Cadillac of tractors?

/ Cadillac of tractors? #282  
To me the demise of IH ag really was the first "big" American company to go belly-up that made me take notice. A really sad story. If you ever read "Red Power", there's a great story a guy that used to work at IH wrote about their demise.

I was really surprised at the sales numbers IH had and how modern & computerized the plants were.

I wish IH would step back into agriculture. The 88's were some of the most beautiful tractors ever built. Way ahead of their time. I'd love to own an '88 series 4x4 with the western interior.

A long time ago I worked in the Quad Cities (Moline IL) as a computer repairman for IBM. I remember the strike that shut the doors for good. I got several calls that I could not respond to because it would have ment crossing the picket lines and that was not a wise thing to attempt.

/ Cadillac of tractors? #283  
A long time ago I worked in the Quad Cities (Moline IL) as a computer repairman for IBM. I remember the strike that shut the doors for good. I got several calls that I could not respond to because it would have ment crossing the picket lines and that was not a wise thing to attempt.

Wow, that's sad.

I would have thought IBM would have pushed you to do it. Unions have their place and have done a lot of good but sometimes I wonder if some of them got just too strong.

Rob

/ Cadillac of tractors? #284  
Wow, that's sad.

I would have thought IBM would have pushed you to do it. Unions have their place and have done a lot of good but sometimes I wonder if some of them got just too strong.

Rob

I would agree with the union statement. Now they are a Big Business just like everything else. 1st and only union I belonged to let us down, Seemed to only protect the lazy sob's that didn't want to work. Then when it came down to negotiating a decent severance when our plant shut down/sold out=they sold out. Unions are not needed if a company truly treats it's workers fairly. I worked merit shops before and he who worked hardest didn't get laid off. It was strictly bottom line, who was more productive. Unions today have their hands out to take your money just like everyone else.

/ Cadillac of tractors? #285  

Never ceases to amaze me how unions will do the same thing some parasites do to its' host- feed off it until it's a dead carcass, only to end up dying itself. What's the sense?

/ Cadillac of tractors? #286  
Never ceases to amaze me how unions will do the same thing some parasites do to its' host- feed off it until it's a dead carcass, only to end up dying itself. What's the sense?

What you are saying is true.

Quite a transition from keeping minors out of sweat shops!

Rob

/ Cadillac of tractors? #287  
Nice and I'm a big Deere fan, but I like the '88's just as much if not better. They look meaner and have nicer cabs for their age.

I think these 3000 cabs are still better than a lot of new tractors !

/ Cadillac of tractors? #289  
I think these 3000 cabs are still better than a lot of new tractors !

That looks like the cab that I had on my Massey 393 ? I always liked that cab and the tractor was not bad either. Ken Sweet

/ Cadillac of tractors? #290  
Nice tractor. Love the AG float tires, but I still like the IH 5088 better. I like heavy American AG iron.

Normally i am a believer in heavier built american equipment and tend to buy so but when you talk of the (Cadilac) as being on a comfort level or technically advanced i think these 3000's have to go into the hall of fame .
Pillarless cab corners ,Cloth interior , "Data-tronic" performance monitoring , Elctronic 3pt controls that were simple yet still analogue dash and manual hyd remotes , Wonderful draught control on 3pt , Soft ride function on 3pt ,Quick hitch link arms, Foreward facing sun roof and easy access to air-con and other roof stuff.
Only thing to avoid was the 32 speed trannies but the 16 speed and dyna-shift were great , I dont see why any -one would buy a fendt today when MF have the same CVT gearbox with a better engine ?
Now after saying all that and the fact that i dont give a hoot for all the mod-cons i actually find my self looking for an extra tractor right now for the sprayer and i know what it will be ..lol . At least this or a TW 15 ...Better the devil you know..?