BX80 Series Hydro Improved?

/ BX80 Series Hydro Improved? #1  

robertm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660
Do the 80-Series BX’s still have the rolling issue with the hydro when taking your foot off the hydro pedal? I almost took out the corner of my barn yesterday with my 70-Series. Just curious if Kubota resolved this issue with the new tractors.

/ BX80 Series Hydro Improved? #2  
I have a BX1880, but I have never owned any of the earlier models so I can't do a straight up comparison. I can describe how it behaves though. Without using the brake if you are on flat ground or uphill it comes to a complete stop fairly quick. If you have a significant load in the bucket especially if going down hill it will have momentum and it will take longer to slow/stop. While I can't say if other hydros are different, this behavior doesn't seem unexpected to me. If you need an immediate/abrupt stop, wouldn't you use the brake for that?

/ BX80 Series Hydro Improved?
My BX rolls, what I consider, too far. Most SCUT hydros pushed by weight will “roll”. If I’m not watching all the time, mine rolls several feet with ease. My last B2620 would jar your fillings stopping immediately after you took your foot off the go pedal.

Last edited:
   / BX80 Series Hydro Improved? #4  
Do the 80-Series BX痴 still have the rolling issue with the hydro when taking your foot off the hydro pedal? I almost took out the corner of my barn yesterday with my 70-Series. Just curious if Kubota resolved this issue with the new tractors.

HST transmissions are pump operated. When you take your foot off the foot throttle there is a brief delay while the pump shuts off. This is mostly an issue in HIGH range.

HST transmissions are pump operated. When you take your foot off the foot throttle there is a brief delay while the pump shuts off. This is mostly an issue in HIGH range.

Nope. I only run low range, and the pump does not shut off... not on a BX. The single pump on a BX runs all hydraulics and the HST. The HST “valve” may be throttled by the pedal, but it should close immediately, or quickly, after the pedal returns to its rest position.

/ BX80 Series Hydro Improved? #6  
I think mine has gotten worse over time. I recall I use to get jerky stops when new. Now with 400+ hours of heavy loads on steep hills, it doesn't seem to behave as crisp as it once did. Also seems to be whining more now. Wonder what that means?

Nope. I only run low range, and the pump does not shut off... not on a BX. The single pump on a BX runs all hydraulics and the HST. The HST “valve” may be throttled by the pedal, but it should close immediately, or quickly, after the pedal returns to its rest position.

Time to get a B2601.

/ BX80 Series Hydro Improved? #8  
My BX almost launches me over the steering wheel when I take my foot off the pedal but I recall reading about this before (I think), something about greasing the rocker under the floor which is accessed by the almost invisible flap in the mat between the forward and reverse pedal.
I think it is a 5o hour grease, not 10 like the FEL but I do mine more often even though I am only up to 155 hours.

/ BX80 Series Hydro Improved? #9  
Seems like more of a pedal position thing, as opposed to a valve or design issue. If the pedal is slow to return to "N", you will have drift while it returns.

As bunyip mentioned, make sure your HST pedal is greased & free, and check the return spring. There should be a "sweet spot" for pedal return....not too fast, not too slow. You could probably "tune" this via the return spring, if you are so inclined.

My 2380 seems fine. I did, however, replace the jam nuts on the throttle with a Nylock, to keep that from constantly loosening and allowing the throttle to slip back. Very annoying, and stupid design from KB. Would like to smack the moron who spec'd that.....:punch:

/ BX80 Series Hydro Improved? #10  
My last B2620 would jar your fillings stopping immediately after you took your foot off the go pedal.

Wow! I think that would be too aggressive for me. Someone mentioned that its an issue in high range but mine behaves the opposite. When I have it in high range the stop feels more abrupt. That might not actually be how it is, but it feels that way. Might be just due to fact that in high I am going faster. This an interesting thread.

I also replaced the jam nut with nylock -- works wonders for the throttle control.