OPC timer and an engine stop relay timer.
I have attached a couple of WSM pages so you can check yours out
Dave M7040

Attachments

• forum BX25 timer and timer relay.pdf
    227.7 KB · Views: 74
   / BX25 won't shut off.
Thanks all for the input! Hoping to get time to look at it this evening.

/ BX25 won't shut off.
Turned out it was a blown fuse, but I checked the fuses AFTER checking the OPC Timer so I'm not convinced I didn't cause the fuse to blow by checking the wrong pin with the multimeter.. (that diagram is really not clear on what is pin 3 and 4) we'll see in time but for now its fixed and I learned a lot of stuff I should've known.. like how to turn it off when it won't turn off :)

also took the contact cleaner advice and cleaned a lot of connections.

now to order more spare fuses...

/ BX25 won't shut off. #7  
Turn the key on without starting. Turn key off. Fuel solenoid will click after about 5 seconds. The fuel solenoid activates when first shutoff. After 5 seconds it releases so as to not run down the battery. This can be seen easily under the hood on drivers side. Yes, a blown fuse will cause it. If fuse continues to blow then likly a chaffed wire somewhere. Lights, fuel pump (under tractor near center just past 1st fuel filter). I've chaffed both. The tractor can be turned off by manually pushing on the solenoid linkage.

/ BX25 won't shut off.
Tried to use the tractor this weekend and the batteries dead again! The only wire that looks like it could be chaffed is on the fuel pump. It isn't obvious, but those wires come out and turn 90 degrees back up under the pump bracket-- it looks bad and if I pull back the rubber grommet a bit I can see copper. aside from that maybe the solenoid isn't releasing like @nickzim mentioned. I'll check that after the battery charges.

/ BX25 won't shut off.
If the clicking sound is the electric lift pump, then it sounds to me like the starter switch itself is bad.
You nailed it. I finally noticed the switch acting bad. Replaced it. The old one had two terminals corroded. Probably would've been fine with a good cleaning but I already had a new one. Cleaned the terminals, added some dielectric grease and its all good now. :)