BX25D shuts off randomly

/ BX25D shuts off randomly #1  

frogpond

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
My BX25D has been shutting off with no apparent reason. The engine simply stops. When I turn the key it starts right up again. It happens when I'm running the backhoe, or when I get up off the seat. I have checked the safety switches under the seat. The buttons operate smoothly. The fuel filters look good. I wonder if it has to do with the treadle pedal.
Suggestions appreciated!

/ BX25D shuts off randomly #2  
Being intermittent is always fun (NOT!). I might suggest the fuel shut off solenoid as a potential culprit. You may need to wire up something to watch so you can tell if it is shutting off when the problem occurs. Other culprits are the safety switches you note din the seats or pedal.

/ BX25D shuts off randomly #3  
Check the seat safety switch wiring really closely. On my zero turn, the wiring into the connector has simply broke over time; taped it back together and it’s been fine since then.

/ BX25D shuts off randomly #4  
Grease the pedal zerk.. If its not returning to centre it could be the problem.. Blast all the linkage joints with some WD40 type stuff too.

/ BX25D shuts off randomly #5  
It flashes no codes? I would bypass the safety switch for a session and see if it stops.

/ BX25D shuts off randomly #6  
I've had this happen on my '24. Hair trigger PTO engagement switch in my case. Can be adjusted. IIRC I could reach it w/out any disassembly.

Zoltan

/ BX25D shuts off randomly
Thanks for the suggestions. After I wrote this, things developed further. After working for several hours, the engine refused to shut off with the key switch. After parking the tractor in the shed, I shut it off with a shutoff valve on the aftermarket water separator fuel filter that I installed a few years ago. I am going to the dealer today to get a replacement fuel shutoff solenoid, as a search shows the non-stop problem is most likely related to the failure of that spendy little item.

A curious feature of the situation is that now, although I don't expect it to actually run with the fuel shut off, it won't crank, either. I hope that this is somehow caused by the failure of the solenoid, and not a coincidental something else. I do suspect that some of the random shutoffs before were caused by misalignment of the treadle when I got off the seat. I have greased it....Or maybe it was all caused by malicious gremlins.

/ BX25D shuts off randomly #8  
Shut off solenoid is ~$30 for aftermarket.

/ BX25D shuts off randomly
Problem solved. Replaced the fuel shutoff solenoid, which was easy. The no-crank problem was not caused by the treadle, but rather by the PTO lever on the left side. A little jiggling made it happier. I thank those who helped with advice!
By the way, I went with the Kubota solenoid. More expensive, yes; but I noticed that a YouTube video on the subject mentioned bad luck with the cheap aftermarket version. I just wanted it to work the first time. My time is limited.