Dirt Moving BXcavator

/ BXcavator #11  
Looks like this proves the BX is capable of a lot of repetitive FEL ramming!
Do you have a toobar on that FEL?

/ BXcavator
Wow...thanks for all of the positive responses. I will try to answer any questions. I'm not for sure how many hours I have in this project so far, but I estimate around six tanks of fuel. This trail, except for the initial climb, is being constructed like a sustainable hiking/mountain biking trail. Although the trail generally maintains constant elevation, its slope is continuously changing. No more than ~30 ft before grade shifts positive or negative. The objective is to prevent water from accumulating in large amounts. I've used rip rap and a washout so far on the initial climb up to the trail. My soil has a high percentage of clay and doesn't allow water penetration too far below the surface, but I'm sure I will put some heavy stone on it. I'm averaging about 10 feet an hour. Sure it is slow going, but I get to work on it as time presents itself. I've considered renting a small track hoe, they are great for trail/road construction, but I am always a miserable slave to rented equipment...run it all day/night, never stopping to eat, and waiting till I can't hold it anymore before relieving myself. I am using the BXpanded Piranha toothbar. I am happy with its performance and it has proven quite durable. I also carry an axe along to handle stubborn tree roots. I try to do most of the initial digging with the backhoe. It just seems like focusing the tractor's energy across the smaller area of backhoe teeth may prolong the life of my tractor. I have pushed it pretty hard cutting with the loader when I've let myself get into a rush. I just cut with the backhoe moving the spoil to the downhill side. Getting as close to the desired grade with the backhoe is actually a time saver, although it may not feel like it. I will pull the tractor along with the backhoe for about 20 to 30 feet, then I drive the tractor to the nearest turn around and go back for tidying things up with the loader.

/ BXcavator #13  
Sir, you are to be commended.
That looks like the Ho Chi Minh Trail.
Very impressive, what you have done and how well you have done it.

/ BXcavator
Thanks Baby Grand. My wife just views each additional increment as evidence of how much playtime I get.

/ BXcavator #15  
ClendenninTrail said:
Wow...thanks for all of the positive responses. I will try to answer any questions. I'm not for sure how many hours I have in this project so far, but I estimate around six tanks of fuel. This trail, except for the initial climb, is being constructed like a sustainable hiking/mountain biking trail. Although the trail generally maintains constant elevation, its slope is continuously changing. No more than ~30 ft before grade shifts positive or negative. The objective is to prevent water from accumulating in large amounts. I've used rip rap and a washout so far on the initial climb up to the trail. My soil has a high percentage of clay and doesn't allow water penetration too far below the surface, but I'm sure I will put some heavy stone on it. I'm averaging about 10 feet an hour. Sure it is slow going, but I get to work on it as time presents itself. I've considered renting a small track hoe, they are great for trail/road construction, but I am always a miserable slave to rented equipment...run it all day/night, never stopping to eat, and waiting till I can't hold it anymore before relieving myself. I am using the BXpanded Piranha toothbar. I am happy with its performance and it has proven quite durable. I also carry an axe along to handle stubborn tree roots. I try to do most of the initial digging with the backhoe. It just seems like focusing the tractor's energy across the smaller area of backhoe teeth may prolong the life of my tractor. I have pushed it pretty hard cutting with the loader when I've let myself get into a rush. I just cut with the backhoe moving the spoil to the downhill side. Getting as close to the desired grade with the backhoe is actually a time saver, although it may not feel like it. I will pull the tractor along with the backhoe for about 20 to 30 feet, then I drive the tractor to the nearest turn around and go back for tidying things up with the loader.

Instead of an axe for stubborn tree roots try a battery powered reciprocating saw with pruning blade...awesome!

/ BXcavator #16  
Instead of an axe for stubborn tree roots try a battery powered reciprocating saw with pruning blade...awesome!

Yeah, I love a good reciprocating saw with a pruning blade. I have used this method a lot for trimming trees and sawing roots like you suggested.

/ BXcavator #17  
Looks like the BX25 is getting the job done right. :thumbsup: Great job! I have made a trail on a steep hill with a Deere CT322, did a pretty good job for a days work but there were no trees of shrubs in the way either, just grass.

/ BXcavator #19  
Now that is an inspiration!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: My new BX25D will be asked to work on steep slope (slowly) to put in retaining walls and to finish a very rough cut steep hill to access my lower property. Wasn't sure it could be done without something much larger and maybe a hired operator. I too, cannot stand to rent equipment!

/ BXcavator #20  
..........then I drive the tractor to the nearest turn around and go back for tidying things up with the loader.

sure Looks like fun. One thing I've found in building roads and paths is you can't have too many turn-arounds or wide spots. And making a flat spot big enough to not only pull off, but actually park the tractor next to the road is true luxury.
enjoy, rScotty