Can I add anti-gel to my tractor

/ Can I add anti-gel to my tractor #1  

bigtiller

Tractor
JD 2720 & 3039R
I have never added anti-gel to my tractor because it sits in a heated garage and it takes less than an hour to clear my driveway.

But it is -15° F and the neighbor wants me to blow a 4' x40' drift in his driveway and I am concerned about the fuel gelling. Both driveways may take 2 hours.

If I pour some Power Service White Bottle in the fuel tank before I head outside, is there any chance it will get mixed up and do it's job before gelling?

/ Can I add anti-gel to my tractor #2  
I use PS White Bottle year round. If you have "winter fuel" in it now, I'd add it and give it a try. PS also has "911" for emergency use, but not sure if anywhere near you sells it, on Sunday. I cleared my drive yesterday morning when it was pretty windy, but not this cold. Maybe wait a bit? It's supposed to warm up later today, to -4.

/ Can I add anti-gel to my tractor #3  
Yes, there is a good chance it will mix in pretty well. Not all the fuel pumped goes to run the tractor, some of it returns to the tank. This causes both warming and mixing of the fuel in the tank. Let it idle a few minutes. In addition to being mixed because of return, driving the tractor will cause the fuel to slosh a bit in the tank.

But when did you buy your diesel? If you bought it after the beginning of Nov. then there is a good chance you have a winter mix to begin with and shouldn't have a problem.

Last edited:
   / Can I add anti-gel to my tractor #4  
I have never added anti-gel to my tractor because it sits in a heated garage and it takes less than an hour to clear my driveway.

But it is -15° F and the neighbor wants me to blow a 4' x40' drift in his driveway and I am concerned about the fuel gelling. Both driveways may take 2 hours.

If I pour some Power Service White Bottle in the fuel tank before I head outside, is there any chance it will get mixed up and do it's job before gelling?
I quit using the PS products as they have failed in more than one situation.

Today, I just pour in 1 bottle into the tank of,
Seafoam-tractor.jpg

/ Can I add anti-gel to my tractor #5  
My tractor is in a semi heated garage (about 40-45 deg.F). I too use PS year round. Adding some to your tank before taking it out for a couple hours I think the vibration of the tractor will mix it just fine. At -15 F I would use it.

/ Can I add anti-gel to my tractor #6  
I would also add an anti gel regardless of how long you intend on being outside. Not likely to be a problem for a short time, but the fuel in your primary sediment bowl filter is particularly vulnerable.

/ Can I add anti-gel to my tractor
Yes, there is a good chance it will mix in pretty well. Not all the fuel pumped goes to run the tractor, some of it returns to the tank. This causes both warming and mixing of the fuel in the tank. Let it idle a few minutes. In addition to being mixed because of return, driving the tractor will cause the fuel to slosh a bit in the tank.

But when did you buy your diesel? If you bought it after the beginning of Nov. then there is a good chance you have a winter mix to begin with and shouldn't have a problem.
That's another thing that concerns me, I bought it in September.

Would it help or hurt to add a double dose or would I be better off following the directions on the bottle?

/ Can I add anti-gel to my tractor #8  
I would also add an anti gel regardless of how long you intend on being outside. Not likely to be a problem for a short time, but the fuel in your primary sediment bowl filter is particularly vulnerable.
Depending on the fuel bowl, if you have the small stubby one, it's best to see if a taller one with filter would fit on the machine. I find this to be a great help. More filter surface area allows the machine to run longer, possible enough to get out of the field and to a garage to do a repair or new filter and bowl cleaning. Plus the taller gives you a better eye to see if the bowl is getting clogged and the sediment at the bottom of the bowl.

/ Can I add anti-gel to my tractor
I use PS White Bottle year round. If you have "winter fuel" in it now, I'd add it and give it a try. PS also has "911" for emergency use, but not sure if anywhere near you sells it, on Sunday. I cleared my drive yesterday morning when it was pretty windy, but not this cold. Maybe wait a bit? It's supposed to warm up later today, to -4.
Waiting until this afternoon is a good idea, -4° is better than -15°

/ Can I add anti-gel to my tractor #10  
That's another thing that concerns me, I bought it in September.

Would it help or hurt to add a double dose or would I be better off following the directions on the bottle?
Double dose would foul the engine as it's not really fuel.

Last edited: