Can a Yanmar compare....

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #31  
Quite frankly Lions, I don't believe you would be happy with a Yanmar, or any used tractor that will require maintenance and upkeep.

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #32  
normde2001 said:
Quite frankly Lions, I don't believe you would be happy with a Yanmar, or any used tractor that will require maintenance and upkeep.

Even new tractors require maintenance and upkeep!!!!!!

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #33  
normde2001 said:

On this one I agree with you norm. I don't think Lions is a good canditate for a grey yanmar. I even go further and say that some folks (not necessarily you lions) don't even need a tractor at all. Just like my neighbor. She is a city slicker and moved out to her five acre farmette. She got a nice 2000bd yannie and all the problems she has run into are operator induced. A great little tractor but she knows absolutely nothing about tractor's. A brand new JD that the dealer would pick up seasonally for checkups etc. would be much greater for her.

Good luck Lions. By the way, my personal yannie is a 2000 that didnt look great but has give me several good seasons with only minor issues. I wouldn't touch a viet rebuild for all the tea in texas.........

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #34  
"A brand new JD that the dealer would pick up seasonally for checkups etc. would be much greater"

Egg-zactly.

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #35  
phatgemi said:
I agree with you norm. I don't think Lions is a good candidate for a grey yanmar.
I'll agree too. Buying any 30 year old equipment is a bit of a venture into the unknown. As I said above, you should have a reserve of a few hundred $ for the unexpected - that's part of the whole acquisition process.

We've seen a few new Yanmar owners come through here who had unreasonable expectations and were seriously offended when the tractor turned out to have some minor issues. A couple of them evolved into the Customer From He#l when their expectations weren't met. I think one threw a snit because his dealer was closed over the weekend or for a national holiday or something. And for some reason each of these guys wants the regulars here to help him gang up on the seller.

Once again - it's 30 year old equipment. Expect some minor variance from brand new condition. Buy from a dealer with a reputation for making good on minor stuff. Don't expect free return shipping for warranty work - you sound silly even mentioning that. (That's what my 'few hundred $ reserve' is for.) Don't buy one if you can't install warranty parts yourself. Don't buy one from a non-dealer if you don't have the experience to appraise what it will take to put it in good operating condition. Don't bad-mouth the brand when you buy from a non-dealer then discover a fault he 'forgot' to mention.

Lions, your attitude of remaining suspicious after several people have sincerely tried to share their experience with you indicates a mismatch with the world of decades-old Yanmars.

You might have a more pleasant buying experience getting a brand new Farm Pro, and the Chinese Tractor Forum has lots of helpful people with plenty of experience to help get through any warranty issues.

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #36  
Well said california. I bought a yanmar that had been sitting for awhile. I knew it would need repairs as the rear pinion gear was out. Being a tinkerer myself and for the price I said what the heck. It turned out to be more than I could handle. But the repairs and the price for the tractor turned out to be way less than what I would have paid for a US market one. Now I have one tough and enjoyable tractor! Motto....If you can't do some repairs yourself or know someone that can. You would be advised to go with a local dealer or manufacturer.

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #37  
Actually i have checked with 2 of my local dealers, niether of them will service grey market machines,

You don't have any one in your area that is a mechanic ( independents that work on any tractors, diesels ) ? Even the deere dealer here will work on yanmars if I supply them with the parts. The Mahindra dealer near me sells/ works on yanmars. Seems that any mechanic with general working knowledge of tractors would work on any tractor if they could get parts.

/ Can a Yanmar compare.... #38  
The John Deere dealer near me works on Yanmars, has sold used Yanmars and has the contract to work on the new Minot brand tractor sold at TSC. Minot's are actually rebadged Jinma's assembled in Indiana and sold through TSC. Maybe a new Minot (Jinma) with service provided by a nearby tractor dealer would be great for Lions.

/ Can a Yanmar compare....
Hi scesnick, The two closest dealers are dealerships. The JD dealer will only work on JD, basically they told me if i showed up there on an old ford they would laugh at me, not quite but close enough. The other is Mahindra, they told me they only work on tractors with dealerships in the US. No i did not ask either why, perhaps when i revisit them i will. For the record, the JD place was packed and didnt seem to be lacking business. The Mahindra dealer had several mixed matched tractors in the shop when i visited.

The reality is that i may buy a tractor from the guy down the road and he's just a guy and the terms of sale are "as is". As far as if i buy a yanmar from someone that sells them for a living and offers a waranty, i will make it clear and in writing, if the waranty is not sufficient for me i will make it an "as is" sale.

Thanks for the input.
Lions

re: "Did you ask why they wouldn't service it? You aren't asking them to warranty the tractor. I guess they don't like having business. I wouldn't worry about the service issue. They are VERY easy to fix yourself, unless you have engine trouble, then any diesel mechanic will most likely help you out.
There is no tractor made that is bullet proof but the Yanmar is a very good tractor. That is why I bought one. That and I didn't feel like paying a few grand for green paint and a JD sticker."

/ Can a Yanmar compare....
Hi Tractors4u.
In Texas it is the law that cars must be sold "as is" or "warranty". I was on the road today and took the time to stop at two of the larger used car lots in town. Both lots sold warrantied cars. I am pretty sure there are places that sell both, and some that only sell "as is". Used car purchases here are governed by the Deceptive Trade Practices - Consumer Protection Act, i think this law governs most used items sold in Texas, but please dont quote me on that.

Again, i would never expect a dealer to send me a mech. The fact that a used tractor seller is willing to give a warranty seems to be good business practice and a good selling point (as with autos). The local Mahindrin dealership sells new tractors with warranties and used tractors of both the "as is" and "waranty" type. The specific used Kuboto i looked at while there was "as is" so i didnt go into detail as to what the warranty was on used tractors as i didnt see any thing else i was interested in. But the tractor was running and only 2 or 3 grand with a 48" brush hog. Thanks for explaining how the warranty process works with good sellers of Yanmar.

I take a little time each day and read through past post, i am learning good and bad things. I try to focus on the positive posters and ignore the negative ones.

I usually can handle "minor" problems on older model cars and rutine maintenace. I know a couple of mechanics in the area and still need to investigate if any have experience with diesels. One in particular has been very fair and respectful with me in the past, two very important things no matter what your selling, either a service or a product.

I am really thinking for me it will be best if i am able to visit where ever i buy a tractor from and run it through its paces, it just makes good sense to me. Thanks for your advise on how go through some of the paces before i commit. I hope to find some one local, but i am fully prepared to travel for a day trip if need be to find the right one. It appears to me that alot of people have alot of negetive things to say about Viet rebuilds and i am sure that will weigh heavy on me as i go through the process.

Thanks for your post. It reminded me i met a couple of ranchers since being in Texas and they use alot of diesel equiptment, i am more then sure they either know how to repair or could give me a good reference. I also now see the need for a decent trailer to haul the machine around with if the need arises, which the majority agree, sooner or later will, with no matter what brand i buy.

I like your web page, i didnt get a chance to surf the whole thing but it looks great and informative.

Thanks again.
Lions