Calling all Gearheads

/ Calling all Gearheads #12  
I would go for the gear model. I grew up using a gear tractor but have used both. The price difference and what you give up in horsepower just isn't worth it in my opinion. When I purchased mine the difference in price was more than enough for my finish mower.

/ Calling all Gearheads #13  
wichiwichi - Your point may be a valid one, but a clarification is in order. With modern hydrostatics, "what you give up in horsepower" is less than 15% when (and this is important) you're comparing the hydro to a straight gear model but about 5% when you're comparing the hydro to a "shuttle shift", "power reverser", etc. Most dealers, even, don't realize this, so don't even bother to ask 'em. If you want to verify it, talk to your favorite brand's tech/engineering department. So there's always a lot of talk about "what you lose in horsepower", but when you get down to numbers, it's pretty meaningless talk, for most people's needs. Your needs, of course, may vary. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

My own take on this issue is: If you're in a situation where a loss in hp of 5% (or even 15%) is going to regularly cramp your style, you're looking at too small a tractor. Another important factor is that the hydrostatics make so much better use of the horsepower from a traction standpoint (remember, the idea is not to spin the tires, right?) that you can still do more with the less you've got left.

Another point in rebuttal: No amount of horsepower is worth your safety, and hydros are substantially safer, no matter how much or how little experience you've got.

/ Calling all Gearheads #14  
Well, Kip, I ain't no gearhead in the religious sense, but I do have a gear tractor. It's my first and only, but I'm sure my 1 year and 60-some hours in the seat make me almost as qualified as Mark Chalkley, so here's my penny and a half --

You won't miss what you never had. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

When I was shopping, I never even tried HST. That was mostly 'cuz I was looking for the most tractor I could find for the least number of bucks, just as you are, and that pretty much ruled out HST for me. Even in the used market, the difference was at least a couple of thousand bucks, and since I wanted a FEL and some attachments, I decided I could put up with a manual shift. After all, this is only my first tractor, isn't it?
crazy.gif

Fact is, now that I have a feel for what the machine can do, and I'm already thinking about what my next tractor will be, I'm not 100% convinced that I will get HST even then. It will probably come down to budget again (ain't it always that way), and I'll have to choose between extra hydraulics, a 4-in-1 bucket or HST. So far, my choice is already made. HST may have to wait until I win the lottery. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

[Disclaimer: I am obviously HST ignorant, and I am probably just trying to rationalize/justify the tractor I have, so remember the proverbial grain of salt when you read this message.]

Mark may have a point about the safety thing, but to tell the truth, I'm not sure I understand that one. Betcha he may clarify that for us, though.
wink.gif

/ Calling all Gearheads #15  
The only feature on a hydro that I see as safer, is the fact the tractor stops when you take your foot off the pedal. I'm sorry, but I feel saftey is 95% the operator's responsibility. If you can't opererate a tractor safely, be it gear or hydro, you have no business being on a tractor, or any machinery for that mater. Lets face it, you could kill yourself using a screwdriver if you do something stupid with it. As far as a hydro being more effecient, I won't by that until I see hard facts, such as a fair unbiased test like the Nebraska University tractor tests. Even if the hydro is more efficient, is it that much more to make it a "must have" for your average CUT owner ? I could see if you were using the tractor commercially, and time was money, but even then it would take quite a bit of time to make up for the extra money you have to put out for the hydro at the get go.

I have nothing against hydro, I just get tired of hearing how a gear tractor is so much less effective than a hydro.

/ Calling all Gearheads #16  
Hydro's are over rated and to expensive
They won't do anything i can't do right now.
a syncronized transmission with reverser will do it nearly as fast!!

/ Calling all Gearheads #17  
Ahhh....another philosophical question on the meaning of tractor life,eh!

What I feel it all boils down to is:
Get what you are comfortable with and can afford!!

Is one better than the other....hmmm......You know what they say about opinions......

Is one safer than the other....Depends more on the loose nut behind the steeering wheel I'd have to say!

I agree with Mark on the point about the hp loss,get a bigger tractor to begin with!!

/ Calling all Gearheads #18  
<font color=blue>My question, should I get the tractor I want without the hydrostatic transmission or should I go a little smaller and get the hydro.</font color=blue>
Kip, I think you answered your own question /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. You wanted a hydro of a certain horsepower and attachment configuration. Other financial priorities have reduced your tractor budget so you're investigating ways of spending less. While I prefer hydros, I made the recommendation I did, i.e., buy a used version of what you want, because I've been in a similar situation although not about a tractor. I bought something that wasn't really what I wanted and regretted it. I get the impression you're looking for reasons why a gear tractor will be 'just as good'.

My recommendation...Get a used version of what you want, not a new version of what you don't.

/ Calling all Gearheads #19  
I've had a couple tractors with standard transmission, and now i have a hydro. For me hydro is easier by far. But more important going down hills I hardly have to touch the brakes. I feel much safer with the hydro for that situation. If it was my money i'd go hydro.

/ Calling all Gearheads #20  
<font color=blue>I bought something that wasn't really what I wanted and regretted it.</font color=blue>

I have to agree with Mike on this 100%. Get what you really want. The point I was making is you shouldn't feel that you would be limited with a gear tractor. If hydro is really what you want, then definitely get it. The only other suggestion I would make, is to go out and test drive both styles of transmission, just to make sure.