Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines?

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #81  
   / Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #82  
Well here in MD it's expensive, real expensive IMO. These are the rates for 2 years:

GVWR
3,000 lbs. or less $51.00*
3,001 - 5,000 lbs. $102.00*
5,001 - 10,000 lbs. $160.00*
10,001 - 20,000 lbs. $248.00*

On TOP of these fee's you need to apply for a title which is 100$ + tax on the sale (which has a min amount of 38$) AND you have to pay to have the trailer inspected (and of course it must pass).

In Maine, its 100$ (just went up from 90$) for 5 years with no inspections for any trailer (not live in IE no campers). You DO NOT have to be a resident to register your trailers in Maine.
If you trailer weighs over 3k empty and is 95 or newer, they issue you a title which is another 50$ on top of the price.

Last edited:
   / Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #83  
I just found this document for VA fee's, they are MUCH more reasonable. Looks like it's only 100$ for a perment trailer tag or 40$ a year for 4k+GVWR, I am sure they require an inspection, and 10$ for a title. Ahhhhh the joys of living in MD!
http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/dmv201.pdf

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #84  
OK it's the expense of your home state. I was not sure why you recommended it to everyone.

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines?
Appreciate the comments on the trailer. I should have caught up on this thread before going to the DMV yesterday to register the trailer. It is registered at 22,500 lbs, which is what it is rated for. Yes, I got the permanent tag for the $100 bucks one time fee. My '02 Duramax is technically rated for a GCWR of 23,500 lbs.

Here's the first load of logs that I hauled to the mill Monday:

day13-3.jpg

I hit the scales at 29,180 entering the yard and 14,060 leaving, so my payload was 15,120 lbs.

I have never had any issues with the law around here (well, at least not when hauling anything with my trailer ;)).

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #87  
Appreciate the comments on the trailer. I should have caught up on this thread before going to the DMV yesterday to register the trailer. It is registered at 22,500 lbs, which is what it is rated for. Yes, I got the permanent tag for the $100 bucks one time fee. My '02 Duramax is technically rated for a GCWR of 23,500 lbs.

I have never had any issues with the law around here (well, at least not when hauling anything with my trailer ;)).

I my experience the DOT doesn't care so much about what's printed in the door as "GCVWR". Think that is more of a liability thing for Chevy, you pull more than 12,100 and they are not responsible if your truck breaks. You went over there rating so everything is null and void, including any warranty or safety liability. I see trucks pulling over those GCVWR stickers ALLLLLLL the time and the DOT does not seem to care. Some trucks don’t even have that on the door sticker. However, with your trailer registered as is, you are breaking the law anytime the trailer is pined to the truck if you do not have a CDL. Doesn't even matter if it's empty, your true GCVWR (the truck 11,400 GVWR + trailer 22,500 GVWR) is over 26k and they will slap you with a nasty fine, and can even stop your hull (at their discretion). You could then have to have the trailer picked up by a truck that was rated for it, or they might just require a CDL driver to take the truck. Also having a tandem dully, you will stick out like a sore thumb with a light duty truck to the DOT guys. And they have the right to stop you "just to check". You need to get your CDL, or change registration so you don't get fined.

Thanks for the link. Just placed my order for one with the CAT Adapter and filter. Coupon code worked great!

Glad to hear it! I run the short CAT filter as well; I picked up a few extras at the time of my order. I was able to install mine with the head on the truck. I just pulled the wheel liner and could remove the ball without taking anything off the truck. I bought the rebuild kit (o-rings) and spacer but didn't use them because I just didn't feel like taking the head off. Was super easy to install.

Last edited:
Appreciate the advice.

It actually doesn't look too bad to get a CDL in Virginia:

Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

I'll probably go ahead and take the online exam and what not. I need to take my tractor about 100 miles on the Interstate to get rim-guard in my tires sometime soon. It would suck to get pulled over and be stuck until I could make alternate towing arrangement. Sounds like a pullover like that would cost more than the darn rim-guard... :(

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #89  
I'll probably go ahead and take the online exam and what not. I need to take my tractor about 100 miles on the Interstate to get rim-guard in my tires sometime soon. It would suck to get pulled over and be stuck until I could make alternate towing arrangement. Sounds like a pullover like that would cost more than the darn rim-guard... :(

Easily... more expensive! :eek:

AKfish

/ Can a 5058M push over mature yellow pines? #90  
Appreciate the advice.

It actually doesn't look too bad to get a CDL in Virginia:

Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Good call. I was going to stay out of the CDL stuff, but JordanFTW is spot on. In VA if the combined weight (rating) is over 26,000 or the trailer is over 10,000 you technically need a class A CDL.

With that said, we have large trucks and trailers and myself nor my father has gotten a CDL yet. If you farm (including tree farming/some forestry) there are different options available. The first is the Farm Use tags, lots of people abuse these, but when used in accordance with the law they are a great savings. With them you can operate any truck or trailer of any weight within 25mi of the farm, for farm use. No DMV plates, registration or anything (you do still need insurance). Second option is "Farm Vehicle" tags. These are actual DMV tags that are for vehicles used for farm use within 150mi of the farm. They are a little cheaper than regular plates and you don't need a CDL regardless of weight if you are operating in those parameters. My father just got a new 4700 International dump truck, plated at 33,000lbs, and can also hook on a 20,000lb trailer, (53,000lb gross) no CDL needed.