can GC1715 rear wheels be reversed?

/ can GC1715 rear wheels be reversed? #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings. Some subcompact tractor rear wheels can be reversed to gain extra width instead of buying spacers.

In those cases (like the yanmar sc2400) you pull the wheel/tire off and spin it inside out and put the lug bolts back in . . Slick and easy and it increases width of rear wheel stances by a couple inches for each wheel.

In those cases the only negative is the air fill is on the inside of the wheel instead of the outside.

I assume if such a thing can be done with any of the GC1700 series it could be done with all of them. Anybody know more about the possibility?

P.S. tires are turfs so should be no issues with reversal.

/ can GC1715 rear wheels be reversed? #2  
I don't see why not. Just make sure everything clears and try it.

/ can GC1715 rear wheels be reversed?
I figure I'm not the brightest bulb on the christmas tree . . so if it is a good idea . . .someone else would have done it with known results and then instead of trying it . . I'd just do it :)

/ can GC1715 rear wheels be reversed? #4  
Greetings. Some subcompact tractor rear wheels can be reversed to gain extra width instead of buying spacers.

In those cases (like the yanmar sc2400) you pull the wheel/tire off and spin it inside out and put the lug bolts back in . . Slick and easy and it increases width of rear wheel stances by a couple inches for each wheel.

In those cases the only negative is the air fill is on the inside of the wheel instead of the outside.

I assume if such a thing can be done with any of the GC1700 series it could be done with all of them. Anybody know more about the possibility?

P.S. tires are turfs so should be no issues with reversal.

AxleHub, I have a GC1705 and there is no offset in the wheel to make the reversal worthwhile. I've not verified if the wheels are capable of being reversed, only know that reversing them would not give any additional width to the tractor stance. If that doesn't make sense I might can upload a little sketch to explain it better.

Jeff

AxleHub, I have a GC1705 and there is no offset in the wheel to make the reversal worthwhile. I've not verified if the wheels are capable of being reversed, only know that reversing them would not give any additional width to the tractor stance. If that doesn't make sense I might can upload a little sketch to explain it better.

Jeff

That's what I thought too. Without taking a wheel off . . Its not easy to get an accurate inside depth measurement. I was hoping but doubtful. Owners of sc2400 yanmars can reverse and get 2+ inches without spacers.

I'd wanted to add 2+ inch spacers . . But I read that with a 54 inch deck . . Many units are limited to 1.5 inch spacers. So I'm trying to figure out with my unique deck . . what my spacing number might be. Trying to measure with tire profile plus varying the height of the deck too. The only contact potential to be concerned and measuring is the deck wheels to any part of the rear tires with deck at any height. Makes for alot of "moving dimensional changes" to consider :)

/ can GC1715 rear wheels be reversed? #6  
FYI- I have a GC2600 and I think they are the same. I added a set of 2 inch spacers from a Ford ranger and the bolt pattern is perfect. It gives me 2 inches on each side and the don't hi the mower deck wheel in any position and I can run chains without worry in the winter time. Way cheaper from NAPA than buying specific ones from the web.

FYI- I have a GC2600 and I think they are the same. I added a set of 2 inch spacers from a Ford ranger and the bolt pattern is perfect. It gives me 2 inches on each side and the don't hi the mower deck wheel in any position and I can run chains without worry in the winter time. Way cheaper from NAPA than buying specific ones from the web.

Wrangler . . I've put it on my list to check out . . I'd never have thought of an auto supply because I never thought spacers were used anymore in trucks or cars.

/ can GC1715 rear wheels be reversed? #8  

This is a great idea Wrangler. Do you by chance have a part number?

/ can GC1715 rear wheels be reversed? #9  

Is it safe to assume you had to purchase new wheel bolts also?

/ can GC1715 rear wheels be reversed? #10  
Yeah, I purchased a set of conical shaped bolts and nuts. The bolts are fitted in the aluminum spacer and the wheel goes on then the nuts hold the wheel on. The spacer is fitted on to the axle with the stock wheel bolts.

Rich