Calling all M4900 owners

/ Calling all M4900 owners #1  

bobbyjak

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 5205 4wd
Looking to buy the M4900 FWD..Pros, cons on this tractor..Also looking at NH TC55DA..

Thanks

/ Calling all M4900 owners #2  
I bought an M4900 April 2005 and I love. It replaced a 1957 420 JD. I have about 65 hours and no problems. Be sure and get 4 wheel drive, as you will need it with FEL work. I would buy the same tractor again if I had it to do over again. The more I use it the more I like it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Calling all M4900 owners #3  
We looked seriously at the M4900. It is a great tractor, but in the end we went with a M6800. The M4900 might have been able to do all the tasks we wanted, but our future plans called for a bit more horsepower and we decided to get those extra ponies now. We expect the M6800 to be on our farm for the next 30 years or more.

/ Calling all M4900 owners #4  
I've had a 2wd M4900 for three years and I love it. It's the best utility tractor I have ever owned.

TBone

/ Calling all M4900 owners #5  
Had my 2WD M4900 since February of this year. It replaced a trusty rusty Ford 3000. Since then it has plowed, tilled, drug, scraped, hauled, pulled and bush hogged all over my place with ease.
It cut my hogging time from nine hours to seven! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I didn't need a FEL and thought the 2WD would be fine. My bad /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Wish I had the 4WD now.
I added the Top-n-Tilt with my quick hitch so implement changes are a joy! Good thing 'cuz you can't see the 3PH arms and lift the 3PH lever while off the seat. Man, that Kioti rear lever would be handy sometimes...
If I had more $$ to spend, the M6800 hydraulic shuttle would reduce my hogging time but that would cut into my beer money /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
So far, I like the M4900 very much and would buy it again tomorrow.
Good luck on this decision!

/ Calling all M4900 owners #6  
I'm looking at M4800 (don't need extras of 4900 and wanted to save $). Will be pulling Woods 72" mower (702 lbs) and Athens Plow # 55 Disk Harrow (1104lbs) for maintenance of wildlife openings. Will I need to add weights (suitcase type in bumper rack) on front end? Tractor will be delivered next weekend. Implements already on hand. Want to make sure that rig is balanced whether mowing or disking. Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this issue.

/ Calling all M4900 owners #7  
Yes, you will need to add weights if you don't have a loader. With a loader, you will be OK. On a 2WD model, the weight bracket should already be mounted on the tractor. You can add up to 10 105 lb. weights, but you shouldn't need a full rack. That Athens disc is a heavy disc though.
Lewis

/ Calling all M4900 owners #8  
I bought mine last august the year is a 2000 with 304 hours on it. so far I can through anything at it no problem .real great on fuel uses 1/3 the fuel my old ford 4000 used. no problems so far and 1st owner also had no problems at all hours now 350 tractor is 4x4 with 1002 loader r4 tires

/ Calling all M4900 owners #9  
I would appreciate your guess at how many weights I would need to counterbalance the disc harrow and brushbull cutter. The reason I'm asking is because I would like to have the equipment delivered with the bumper/weight bracket and weights installed. Should I guess at this or just ask the dealer to figure it based on his assessment of need. He should be able to do this as I'm purchasing the Athens Plow harrow through him as well. Any thoughts on how to best go about ensuring that the tractor and equipment are properly balanced?

/ Calling all M4900 owners #10  
I use four 100# weights for my International 7-foot cutter and that feels right. The hog will weigh in around 800# so for a heaver hog or disc, consider adding six weights.

Not too much, though, or you'll see understeer issues with the implement off and heading downhill. Don't ask how I know this but trust me..... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif