Cabin Heat Question

/ Cabin Heat Question #1  

RotorWrench

Tractor
Holder C5000 Toolcat 5600
Hello all. New to the forum but prior lurker. I appreciate the accumulated experience and knowledge here and have used it for many questions.

I will hopefully be getting a new-to-me 2013 5600 within the next week or so, depending on the current owner's schedule.

I have some experience with the Toolcat due to using one for miscellaneous chores at our hangars but predominantly in warmer weather.

My question pertains to the cabin heat, specifically, the effectiveness of the defroster or the ability of the cabin heat to keep the windshield clear of ice/freezing blowing snow in - 20F to - 30+ F temps. The primary use of this Toolcat will be replacing a Holder C5000 for snow removal, usually pre-dawn or at night and by December many times under the conditions previously mentioned.

My current Holder doesn't have any problems with this, in fact I often have to crack the side windows but I have used a couple of tractors whose cabin heat could not keep up with it, the snow hitting the moderately warm glass, melting and immediately freezing, eventually overcoming the wiper's ability to clear it. Very common around here but a royal pain. In those cases I was better off with the cabin unheated.

I would appreciate information on this so I'll at least be prepared to use my workarounds if I have to deal with it. We already had another foot of snow a couple of days ago with winds and single digits. I'll probably be dealing with that issue as soon as I get it.

Thanks

/ Cabin Heat Question #2  
I think being that the engine and hydraulics is under the seats and in the tunnel between the seats, it greatly helps heating the cab. It is warm in the summer if not running the A/C. I never have a problem of the heater not being able to heat enough and once warm, I take my coat off. I know sometimes I crack one or two windows open if the windows are fogging up. It has never been a problem that I had to stop or wipe a window off.

/ Cabin Heat Question
I think being that the engine and hydraulics is under the seats and in the tunnel between the seats, it greatly helps heating the cab. It is warm in the summer if not running the A/C. I never have a problem of the heater not being able to heat enough and once warm, I take my coat off. I know sometimes I crack one or two windows open if the windows are fogging up. It has never been a problem that I had to stop or wipe a window off.
Thank you. It must not be an issue for most. I guess I'll just find out in use.

/ Cabin Heat Question #4  
My last tractor I had an aftermarket rear window defroster. Thought about doing the same to the windshield. Maybe.

/ Cabin Heat Question #5  
Not familiar with Toolcats, but I use a skidsteer with a heated cab for snow removal.

I just rig up/plug in a small, strong portable fan to keep the windows from fogging up.

/ Cabin Heat Question #6  
never had a issue with heat and defrost, only time it could not keeo up was during blizard cinditions blowing snow and -35C, into the wind it would start to freeze on the wipers coming back it would melt it.

when its -15 to -20cC have to turn it down

bigger issue the block heater does nothing when its -25C, if its not indoors its not starting

/ Cabin Heat Question
never had a issue with heat and defrost, only time it could not keeo up was during blizard cinditions blowing snow and -35C, into the wind it would start to freeze on the wipers coming back it would melt it.

when its -15 to -20cC have to turn it down

bigger issue the block heater does nothing when its -25C, if its not indoors its not starting
Thanks, good to know. That's disappointing about the block heater. My equipment is in an unheated shop and those temps are common for a lot of our night winter temps. I'll probably just use an external heater.

/ Cabin Heat Question #8  
indoor unheated will fair better as its out of the wind and weather, picked up a Wabasto coolant heater but just not enough room to mount it anywhere

/ Cabin Heat Question
I use an oil pan heater right now on the Holder but it's an air-cooled Deutz, which makes a difference compared to a liquid cooled engine.
I'll probably do the same on the Toolcat. You're right though, even an unheated shelter helps.

/ Cabin Heat Question #10  
Doesn't the older Toolcat have a Kubota engine? Is the normal block heater a freeze plug type? I can't believe that if it was working properly that it wouldn't make a big difference.

2010 toolcat 5610 block heater #?