C-123 Engine

/ C-123 Engine #12  
That's interesting about the C-135 cam Rick. I went to Case/IH to compare the part numbers, but they have been down for maintenance for a few days, and STILL down...

Where did you find the lift/duration specs on the cams..?? Are they in the Blue Ribbon engine spec manual..?? I have a BR engine manual that covers several engines, but it's at the other farm.

I'm guessing just a longer duration..?? I just happen to have a C-135 cam and gear, and a spare C-123 waiting on an engine stand to be OH'd for an A, as a play toy for plowing days.

I'm wondering how much power increase you would get NOT shaving the head. I already have a NIB overbore kit just waiting to be installed. Too many irons in the fire now, for play things. But it would be sweet to build a little "sleeper", when the time comes...

/ C-123 Engine #13  
After doing some checking of part numbers yesterday, after finally being able to access Case/IH parts, I was quite surprised to see that the same cam was used in the C-123, up through the C-153 4 cyl. engines. And same 66tooth cam gear... Even the C-113 cams were replaced with the 353609R31 cam if a new one is needed. Could be the same lift, and duration, just a different part number..??

So I guess I'm asking Rick, why the C-135 cam..?? Unless you had it reground..??

/ C-123 Engine #14  
I was told by an old-time IH mechanic that the 135 cam had better performance characteristics. So I bought one.

/ C-123 Engine
Oh yeah...sorry. I flat glossed over that. So you got a 50% PTO HP increase simply by shaving the head and putting a different cam in. That is truly amazing. I would have thunk maybe 30% max! Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna have to get me another engine and tweak it.

/ C-123 Engine #16  
So you got a 50% PTO HP increase simply by shaving the head and putting a different cam in. That is truly amazing.

That's not all I did to it. In fact, that's not even all that I've already told you that I did to it. You get to figure the rest out on your own.

/ C-123 Engine #17  
Well..., reckon' I'll just have to settle for the 3-1/4" overbore kit, and some cleaning up of the manifold ports.

/ C-123 Engine #18  
That's not all I did to it. In fact, that's not even all that I've already told you that I did to it. You get to figure the rest out on your own.

Rick...If you hang around C's, SC's, 200s, 230s, etc. long enough you will ultimately find out what the weak link in these units are...once you hit a certain horsepower/torque level you very well may find out the hard way....Oh yeah, "You get to figure the rest out on your own."....If you'd like to know you may ask politely....Not a sermon, just a thought. BobG in VA

/ C-123 Engine #19  
Rick...If you hang around C's, SC's, 200s, 230s, etc. long enough you will ultimately find out what the weak link in these units are...once you hit a certain horsepower/torque level you very well may find out the hard way....Oh yeah, "You get to figure the rest out on your own."....If you'd like to know you may ask politely....Not a sermon, just a thought. BobG in VA

rick plainly stated what he did and what he got and the other poster missed it twice!

I don't feel bad one bit telling a person to go re-read what I've already typed.. and that's not a sermon..

/ C-123 Engine #20  
I don't care what Rick did, I said that once you reach a certain level of torque/HP on these units you are in for other issues....That's all I'll say...and you can call it a sermon if you like..