Bypass oil filter on car or tractor

/ Bypass oil filter on car or tractor #1  

valley

Platinum Member
Tractor
Michigan 55A, Foton 254
Greetings, Has anyone added a bypass filter to their car or tractor? What kind? What results? Thanks Richard

/ Bypass oil filter on car or tractor #2  
those filters can be expensive, but so is destroying the engine. i wouldn't do it.

/ Bypass oil filter on car or tractor #3  
some of the old (40's 50's) Mack fire trucks I worked on had them they used the oil pump to supply pressure to engine and some went to filter and drined back in to crank case.
I would thing you would need a large volume pump or separate pump to do it today.

I guess they thought dirty oil is better than no oil if filter got plugged.

tom

/ Bypass oil filter on car or tractor #4  
I know that Amsoil sells bypass kits for some vehicles (I think BIG trucks and most diesel pickups).. You could check out their website for information.

A lot of ppl that run synthetic oil and extended oil changes swear by the kits..

brian

/ Bypass oil filter on car or tractor #5  
Amsoil sells bypass filter systems and there pretty popular among the diesel truck crowd. Go to any Ford, Chevy, or Dodge diesel forum and you'll found numerous amounts of people that run them. I plan to put one on my 06 Dodge when I get around to it because the bypass filters so much better than just a full flow alone.

/ Bypass oil filter on car or tractor
Thanks, The stock filter would remain in place. The bypass would filter a smaller amount taken from the pressure plug. The stock filter would go on with its job that way if the bypass fills up there is no problem.

/ Bypass oil filter on car or tractor #7  
Thanks, The stock filter would remain in place. The bypass would filter a smaller amount taken from the pressure plug. The stock filter would go on with its job that way if the bypass fills up there is no problem.

Exactly, that's the only way to do it IMO. Amsoil offers kits that mount directly to the OEM filter housing and then relocate the full flow to a separate mount that includes the bypass filter too. If you run a setup like that than you risk running into the engine being starved for oil because of the excess length, or inability, to build oil pressure. Running 1 bypass filter inline with the already existing OEM full flow is the only safe way to go.

/ Bypass oil filter on car or tractor #8  
In 1972 I installed a Frantz oil filter on my Ford Maverick. The unit teed into the oil pressure sending unit and returned oil through a fitting in the oil pan.

I drove the car 7 years, put a new roll of toilet paper in the car every 1500-2000 miles, topped off the oil, changed the regular filter every year, topped off the oil and the oil looked like new when I traded the car in.

The oil drain plug on the car had never been loosened.

Unfortunately I did not remove the unit prior to trade in.

I have no reservations about recommending the Frantz filter.

Their web site offers complete info on the unit.

Frantz Filters Manufactured by We Filter It! Inc - Oil, Diesel and Gas Filters

/ Bypass oil filter on car or tractor #9  
In 1972 I installed a Frantz oil filter on my Ford Maverick. The unit teed into the oil pressure sending unit and returned oil through a fitting in the oil pan.

I drove the car 7 years, put a new roll of toilet paper in the car every 1500-2000 miles, topped off the oil, changed the regular filter every year, topped off the oil and the oil looked like new when I traded the car in.

The oil drain plug on the car had never been loosened.

Unfortunately I did not remove the unit prior to trade in.

I have no reservations about recommending the Frantz filter.

Their web site offers complete info on the unit.

Frantz Filters Manufactured by We Filter It! Inc - Oil, Diesel and Gas Filters

Back in 73/74, during Uncle Sam's NAVAir/USMC internal combustion engine maintenance training, one of my Navy instructors "swore" that running an aux filter that used a toilet paper roll as the filter medium would do away with oil changes. Said that all his vehicles had them and all he did was change the toilet paper roll regularly, the regular filter yearly and only top off the oil when needed.
I never did try it but it's lingered in my brain housing group since.
You wouldn't have ever been stationed at NAS Memphis now would ya :D :D

/ Bypass oil filter on car or tractor
I have a few Frantz Filters. 4 on vehicles on the property and one a friend just gave me. I have never had one on a deisel but I'm thinking of putting one on my latest tractor. Is anyone useing one of these? No! Never was stationed in Memphis.