can a tactor that is hydrostatic be towed?

/ can a tactor that is hydrostatic be towed? #1  

jenpepper

Tractor
Several
can a tactor that is a powershift be towed?

I know that my 6300 JD that I am haveing starting problems with is a powershift trany and I need to know if it can be towed preferably backwards (b/c of the forks in ft). As luck has it, it broke down in a field that is about 1.2miles from the shop...yippy!!

Sorry I got the tranny type wrong earlie :( :confused2:.

Last edited:
   / can a tactor that is hydrostatic be towed? #2  
I belive that my 6300 that I am haveing starting problems with is a hydrostatic trany and I need to know if it can be towed preferably backwards (b/c of the forks in ft). As luck has it, it broke down in a field that is about 1.2miles from the shop...yippy!!

If it has a two (or more) range transmission, just put the range lever in neutral.

Otherwise, you'll need to find the pin/lever/etc that decouples the hydro (if it has one). My little Kubota G1800 has no way of decoupling the HST, so I had to tow it w/ the rear wheels off the ground when the fuel pump died.

BTW, you might want to mention what make tractor.

/ can a tactor that is hydrostatic be towed? #3  
I dont see why not. Just take it slow and disengage everything that can be.

/ can a tactor that is hydrostatic be towed? #4  
What does the operators manual say? Manufacturers always put that info in the manual to prevent things from being damaged.

This isn't one of those questions to ask random people on the internet. No offense forum members, but it just.....isn't.

Get the info from the manufacturer.

Operator's Manuals for John Deere Equipment

;)

/ can a tactor that is hydrostatic be towed? #5  
What does the operators manual say? Manufacturers always put that info in the manual to prevent things from being damaged.

This isn't one of those questions to ask random people on the internet. No offense forum members, but it just.....isn't.

Get the info from the manufacturer.

Operator's Manuals for John Deere Equipment

;)

And just why isn't it a good question?

/ can a tactor that is hydrostatic be towed? #6  
And just why isn't it a good question?

Because instructions on how to properly move a non-running hydrostatic machine can vary by model and manufacturer. In addition to offering up differing sets of instructions on what to do before moving the machine, there are even differences between machines as to how fast they can be moved once the towing has commenced. Consulting the manufacturer's literature can save a lot of headaches and/or expense later on.

Why risk "trying" a procedure that's not recommended, (and quite possibly warned specifically against), for your machine?

:)

/ can a tactor that is hydrostatic be towed? #7  
Putting it in neutral will certainly allow it to coast or be towed, but will the gears in the transaxle have enough lubrication if you are towing for a long distance?

Wayne

/ can a tactor that is hydrostatic be towed? #8  
A little research on the 'net', and this Forum is one of them, can save you headaches down the road........Perhaps he can stumble upon a person on TBN that's had the same situation, with the same Tractor, worth a shot! I know that I've got a small 318, that has a 'free-wheeling' valve that allows you to screw it down, and push the tractor around. Problem is, the thing is seldom, if ever, used! So when I needed to do it [once?], I ended up pulling that valve apart, and cleaning, to get the needle valves to retract, into the 'drive' position! I don't think it ever hurts to ask the question..........~Scotty

/ can a tactor that is hydrostatic be towed? #9  
What does your tractor have for steering? Mechanical with power assist or straight power (hydraulic). If the latter you could very well have NO steering and if towed backwards the front wheels will turn to the side due to caster effect.
I'd try to lift the forks with a highlift jack, moving the joystick to the UP position while doing so. Then tow it SLOWLY from the front with the rope running under the FEL.

/ can a tactor that is hydrostatic be towed? #10  
Re: can a tactor that is a powershift be towed?

I know that my 6300 JD that I am haveing starting problems with is a powershift trany and I need to know if it can be towed preferably backwards (b/c of the forks in ft). As luck has it, it broke down in a field that is about 1.2miles from the shop...yippy!!

Sorry I got the tranny type wrong earlie :( :confused2:.

Om Our '66 5000 Ford with the "select-O-Matic" power shift towing was not recommended. Not sure about your JD.

I am not sure what all the reasons for this where but would suspect lack of lubrication.