Toplink Can hydraulic top link exert downpressure?

/ Can hydraulic top link exert downpressure? #1  

mrutkaus

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30HST, Kubota BX-1500,
If I put a hydraulic top link on my Kioti CK30, can i use it to put down-pressure on the grader blade?

Mike

/ Can hydraulic top link exert downpressure? #2  
Nope - if your hitch floats (99% do) all you can do with a hydraulic toplink is to change the "pitch" of the implement (whether it tilts forward or back) - however, with a lot of implements this is REALLY USEFUL - for example, using a box blade (with a fixed rear blade) you can tilt forward a bit allowing the FRONT blade to cut more, or tilt it backward to use the REAR blade as a support to NOT cut with the front blade so much.

HTH... Steve

/ Can hydraulic top link exert downpressure? #3  
Down pressure in any form lifts rear tires an equal amount so you net ZERO. (Newton's Law: Equal and Opposite Reaction.)

This is why HEAVY ground engagement implements are necessary, gravity is all you have.

/ Can hydraulic top link exert downpressure? #4  
Technically you can, but as a practical matter like everybody has said, no.

I rebuilt my PHD to fit on my quick hitch. It only works because I have a hydraulic toplink. With the 3pt all the way up, the toplink will make the PHD lift the rears. Only works for the fist bit of the hole & really raises the pucker factor if you actually raise the rears really (sitting on the front axle pivot pin & a spinning PHD isn't even close to stable or smart).

Brand new JDs have an optional 3pt down pressure kit that will do 400lbs of down pressure or something, as well as a very few other really old tractors. Not sure there is much value in it beyond a PHD or possibly starting a cable plow or subsoiler. Generally you'd loose an equal amount of traction, which is more valuable. A PHD is the only impliment i can think ofwhere you aren't moving & would benefit from down pressure.

For everything else get the right heavy implement for the job.

/ Can hydraulic top link exert downpressure?
Thanks for each and every reply! Newton! I should have known!

I now sit educated, and I appreciate the gravity (the only thing I have) of the situation.

Mike

/ Can hydraulic top link exert downpressure? #6  
My Farmall M has a home built three point hitch and I can exert a equal amount of down or up pressure. and ive used a hyd cyl for a center link and it can be used for up & down pressure also. Now a old M is heavy. and mine has wheel weights and liquid in the rear tires. a 15.5 x38 likely holds a lot of weight filled about 80% full of water & alcohol.

/ Can hydraulic top link exert downpressure? #7  
I suppose you could chain the lower arms to the solid draw bar on the tractor. That would limit the upward "float" of the lower arms.

Then the hydraulic top link could swing the implement slightly downward as the implement rotates around the lower lift pins. It would be most noticeable when the top link would be extended from short to long. However, there would be little control of the angle (bite) of the grader blade.

Would I recommend doing such a thing? NOOOOOOO! But if you are adventuresome it could be tried.

/ Can hydraulic top link exert downpressure? #8  
You can put down pressure on the blade by adding weight to it. Doesn't need to be fancy, just heavy. You could make some concrete weights to hang on there fairly easily.

/ Can hydraulic top link exert downpressure? #9  
Well, I'll chime in here. Our Power Trac has all attachments out front on the FEL arms. So I'm able to put down pressure on everything from buckets and blades to the lawnmower (that doesn't help the lawn, much! :laughing:). Best example I can give is backdragging the snow blade to scrape packed snow. If I put down pressure on the snow blade, the front tires come off the ground a bit. I do lose traction on the fronts. However, most of the weight of the tractor is then in the rear wheels, which gains traction back there. I am able to scrape the packed snow off better with down pressure than without it. Not sure how that would do on a conventional tractor, even with 4wd, but that's how it works on mine, with all wheel drive and same size tires all the way around.

/ Can hydraulic top link exert downpressure? #10  
Thanks for each and every reply! Newton! I should have known!

I now sit educated, and I appreciate the gravity (the only thing I have) of the situation.

Mike

Oh, the gravity of the situation.
Well said, Mike!