California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report

/ California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report #291  
I have a friend that tried to get into the rental market. He's about 20 years younger than I am. He bought a decent house for about $18K. Fixed it up with the intention of renting it out until it got paid for then moving into it. The renters did the first/last month deposit, paid one or two month's rent, then stopped paying. It took 3 months to get them evicted. He got into the house and they had taken a hammer to every plaster wall, every porcelain fixture, every appliance surface, every piece of woodwork, and poured cement into every drain and the toilet. He sold it to an out of town corp at a loss and got out of that dream pretty quick.
And then there is the hue and cry over the lack of "affordable housing"...

/ California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report #292  
For me it's not the tenants per se but having my hands tied by ever increasing regs and mandates.

In what world can under penalty of law can I be forced to maintain habitability including utilities but the renter gets a pass paying rent?... not just for a couple of months but almost two years?

Or emergency legislation limiting rent increase to 1/2 of published consumer price index?

Or just cause eviction that means tenant for life and that of their descendants unless I can prove one of the few exceptions in court?

The new one on the table is requiring residential landlords to provide cooling the same as heating...

Plus if your rental is not occupied a $5,000 vacant unit tax kicks in.

Can anyone say NNN commercial leases?

Last edited:
   / California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report #293  
Like what I experienced, after I had listed the 5-unit property for sale? The long term tenant in the large unit went flaky. I stopped by and without giving notice, he was having a move-out yard sale including selling my drapes etc.

I immediately listed it for rent so income would be continuous. Lady told me she was an 'entertainer' at a nearby high class bar. I assumed singer. Went to collect rent her first month and the cutie who answered the door was in a negligee, classic Playboy Mansion look. As well as the cutie I could see behind her. :p Tenant came to the door and said these are her daughters. Whatever lady, I just want the rent, not 'in-kind payment'.

Next time I drove by in an evening, there was a row of motorcycles at the curb, likely a club.

As soon as it sold, the buyer asked me if I had realized what he just bought. ....

... Are your 'unusual situations' similar?
No, no :ROFLMAO: . . . now that is an unusual situation! No, my situations are the fact that 2 old spinsters have lived in 2 different houses that I rent to them for over 20 years each, with no fuss no muss.

/ California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report #294  
No, no :ROFLMAO: . . . now that is an unusual situation! No, my situations are the fact that 2 old spinsters have lived in 2 different houses that I rent to them for over 20 years each, with no fuss no muss.
You are fortunate. My grandparents had Mrs. Clark, who never missed a payment on 12 years living directly beneath them. She was great!

Then they had the professional burglar that tapped into the upstairs apartment and stole electricity from that tenant.

And several couples that broke into the basements of the houses and left piles of dirty diapers and all of their kitchen garbage.

Splendid.

/ California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report #295  
You are fortunate. My grandparents had Mrs. Clark, who never missed a payment on 12 years living directly beneath them. She was great!

Then they had the professional burglar that tapped into the upstairs apartment and stole electricity from that tenant.

And several couples that broke into the basements of the houses and left piles of dirty diapers and all of their kitchen garbage.

Splendid.
Now I have seen some backwards countries and people . . . it still amazes me that this goes on in our supposedly advanced 2022 country.

/ California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report #296  
Now I have seen some backwards countries and people . . . it still amazes me that this goes on in our supposedly advanced 2022 country.
Don't get me started!

Ok I'll summarize: I learned there are kinds of people out there I didn't know existed.

/ California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report #297  
It didn't happen 40 years ago. Other than hippies panhandling for spare change, I had never seen a beggar on the street in America. The first time I ever heard of a renter stripping wiring and plumbing out of a house to sell the copper was about '87 or '88. By 20 years ago I was seeing guys who inherited a free house from their parents and trashed it until it fell down around them.

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.

/ California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report #298  

Splendid.
A guy and his wife rented a house up the road from me for about 5 years or so. When they moved out, the owner found that he had not paid for trash pickup during that time. Instead he literally stood at the top of the basement steps and threw the bags of garbage down into the basement. 5 years worth!

The owner wound up bulldozing the place.

/ California Targets Private Property With Latest Water Well Fees, Charges: Report #300  
A guy and his wife rented a house up the road from me for about 5 years or so. When they moved out, the owner found that he had not paid for trash pickup during that time. Instead he literally stood at the top of the basement steps and threw the bags of garbage down into the basement. 5 years worth!

The owner wound up bulldozing the place.
House next to my dad's was like that. The construction company he worked for was contracted to clean the place out.

There were tight paths through the 1300 sqft house. As they filled up one room, they closed it off and quit using it.

I believe it took 8 large roll off dumpsters to haul all the crap off.

Now I quit my trash pickup when the company started getting really creative with their billing.

They would wait till it was past due before sending on invoice.

I got fed up and told them to kiss off. But I hauled the trash bags into work and tossed them in the dumpster. Work got charged the same whether it was empty or full. And it was usually only half full upon pickup so my boss didn't mind.

Boss is on a mandatory charge in the town he lives in or else he would do the same thing.