CAD Software

/ CAD Software #1  

bobsedor

Tractor
Kubota BX22
Can anyone recommend some low-priced CAD software that I could use to put together some ideas on implements that I want to fabricate for my BX22? I am very computer literate but don't have any experience with CAD software.

/ CAD Software #2  
I can use Autocad, Mechanical Desktop, Inventor, etc. But these packages cost thousands each and you won't learn them quickly if you haven't done cad before. There is Autocad Lite, which is slightly easier and slightly cheaper, but I think you would still be frustrated learning it. But this is an option and will net you a pretty good and versatile cad program. Check out www.autodesk.com for retail pricing.

Option 2: I would go to a computer store and look for a canned program geared for your needs: landscaping, houseplans, or whichever. These will probably be under $100, easy to use, but probably not real flexible. By that I mean you won't be able to use the houseplans program to do landscaping. You may find a general cad program as well.

Option 3: Find a buddy with a copy of Autocad or similar program and have him burn you a copy. (I've heard of people doing this but of course would never do it myself.)

Option 4: will have to come from some other poster. I am sure there are other good entry-level cad programs, but I can't help you here.

Hope this helps.

/ CAD Software #3  
http://hometown.aol.com/andrewc119/index.htm

http://www.cnc.co.za/software.htm

http://www.casco.net/~felice/taig.html

Here are some links. the second one in the list is actually a page of links to dozens of programs. I don't know the prices and haven't looked at many, but did find some that are freeware, and many will give a 30 day trial copy. I have used Dancad3d, its pretty good but basic and freeware. I have used IBMCAD, now obsolete and unavailable. I have used Catia, which is complete and difficult to learn on your own. I would guess you could buy a down level copy of Autocad pretty cheap, its a mainstream package with good forum support somewhere on the net. There really are way too many choices here. Too many people are solving all the same problems writing all this great code. I guess the up-side is the price comes down.
Whatever you choose, look for DXF filetype output, it makes life easier to get your stuff cut out or built later by somebody. DXF seems to be somewhat widley accepted as input to the converters to machine code (G&M code).

/ CAD Software #4  
bobsedor,

If you're just looking for basic 2D drawing, then I got the best price for a legit CAD package - free. Go to the following link

IMSI Free Page and look for the download for <font color="blue"> TurboCAD LE </font>

IMSI lets you download that and use it free, no time expiration. I'm sure they're hoping you'll upgrade to one of their newer full 3D packages - which aren't necessarily that expensive.

I dowloaded and registered LE a few months ago - and just got an upgrade offer to go to their latest 3D package, V9. The upgrade to the standard V9 was $50, to the "Pro V9" $250. These are decent 3D packages - and the pro version is pretty potent. There's a further upgrade path to go to full CAD/CAM as well if that's your interest.

Anywan, LE works well for 2D stuff and the price is right.

Tim

/ CAD Software #5  
Autodesk is the clear leader in the CAD field so you might as well start learning their software. They have a QuickCad program that is geared towards people just starting out. You can buy it at Staples for $49.99

/ CAD Software #6  
I recently purchased the Turbocad v8 standard for $99. It is 2D/3D and I am impressed with what it can do and at the same time, overwhelmed by what I need to learn yet to be able to do all those things. I have been through several chapters, and overly anxious to get some real drawings made.
Their site is turbocad and I see where version 9 is out now with even more features.

Some interesting bits of information coming out here, and hope you find what you want.

/ CAD Software #7  
I heard solid works had a free download for a while. They also had a free version for out of work engineers/technitions. You would have to check out there web site. Search for Solid works.

I use ProE but that isn't user friendly or cheap, so you can stear away from that.

/ CAD Software #8  
I use TurboCAD (v7 Professional) fairly extensively, and would recommend either the free downloadable version, and the paid updgrade (if you have need of the additional capabilities). I've also used AutoCADLT and found it to be very satisfactory.

One thing to consider is that any of the full blown packages, the free versions of them, and a lot of even the discount titles is they have pretty steep learning curves. An alternative you might consider is DeltaCAD. It's a free 30 day trial, about a $35 registration fee, and it works. It isn't pretty, and it has a somewhat limited feature set, but it is plenty capable of most common 2D mechanical drawing.

/ CAD Software
Many thanks to everyone who responded. I will follow-up some of the links and suggestions and make a decision.

/ CAD Software #10  
The Yahoo CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO group (home page) has had threads comparing the various CAD packages. Searching the archives cand give you a lot of good information.

Pro/ENGINEER is a complex 3d CAD program. Pro/MECHANICA is a related mechanical simulation package capable of not only simulating the parts movement relative to the other parts in the assembly but calculating the fatigue life, stress, deformation, and thermal conduction of the parts being designed. web page

The free subset of Pro/Desktop (itself a simplified version of Pro/ENGINEER) is available at
download web page

It is an interesting program but it requires a lot of practice and time to make it do what you want the first time. If the simple simple version is not enough there is another option.

Student Editions of Pro/ENGINEER and/or Pro/MECHANICA and related software are available for "personal or educational use" (no student ID is required) at pro educational store web page or JourneyEd web page. The prices are very low compared with the commercial prices of these products with few restrictions. (e.g. Pro/ENGINEER and Pro/MECHANICA is available for $150 while list price for commercial use is $34,000 )

If only I had time to learn to use programs this complex, I am sure that they would be useful.

The JourneyEd site has educational pricing on products from other comnpanies which require current student or faculty status to purchase or use. These include Solidworks, Adobe software, and many others. (A community college welding course could come in handy.)