Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines?

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #41  
A hand saw will work fine on saplings. :thumbsup:

I do have one of those :p .

If you have long enough chains that they will not hit your tractor, chain up and pull. I'll bet you can pull several at a time.
If you are worried about them hitting your tractor, cut them off several foot above ground level then hook the chain to them and pull them out!

I might use a fel to pull them out because I do have long chains, but I need like 60' of chain... :(

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #42  
10' - 15' saplings? You should be able to root 'em right up with your grapple! I can't tell you how many small trees I've ripped out of the ground with the FEL grapple on my 110! Start about a foot or so back from the trunk with the root tines and curl, curl and curl some more until the whole enchilada is balled up and the top of the trees are laying on the ground.

You're gonna end up with a dirty root wad... I clamp the trees along the trunk line with the wad hanging off to one side of the grapple and shake. Or let 'em sit in the rain for a few weeks and after a dry spell - shake 'em again.

AKfish

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines?
I started a thread in the Projects section for the house construction, but figured I'd post a few action pics here as well.

Collecting cut logs and adding them to the main pile:

day6-2.jpg

Getting ready to skid out a bunch of felled trees:

day6-4.jpg

Here's one pulled up to the main pile:

day6-6.jpg

Lifting it up onto the stack. I really need to get my rears filled. Had it not been for the fact that I'm loading facing uphill, I would have tipped forward (I still did a little bit raising the largest trees onto the pile)

day6-7.jpg

Boy that's a lot of logs!

day6-8.jpg

I'm thinking about finding someone with a logging truck to haul it the 10 miles to the mill instead of me doing it 7 tons at a time with my goose-neck and 3500. I found one guy that will do it for $200 per load. I figure an empty logging truck tips the scale at around 25,000 lbs and is around 100,000 lbs loaded real tight. So that's 75,000 lbs of timber per trip, or 38 tons, which @ $38/ton comes to $1,444. So he can do in one trip what it would take me 5 trips to do, which at his rate would be $40 per trip. Seems like a fair deal even though the mill is only 10 miles away. The catch is that it will be very hard for him to make the 1st turn getting out, from one private street to the other. Also, the neighbors will likely complain about a ~100,000 lbs truck tearing up the blacktop that they paid to put down.

The perfect compromise would be to find someone with a straight logging truck that can do 40,000 lbs per load @ $100 a load. :D

I would not be able to load anything but my own goose-neck trailer with my tractor, but the Case operator said he would be happy to load up a logging truck using the excavator (the way he operates, it wouldn't take him long at all).

Last edited:
   / Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #44  
10' - 15' saplings? You should be able to root 'em right up with your grapple! I can't tell you how many small trees I've ripped out of the ground with the FEL grapple on my 110! Start about a foot or so back from the trunk with the root tines and curl, curl and curl some more until the whole enchilada is balled up and the top of the trees are laying on the ground.

You're gonna end up with a dirty root wad... I clamp the trees along the trunk line with the wad hanging off to one side of the grapple and shake. Or let 'em sit in the rain for a few weeks and after a dry spell - shake 'em again.

AKfish

I was asking about the saplings haha :D it was about trees so I asked here :laughing:

I don't have a grapple... :( I only have 4 Valve loaders not 6 valves. :frown: I did pick up another tractor though, a 6430 Premium + 673 Loader, 1400 Hours + or -. Worked on golf courses and loaded sand with a tiny bucket. :thumbsup: it will have new tires 520/R38's and 480/R24's I think they are Michelins. So I thought it had a easy life. Has a 24 speed, refrigerator :D, automatic temperature control, air seat, non electronic loader joystick :thumbsup:. I like the mechanical lever more cause it the electronic ones can't shift gears on the Autoquad to change gears. I got it for around 68k

The problem is that the trees are far back with only a 7ft gap between a building and a greenhouse. I can get it at either side but one side is tight and dry, and one side is really wet.

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #45  
Let us know how much more it costs to repair the paint, dents and broken glass. Than just calling in somebody with a dozed or a articulated industrial loader.

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #46  
I have some 10' - 15' saplings growing by my building, best way to get them down? I want roots and the tree gone. Need some ideas, not wanting to rent anything.

log chain works well. just wrap it around the tree 3 or 4 times and hook it. pull with drawbar. Or you can safely push 10 or 15 foot tall small saplings if they are alive. Never push anything with dead branches unless you want them on your hood or head. I have pulled over lots of 30 to 40 foot trees, just hook the chain up as high as you can reach, and then add 2 more 20 foot chains. Make sure when the tree falls you have plenty of safety margin in case you have mis-estimated the height of the tree.. you don't need the branches down on your head.

James K0UA

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #47  
I started a thread in the Projects section for the house construction, but figured I'd post a few action pics here as well.

Collecting cut logs and adding them to the main pile:

day6-2.jpg

Getting ready to skid out a bunch of felled trees:

day6-4.jpg

Here's one pulled up to the main pile:

day6-6.jpg

Lifting it up onto the stack. I really need to get my rears filled. Had it not been for the fact that I'm loading facing uphill, I would have tipped forward (I still did a little bit raising the largest trees onto the pile)

day6-7.jpg

Boy that's a lot of logs!

day6-8.jpg

I'm thinking about finding someone with a logging truck to haul it the 10 miles to the mill instead of me doing it 7 tons at a time with my goose-neck and 3500. I found one guy that will do it for $200 per load. I figure an empty logging truck tips the scale at around 25,000 lbs and is around 100,000 lbs loaded real tight. So that's 75,000 lbs of timber per trip, or 38 tons, which @ $38/ton comes to $1,444. So he can do in one trip what it would take me 5 trips to do, which at his rate would be $40 per trip. Seems like a fair deal even though the mill is only 10 miles away. The catch is that it will be very hard for him to make the 1st turn getting out, from one private street to the other. Also, the neighbors will likely complain about a ~100,000 lbs truck tearing up the blacktop that they paid to put down.

The perfect compromise would be to find someone with a straight logging truck that can do 40,000 lbs per load @ $100 a load. :D

I would not be able to load anything but my own goose-neck trailer with my tractor, but the Case operator said he would be happy to load up a logging truck using the excavator (the way he operates, it wouldn't take him long at all).

Thanks for the pictures. Love seeing your pictures! In the first picture looks like your front tires are squatted down a little, how much do you think you are lifting?

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #48  
I don't have a rotary cutter or saw. Hahaha. :D. Can I just use a chain and pull them up? Or drag them out? Their not very thick. Or spray gramoxone on them so it kills the plant cells and dies and browns up and rip them out.
Before I got my backhoe, I pulled up by the root a couple hundred small saplings up to 25 feet tall and 4" in diameter using a chain and my tractor. Smaller ones, I used my RTV 900 and chains as it was much easier to get in and out of and get to the trees. Amazing what that little UTV would pull. IF you don't have either of those, a pickup truck with a strong bumper and long chain will work. Just hook the chain about 12-18" above the ground so it bends and pulls on the whole trunk. It works better if the ground is wet as the roots come out better, but you also have a bit less traction.
I had this big area by a creek that was thick as hair on a dogs back with sweetgum saplings and medium sized trees. I got a lot of them with my tractor and bush hog, some up to 1" with a weedeater with a saw blade, some with a chainsaw but the kept coming back by sprouting from the roots. When I used the backhoe and dug up roots and all, it is pretty well free of sprout back now.

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #49  
IMG_1164.JPGIMG_1165.JPG

This is how it looks after removing hundreds of small to medium sized sweet gums over a two or three year period. Finally finished it up without sweating too much with the back hoe. It is hard work dragging a chain back and forth 40 feet for each tree in 100F temps or 30F temps., chainsawing and dragging brush by hand to clear from the thicket, but with the backhoe and hydraulic thumb, in less than a day, it put the remaining trees on the ground and in a pile and never left the TLB. MAN WHY DID I WAIT SO DARNED LONG TO BUY THAT THING.
edit: The area in the first photo where leaves are on the ground by the fence is about all that was open when I bought the place, the rest was thick with sweet gum trees from 12" large to 1/4" small and constantly coming up from the sweetgum balls and root sprouts. By clearing it out, I lost my doe deer that raised a fawn there every year, but it sure looks better now. I can even see the back pasture across the creek
Edit: in the first photo where leaves are by the fence is about all that was open when I got the place> The rest was overgrown with 1/4" to 12" diameter saplings to medium sized sweet gum trees so thick that you couldn't walk thru them. I can now see my back pasture thru the trees. NO Deer habitat now but then again, I don't have that doe eating on my fruit trees either.

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #50  
Might just be time to upgrade to a tandem dually trailer.