Calling all car buffs

/ Calling all car buffs #1  

hazmat

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460HSTC
Now that I've got your attention, I have a boring question.

I need help cleaning the windows on the wife's '01 Civic. There is some kind of haze developing on the inside & windex is not taking it off. We are not smokers. It is bad enough now that if the sun is at the right angle, it is difficult to see out.

What should I use to clean them? I did a search on google & the answers were all over the map, ammonia, vinegar, even RUB A POTATOE on it! Is one brand of glass cleaner better, should I order the expensive stuff from one of the auto enthusiest catalogs (don't remember which one it's at home)?

Thanks in advance.

/ Calling all car buffs #2  
Viegar is great stuff for a lot of things but we use the old Heloise recipe..

1 cup lemon (non-sudsing) amonia,
1 cup filtered water
1 cup rubbing alcohol

Actually, we add more alcohol. It keeps the streaks down. We use this recipe for everything glass or plastic..

Sometimes, inside car windows need a few washings to get the film off. I think it's stuff from all the vinyl they use in cars.

While on trips and all of a sudden you get a rain shower and the outside winshield gets road film and the wipers just streak everything, pour a can of coke on the windshield and turn on the washers or let the rain rinse it off....

Tom

/ Calling all car buffs #3  
I haven't seen this problem in a while. In the 80's it was supposed to be caused by the plasticizers used in the dash, carpet and upholstery(if the back of the seats are vinyl). I fought with it on a 1983 Nissan sentra.

This is what eventually worked for me. Clean the inside of the windows with any ammonia based glass cleaner to get rid of the haze. Then coat the inside of the windows with Rain-X or similar windshield rain repellant. Follow the manufacturer's instructions. Rain-X is solvent based so don't drip any. Also have all the doors open so you don't asphyxiate yourself.

That solved my hazing problem. I also use to leave the windows open a crack as much as possible. This is/was supposed to allow the plasticizer gas to escape.

I was under the assumption that the manufacturers had addressed this problem. Surprised to hear it is still around. I said many an unpleasant word as I continually cleaned my Nissan's windows. I don't know where I heard about Rain-X on the inside but it did the trick for me.

Phil

/ Calling all car buffs #4  
Is it actually on the surface of the glass or is it inside the class? Safety glass is laminated and, while rare, can start to separate.

If it is on the surface and you can't remove it with normal cleaners, take it to an Automotive glass shop in the area. They may have seen it before and have a solution.

/ Calling all car buffs
Thanks for the tips guys, it appears to be on the surface of the glass (vs. delamination), you can see swirl marks from her attempt to clean it with windex. I'll try the cocktail solution & report back progress.

/ Calling all car buffs #6  
I have found that using newspaper instead of paper towels makes a big difference when cleaning the windows. I have no idea why.

/ Calling all car buffs #7  
Stephen,

Get the pressure washer out and.. Seriously sounds like interior outgassing in the heat were having as mentioned before. Should go away in a bit, but try the concoctions mentioned - that should clean it up.

I've used Rainex too inside with good results - minimizes fogging on damp days.

Carl

/ Calling all car buffs #8  
Hazmat, you can try Stoner's invisible glass cleaner. I get this allot in both my wife's 2000 Toyota and my 1998 GMC. I use the glass cleaner (make sure your windows are cool) and it takes it away. You can find it at any major auto parts store or at www.stonersolutions.com they make great products.

/ Calling all car buffs
Well I finally found a spray bottle to put Hoosier's cocktail in. It worked pretty well. Still a couple of streaks, maybe add more alcohol next time around. I only cleaned it once & it made a huge difference. I'll do it again as soon as the weather cools down a bit (supposed to tomorrow). We've had a week of 90+ days, which is hot for us New Englanders.

Next time I'm going to try the newspaper trick as the cheap-o paper towels left a bit of lint.

A buddy at work suggested very hot water. Said as hot as you can stand to put your hand in & get new water when it starts to cool down. Anybody tried that?