C-Tine cultivator

/ C-Tine cultivator #1  

wvhillbilly

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
I will get to my question in just a second. First I have to tell you a short story...
The other day I called our local SOUTHERN STATES and talked to the MANAGER... You all heard that right... THE MANAGER. I asked him if they could order in a 3-point hitched "C-Tine Cultivator" With just a short pause, he asked: "What's that?? I have never heard of such a thing" I was really surprised. The Manager of a Southern States farm store and has never heard of a C-tine cultivator.. He asked what it looked like.. I said "It is a cultivator that has 6 or so tines that look like the letter C" He said "you may try a tractor store" I know that is probably not the correct term for the attachment, but every other place I have called know exactly what a "c-tine" is. Did not even bother to look in the book. I know they can order some 3 point attachments. I looked through the book there some time ago myself. Anyways I thought that was kinda ridiculous at the time. but now I just laugh about it. I guess I can understand. Some businesses (not all) have to hire the City-bred business major. The guy has probably never sat on a tractor, or even seen one.

Now down to my question about C-tine cultivators. My 1970 model Troy-Bilt rototiller passed down from my grandfather finally bit the dust. At present, I can not afford to buy a new one. I would want a 3-point and they cost at least a grand. Do you all think a C-tine would work for tilling up a garden? I know it would not do nearly as well as a rototiller would.. But that is not even an option right now. I figure with multiple passes it should till it up enough to get my veggies planted. The garden has been tilled with that rototiller for the past 3 years and the soil is nice and soft.
What do you all think?? Would any other types of cultivators work better??

/ C-Tine cultivator #2  
wvhillbilly,

Definitely a C-tine cultivator will do a pretty descent job! I used one many years and it would do well enough to allow planting my garden.

I'm looking for a cultivator myself, didn't know c-tine cultivators were still available....

Hypernix

/ C-Tine cultivator
Yea,
Tractor Supply sells them (King Kutter brand) for $199. I saw the same brand in Northern tool for the same price.
Dave