Can anyone link me to a definition of a "firm whack"?

/ Can anyone link me to a definition of a "firm whack"? #21  
To understand a "firm whack" you must first complete a full apprenticeship program, followed by several years of independent hands on work. You must be able to strike the faulty part, encouraging it to miraculously repair itself without damaging it.
Only then will you fully understand the art of the firm whack.

BTW on Fords, it's usually the Bendix, not the starter itself
Dude, you must be a union guy, or a government beaurocrat. :cool: :cool:

/ Can anyone link me to a definition of a "firm whack"? #22  
As in "When my Ford F350 starter wouldn't work the tow truck guy told me to just give it a firm whack"
And how hard is a "light tap"?
When I was young(1960) I worked in a shop for a summer repairing batteries,generators,regulators,starters-- we would sometimes get a call from someone who had recently purchased a rebuilt battery etc and I would go out to try and start the vehicle. Onnce the boss said that model has the starter below where it gets all the road salts and the connection to the battery corrodes quickly. just give it a firm whack with a small ball peen hammer and try again to start it. That worked at least 70 % of the time. then clean the connection. the next step was to pull the starter and it was usually old stiff grease in the solenoid or it gets more complicated from there.

/ Can anyone link me to a definition of a "firm whack"? #23  
Some light tapping might actually do less damage while loosening things up. But if it has reached that state, why not take it to a rebuilder?

/ Can anyone link me to a definition of a "firm whack"? #24  
it is a combination of two nouns or two verbs, they each are both. Meaning to strike without excessive force as used. Look up firm and whack then put the two meanings together. One of the reasons that learning English is so much fun for foreign students.

/ Can anyone link me to a definition of a "firm whack"? #25  
I think you need to reference the three stooges as to different levels and the technology to achieve them. :cool:

For my friends Pinto many years ago to get it unstuck in gear. A 12" pipe wrench to the shaft was the working reference point of firm whack vs. very PO'd whack where the whole car would move.

/ Can anyone link me to a definition of a "firm whack"? #26  
The main reason a "firm whack" is difficult to quantify, is that is a combination of art and science. While technically it should not make sense to hit something with a hammer, it works often enough to consider it a viable alternative to a proper R&R of the stubborn part/s to be struck.
This should not be performed by amateurs, only those professionals who've completed the training can provide this highly skilled and nuanced balance of precise hammering. or as the OP called it, a firm whack.

/ Can anyone link me to a definition of a "firm whack"? #27  
To understand a "firm whack" you must first complete a full apprenticeship program, followed by several years of independent hands on work. You must be able to strike the faulty part, encouraging it to miraculously repair itself without damaging it.
Only then will you fully understand the art of the firm whack.

BTW on Fords, it's usually the Bendix, not the starter itself
When I was in my teens I learned the art of the firm wack from my father who was an aviation mechanic in the navy (1961) and I have given many starters a firm wack with a ball peen hammer over the last 50 or so years.

Usually followed by replacing the Bendix or the starter as soon as possible so I didn't need to crawl under the vehicle to many more times.

/ Can anyone link me to a definition of a "firm whack"? #28  
As in "When my Ford F350 starter wouldn't work the tow truck guy told me to just give it a firm whack"
And how hard is a "light tap"?
When my 1946 Willys Jeep CJ-2A starter stuck last year - I hit it with a hammer as hard as I could - and - it would not dislodge the starter. I had to loosen the bolts and then heard the click when it (the bendix) let go ! It did not hurt the starter - but - I did tear it apart and oiled it good ! Starter fixed !!

/ Can anyone link me to a definition of a "firm whack"? #30  
It depends on which hammer you're using: The "tinker, the "tunker" or the "Smash it All To Hell"