California Drought

/ California Drought #11  
I've been in the Environmental Health field for almost 50 years now and have not seen any reports/studies on seawater/septic tank problems. Maybe because it would require a dual supply system and added expense. Maybe because the highest pathogenic load from a house is not the toilet but the shower and clothes washing machine. I don't think the hot water tank nor clothes washing machine are set up to handle seawater.

Trying to set up a multiple supply system for non-potable/potable home use would be a nightmare of problems.

Last edited:
   / California Drought #12  
Biggest use of water at a residence is the yard....by far! The cost of desal is too high right now to be feasible. However the technology with waste water is to the point many municipalities are running purple pipe "recycled" water for irrigation. This is where the dual piping efforts have gone.

Back to OP- yes the flooding is real and affecting folks. We have family in Truckee but they are high enough to be out of the way. The problem is the storm was so warm it rained in all but the highest spots in the sierras- including the ski resorts. When that happened it began to wash the rain AND melted snow down- which is want occurred today. Highway 80 at Donner Pass (the Donner Party Donner Pass) just had a major mud slide as well.

/ California Drought #13  
Here in Oakland we average 80 gallons per day for a 2400 square foot home on 6 acres...

Gave up watering the lawns and that saves 200 gallons per day when judicious hand watering used in the summer...

The water agencies are crying for increased rates to make up for conservation... the cost overhead and fixed costs vary little in regards to flow...

Can't seem to win on this...

The bill for 300 gallons per day is about $280 for 60 days which includes sewer... figure about $5 a day and you would be in the ballpark.

New dams are not going in and old ones taken out... many say people will just need to learn to use less... very little effort to increase capacity.

Farmers being restricted is a real issue... many have drawn on river water were told to stop... even with deeded water rights going back more than a 100 years.

Things around the ranch were sloppy... with lots of little streams popping up as it rained... as long as the rain is moderated it should not be too bad... it's when it keeps pounding without let up that the hills start to slide and the water ways overflow.

/ California Drought #14  
CA has the resources and ability to solve it's water issues if they actually addressed the problem. Unfortunately, they have a proven history of using a problem to increase taxes and then use that tax money for social programs instead of what it was raised for. Then complain that they need more money to fix the water problem and raise taxes again. They do the same thing with the roads, schools and prisons.

/ California Drought #15  
CA has the resources and ability to solve it's water issues if they actually addressed the problem.

I agree. I have heard politics defined as the art of distributing limited resources and here in California there are two many competing interests for those resources which are incompatible. The politics here are a mess - the decisions they make are just maddening at times.

This rain will help with some issues - cattle grazing for example, but long term solutions require storage and realistic and fair allocation strategies which we don't have. And the rain won't help with the estimated 120 million trees that have died. I can look out my back door up to a mountain ridge and see dead trees where once we had a forest.

/ California Drought #16  
This current string of storms has been very warm, and that is melting the Cascade and Sierra snow pack that has accumulated over the past month or so. That has led to flooding (I just posted some pictures of very high water levels in the Feather River Canyon on the Rural Living thread). Since the snow pack serves as water storage for the summer months, and the reservoirs can't hold enough to meet the agricultural and environmental demands placed upon them by the state's Byzantine management practices, we could easily lapse back into drought, even in the northern counties. Regardless, one plentiful winter such as the one we are having won't recharge the ground water being depleted by ever more numerous and deeper wells in the Central Valley. It's so bad there that the aquifers are collapsing in some areas and will never hold water again. A couple years ago the state water management board got some teeth to start forcing localities to develop management plans or have control moved to the state level, but progress there is very slow and fraught with legal challenges that will drag down any effort to change. All of the problems with too little water are man made, and it will be man that suffers one way or another if a way can't be found to stay within Mother Nature's imposed water allocation.

Personally, my well seems to be drawing from an aquifer that is independent of Lake Oroville's level (I live on the side of the canyon above the lake) and I chose plants for the landscaping that use little water during the hot summer months. So far I've had all the water I needed, even in the most recent drought years. Most of the ground here slopes pretty steeply into the canyon so there's no chance of flooding, but the fire lines that were dozed into the property during the Saddle Fire last summer are suffering some erosion. I'd hoped to get those areas planted before the rains started, but promises of a tractor and disc never materialized.

/ California Drought #17  
Snow pack in the Sierra is what they need, an it sounds like they are getting some. There's a lot of make-up to be done, though. It will take years of good winters before they are in good shape.

The water politics in California are staggeringly stupid. There is no reason they should not have enough reserves to see them through a 7 year drought.

Since I've lived here, from 1975, I've seen several drought cycles but each time they still act as if it were something totally new. It seems to me we have the wrong kind of people in gubberment. Maybe it's time ditch the stupid lawyers and get some engineering and scientist types into goverment. People who know how to solve problems instead of making them worse in order to suit their own interests.

/ California Drought #18  
Some crops take an unbelievable amount of water to produce (one gallon for one almond, 20 gallons for one ounce of asparagus, 100 gallons per ounce of beef - or so it is reported).

Those numbers aren't anywhere near reality. The issue is real, though. For example, California grows a lot of rice and cotton, two ravenously thirsty crops, which is insane in a state that has limited water resources.

And environmentalists want to save every bug and fish that has ever been seen anywhere - or so it is reported.

When I still lived there, the construction of a hospital in Riverside was stopped - permanently stopped - to save a subspecies of the common house fly. One protected desert rat was found to NOT be a separate species, but it remained protected.

The problem is the storm was so warm it rained in all but the highest spots in the sierras-

It's Sierra. No "s". The word is already plural.

Since I've lived here, from 1975, I've seen several drought cycles but each time they still act as if it were something totally new. It seems to me we have the wrong kind of people in gubberment. Maybe it's time ditch the stupid lawyers and get some engineering and scientist types into goverment. People who know how to solve problems instead of making them worse in order to suit their own interests.

The problem is not their education, profession, or skillsets.

The problem is their values.

/ California Drought #19  
All (well most) true. A couple more more factors presently:

California water law goes back to the original stakeholders who put their flunkies in the legislature and wrote water law to their benefit: first the mining corporations who needed all the scarce water they could get to run their operations, and soon after the flatland farmers who practiced flood irrigation for rice and then almonds, among other things. Both interests wrote 'grandfather' legislation that allowed them all the water they traditionally received. Any later land development had to buy water rights from them. This legal basis is far out of sync with modern needs.

California is unusual in that no legislation has ever succeeded to monitor and control groundwater. The aquifers that stored water is pumped from in summer ( it never rains here all summer, the rainlesss season is practically Easter to Thanksgiving) can be pumped dry causing major subsidence of land levels, and nobody cares. Attempts to monitor and control this are overwhelmed by existing traditional water users who won't stop pumping.

Much of the water is provided at federally subsidized low price (thanks, taxpayers elsewhere!) for large scale commercial ag to grow subsidized rice and cotton for subsidized-price-control export (thanks taxpayers) to countries where this flood of imports undercuts their local farmers ability to make a profit. This is raw political power applied to enriching some of the largest corporations - since their elected representatives drafted the federal subsidy laws to their benefit. (Gasohol encouraging corn in the Midwest represents a similar market distortion).

And then recent events: the wholesale buying of farms for their underground water rights. Davis, just west of Sacramento and home of the ag college, now has to buy water from a corporation that bought the large corporate farm over their local aquifer. City of Davis should have bought that land, now its too late.

Large multinationals are, in the midst of drought, buying ag land and planting water-intensive almonds because the presence of the almonds guarantees the flood-irrigation water rights they got along with the land. I think Nestle, possibly the largest seller of bottled water worldwide, is part of this.

Basically passing more laws to unravel this mess is politically impossible. The largest stakeholders with the greatest financial interests have always been in the driver's seat.

One last story that illustrates why more dams aren't built: Auburn Dam above Sacramento never went forward because it was not economically rational. All the water that could be diverted there was already owned by existing interests, it wouldn't create any new water. Hydro power ditto, there isn't any spare water to put through turbines so zero hydroelectric potential. Flood control in the American River drainage is already sufficient, no benefit there. So what looked like an obvious dam site never got its dam.

Last edited: