Oil & Fuel California's Tough new rules for Diesel Engines

/ California's Tough new rules for Diesel Engines #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
According the A.P... California air quality regulators adopted the nation's toughest emission standards for off-highway diesel vehicles such as bulldozers, backhoes, airport baggage trucks, forklifts, ski resort snow cats... etc.

The story states the rules will eventually force the oldest and most polluting equipment out of service and require construction firms and other companies to spend billions on new vehicles or engine retrofits.

I wonder how long before other states follow???

/ California's Tough new rules for Diesel Engines #2  
ultrarunner said:
I wonder how long before other states follow???

Afternoon Ultrarunner,
Hopefully no time soon ;) I really dont have $25,000 kicking around to replace mine ! :eek: Especially when it works great the way it is !

/ California's Tough new rules for Diesel Engines #3  
I hope Terminator lives up to his name and does something for us little folk's

:)

/ California's Tough new rules for Diesel Engines #4  
Shortly after the Governator gets elected in one of the other 49 states;)

/ California's Tough new rules for Diesel Engines #5  
   / California's Tough new rules for Diesel Engines
I don't think the Gov will be much help... if anything, he just returned from his European trip where he spoke on how proud he is that California is taking leadership on Global Warming and Emissions...

Big Industry is behind him because it is a boon to heavy equipment, auto and truck manufacturers... of course at our expense.

Several bills in the California Legislature are aimed at making it more expensive to operate older vehicles. AB 616 calls for annual Emission Inspections for older cars with the increased revenue used to "Voluntarily" scrap older vehicles.

/ California's Tough new rules for Diesel Engines #7  
im confused.... its off-highway vehicals....

they dont need to be liecensed.

so what are you going to come confiscate my soot spewing tractor, buldozer, backhoe etc off my private property?

Id like to see you try :cool:

/ California's Tough new rules for Diesel Engines #8  
Since most states are downwind of California maybe their cleanup will lessen the burden of the downwind states to the point dirty air will be insignificant. MikeD74T

/ California's Tough new rules for Diesel Engines #9  
California's air emsission are already so low that the majority of their air pollution comes from CHINA..... :eek:

/ California's Tough new rules for Diesel Engines #10  
MikeD74T said:
Since most states are downwind of California maybe their cleanup will lessen the burden of the downwind states to the point dirty air will be insignificant. MikeD74T
And that's the heart of the issue. I and the original poster are on the coast, upwind of everyone. Why should we care what happens over in the inland valleys where the smog stacks up against the Sierras? But the governor and legislature have to take a broader view, looking out for all the residents. In the past California has had some of the smoggiest cities in the nation. If air quality rules help those in downwind states, that's fine too.

AP had a more extensive article than the Reuters article that Skypup referenced. See:

cbs13.com - Calif. Regulators Adopt Nation's Toughest Standard

Excerpt:
The pollutants targeted in the rule -- particulate matter and nitrogen oxide -- are blamed for premature deaths, respiratory ailments and cardiovascular problems. The standards under consideration are projected to prevent 4,000 premature deaths, 110,000 asthma-related cases, 9,200 cases of acute bronchitis and 680,000 lost work days over 20 years, according to an analysis by the air board.

The requirements also would save up to $26 billion in health care costs by 2030, according to air board projections.

The rule impacts primarily construction companies. It exempts all agriculture, engines used less than 100 hours per year, and engines under 25 horsepower.

Construction representatives used the cost of replacing the present fleet with all-new equipment and said this would cost $13 billion, while ARB analysts estimated $3 billion/year increased cost for more expensive replacement machines and upgrades to existing equipment.

Los Angeles has gone from unbearable air - literally, the kids weren't allowed to go outside for recess -, to tolerable air after similar rules were enacted. It's not pretty, but it's necessary.

Last edited: