Cab, 12x12 shuttle and self-leveling loader?

/ Cab, 12x12 shuttle and self-leveling loader? #1  

CDN Farm Boy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3300SU
With it being Christmas, I figure that it's a good time to dream about my next tractor, not that I have any complaints with my B3300. My wife often talks about getting another dog (we already have 3) and my response is sure, when I get to have a second tractor......

Must have list:
Factory cab
12x12 shuttle trans (or greater, just don't want a 9x9)
Mechanical self-leveling loader with decent lift capacity
Aftermarket loaders are acceptable and easy to add to a good tractor that doesn't have one
Not likely new but don't want ancient either
Brand not really important but JD has a slight edge

As small as I can find meeting the above criteria.

Opinions?

Last edited:
   / Cab, 12x12 shuttle and self-leveling loader? #2  
With it being Christmas, I figure that it's a good time to dream about my next tractor, not that I have any complaints with my B3300. My wife often talks about getting another dog (we already have 3) and my response is sure, when I get to have a second tractor...... Must have list: Factory cab 12x12 shuttle trans (or greater, just don't want a 9x9) Mechanical self-leveling loader with decent lift capacity Aftermarket loaders are acceptable and easy to add to a good tractor that doesn't have one Not likely new but don't want ancient either Brand not really important but JD has a slight edge As small as I can find meeting the above criteria. Opinions?

If you're keeping the 3300 why get the new one as small possible?

/ Cab, 12x12 shuttle and self-leveling loader? #3  
I sometimes think it's a harder decision to buy a second tractor than it is the first.

For me, I'm always a little paranoid about buying too small. And, it's only in my fantasy dreams that I can think of a cab. My uses just won't allow it.

For a used, older model tractor, parts availability becomes very important.

Were I you, I'd be looking for a tractor to fill the gaps that your current tractor has.

Keep us posted on your progress!!!

/ Cab, 12x12 shuttle and self-leveling loader? #4  
With it being Christmas, I figure that it's a good time to dream about my next tractor, not that I have any complaints with my B3300. My wife often talks about getting another dog (we already have 3) and my response is sure, when I get to have a second tractor......

Must have list:
Factory cab
12x12 shuttle trans (or greater, just don't want a 9x9)
Mechanical self-leveling loader with decent lift capacity
Aftermarket loaders are acceptable and easy to add to a good tractor that doesn't have one
Not likely new but don't want ancient either
Brand not really important but JD has a slight edge

As small as I can find meeting the above criteria.

Opinions?

What are the uses for the new tractor?

When you say "decent loader" what do you mean? 1000lbs? 2000? That's gonna size the tractor for you. Also, a self leveling loader typically doesn't come until you're up around 50hp+ and I think JD is the only one (the 400cx on the 4x20 series vines to mind) in the "compact" range with a self leveling loader option.

Why only shuttle? Have you considered HST? If not, what are the reasons?

Why does JD have a slight edge?

Finally, what is your budget?

/ Cab, 12x12 shuttle and self-leveling loader? #5  
Have you ever used a mechanical leveling loader? We hated ours and disabled it, much happier with a standard one, wouldn't mind having one with the option, but certainly not full time.

/ Cab, 12x12 shuttle and self-leveling loader?
Snow and firewood/bush work mostly would be the uses. Easy to find tractors in the 80 hp range but I don't want something that big for in the bush.

Since the 3300 is (obviously) 33 HP, this one needs to be enough bigger to justify keeping them both.

Something in the 2000 lbs of lift (or more?) since I have no plans of the 3300 going anywhere, it already has 1000 lbs of lift.

I've never used hst in anything bigger than my 3300. Used shuttle lots and like it. I like the shuttle for long stretches of snow and that they put power to the ground better.

Budget? Lol. I usually work the other way. Figure out exactly what I want then how to pay for it. Realistically, as cheap as I can....just like everything else.

It's been nearly 20 yrs since I spent any significant using self-leveling. I spend so much of my time with the loader just moving stuff around and constantly adjusting the bucket to keep things level. I'm actually considering building one for the 3300 just to see.

JD has a slightly edge just cause I like them best but not so much that I won't consider other brands. Not willing to pay a premium for it

/ Cab, 12x12 shuttle and self-leveling loader? #7  
Snow and firewood/bush work mostly would be the uses. Easy to find tractors in the 80 hp range but I don't want something that big for in the bush.

Since the 3300 is (obviously) 33 HP, this one needs to be enough bigger to justify keeping them both.

Something in the 2000 lbs of lift (or more?) since I have no plans of the 3300 going anywhere, it already has 1000 lbs of lift.

I've never used hst in anything bigger than my 3300. Used shuttle lots and like it. I like the shuttle for long stretches of snow and that they put power to the ground better.

Budget? Lol. I usually work the other way. Figure out exactly what I want then how to pay for it. Realistically, as cheap as I can....just like everything else.

It's been nearly 20 yrs since I spent any significant using self-leveling. I spend so much of my time with the loader just moving stuff around and constantly adjusting the bucket to keep things level. I'm actually considering building one for the 3300 just to see.

JD has a slightly edge just cause I like them best but not so much that I won't consider other brands. Not willing to pay a premium for it

Shuttles are good for ground engaging, but if you're doing mainly firewood and loader work, HST is better. I would personally prefer hat over shuttle for brushing, or any meeting, as well. But, shuttle will give you a wider range to choose from.

What size brush-hog do you want to use?

/ Cab, 12x12 shuttle and self-leveling loader? #8  
I would get a hydraulic shuttle. What model deere are you leaning toward? Any other brands that are ruled out or is the field open? Sounds like something around 60 hp would fit your requirements.

/ Cab, 12x12 shuttle and self-leveling loader?
Field is open to any of the major brands. Pretty set on the Shuttle trans. In the last 5 yrs I've got in the range of 100,000 shifts doing snow removal so I'm quite comfortable with it

Bush hog will stay on the 3300 for better maneuverability.

TripleR, what is it that you didn't like about the self-leveling?

/ Cab, 12x12 shuttle and self-leveling loader? #10  
Field is open to any of the major brands. Pretty set on the Shuttle trans. In the last 5 yrs I've got in the range of 100,000 shifts doing snow removal so I'm quite comfortable with it

Bush hog will stay on the 3300 for better maneuverability.

TripleR, what is it that you didn't like about the self-leveling?

We use our loaders mostly for moving dirt, rock, brush and our farms have a lot of hills. The self leveling bucket cut the amount of dirt or rock we could move as we needed to roll the bucket back going down hill and forward going up hill, some distance may be a half mile or more and we would lose a lot of material. Same thing hauling logs etc on the forks, we needed to be able to have more roll/dump control.