California permit for a pole barn

/ California permit for a pole barn #12  
And be advised that the county building departments do periodic drive by inspections of your property and check for new construction. If they can't find a building permit in the files, you can bet that they will be in contact with you pronto. They want their fee money and any fines that they can slap on.

Around here they just compare the aerial photos, saves a lot of driving.

/ California permit for a pole barn #13  
I think they just want to drive up labor costs, probably bribed by some union. Plus they probably want it to look pretty.

I see all these ads for CA milk. What are farmers doing out there? Getting gouged to have it signed off, or in AG zoning. I am in mixed AG zoning. If I was right in a town, they may have rules about making it pretty, dunno. Probably depends on town.

Think of all the trees that will have to die, to build it with conventional framing.

/ California permit for a pole barn #14  
Why do people live in CA?

Problem is, they are moving out of CA, and ruining other states.

/ California permit for a pole barn #15  

Very true, and I'm in one of the states they come to.:smiley_aafz:

/ California permit for a pole barn #16  
Building code enforcement in CA is the responsibility of the county,
not the state.

Yes, the building authority is the county or the city. However, there is a CA state building code
that, supposedly, can not be superceded by a city or county. So, a county could not say, disallow
Romex-type wiring, which is allowed by the state. Good luck fighting that battle.

Anyway, I believe all 58 counties have an "Ag Exemption", which is a good thing, but it may
not allow any plumbing or electrical, as in my county. You have to "prove" an ag use, too.

The most rural of CA's counties have the least code requirements, so you guys up North may
have it best.

Getting an engineer to sign off on what you plan is a PITA, but it is usually enough for
the building authority to allow many different types of construction.

I am not promoting unpermitted construction, but I have run into that problem in
the state. Enforcement is usually by complaint and recording a violation on the
title. Buying/selling such a property is done "as-is" with disclosure. BTDT.

I am certainly not going to defend CA, except for the weather. The weather makes
it worth living here. Barely. And that's after also having resided in OH, MI, MA, AZ,
and IL.

/ California permit for a pole barn #17  
California is a earthquake prone state so they're probably wanting a PE to look at the design for seismic reasons. Because agricultural buildings are not occupied, they have a lower risk category that may be exempted from this requirement. It's not always about big government, once in a while they're actually trying to protect you from yourself.

/ California permit for a pole barn #18  
San Luis Obispo county, first requires you have at least 20 acres, for a pole barn, then it can best be built under and ag permit. Cost is minimal. It goes by county, and this is one of the nicer ones. By the way, if you live rural, good luck getting fire insurance on any new buildings. Almost no insurance companies are insuring in "high fire risk zones". We even have to pay an extra "fee" to CalFire since we live rural, even though the fire department is less than three miles from me, on my same paved, 2 lane, road.

Insurance companies are driving MANY of the new building codes. You could have a home built from concrete blocks here, and metal roof, and they will not insure it.

/ California permit for a pole barn #19  

Because about 320 days a year I can go where I want, when I want and not worry about freezing to death, or 80% humidity, or whether or not it will be sunny. I can travel to the mountains for a hike, or ski (if I still did) a hunt or camping, or fishing, or I can go to the beach for a swim, or surf fishing (yummy perch) or just laying on the beach. All in the same day if I choose. I never have to worry about salt rusting my car, or just about anything rusting my car, (not so if you LIVE on the beach) and both of ours are at least 10 years old. Still look new.

Since i have bad asthma, and allergies, I do not have to request a non-smoking table in a restaurant or any place else for that matter. I grew up with parents that smoked in the car and home all the time. I now have 60% of normal lung capacity. I worked right next to people (literally seated as an Air Traffic Controller) that smoked and could care less what my issues were.

I HATE the politics and gun laws here, but sacrifices have to be made no matter where you live. I have lived in many states, OH (born there, lived for 19 years before the Army), Washington, South Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, and even more states, for short periods of time, and except for politics, overall this is the best one. Is there a LOT of weirdness here, yup, but I can name cities in some VERY conservative states where it goes on as well, so no one is immune. Guess what, it WILL get worse elsewhere, not because of this state, but because of social liberalism. Everyone wants free crap, and they want to be part of a "special" group with special rights. If you think that's all in or from CA, it's time to wake up.

My electricity bills average $110 a month, all year, and I use one 280 gallon tank of propane a year. I live on 3 acres, rural, and am one of the smallest lots around. The neighbors properties I deer hunt on, each have 160 acres. We pretty much do what we want out here, and no one bothers us. They don't want to either.

I have my house, my well, my workshop, and my 5th wheel all hooked to power. I have 2 meters, 200 amp each and the electric bill is for both. The propane covers heating, cooking and hot water, the elec covers lights and AC.

Look up Atascadero, Ca in the weather channels to see our average temps. That's the closest "big" town near me. Santa Margarita is closer, but about 1200 pop.

THAT's why we live here. We pay for it, but worth it in many respects. Do I love everything here, nope, not by a long shot, and not since Reagan left. Even he was a bit liberal in some respects. As long as University professors are allowed for force feed out kids with their liberal garbage, it will continue to get worse. Joseph Stalin said "If he could have our kids for three years, in schools, he would change the world." Well most degrees take 4, so I guess he was right.

/ California permit for a pole barn #20  
Seems to me 1) just buy a kit pole barn that comes with engineered plans and bypass a lot of complexity.

2) I read today that Southern California is way overdue for 'the big one', an earthquake including possibly 1,800 deaths. Tension along the San Andreas Fault has reached extreme levels and is going to cut loose sooner or later. So ... requiring plans engineered for earthquake stability is in the public interest. Also in the interest of the insurance companies who may have lobbied for that requirement.

"I'm from the government, I'm here to help you". I loved to start an audit with that when reviewing contractors' claimed costs for highway construction Contract Change Orders performed under Time&Materials. It was rare to find an overbilling and nearly always that was an argument about assigning relevant indirect, overhead costs to the task, very rare to find a mis-statement of direct costs.

Earthquakes? During the 1994 Northridge Earthquake (Los Angeles) (link to photos) the state's jobsite managers at highway construction sites were directed to use your own judgement, get all available contractor's forces out there Right Now and start rescue efforts, stabilize things, move debris, make detours. We don't have time to negotiate price just send your crews out there the moment we get off the phone. HQ Auditors will later visit you to review your claimed costs. A year later - that was me. The traditional contractors hadn't overbilled, but a few new firms didn't realize their claimed costs had to be supported by provable labor and material costs. In one case I dis-allowed a subcontractor's entire claim for materials when he couldn't show me any purchase documents (and told me some real whoppers about he bought everything on his wife's credit card etc). We took that amount away from the prime contractor and let him settle with this sub ... Your Tax Dollars At Work. :D