Can I change my controls on my BH92 backhoe?

/ Can I change my controls on my BH92 backhoe? #1  

kbplaza

Tractor
Kubota MX4700
I want to change my backhoe controls on my BH92 to like the newer excavators. Can that be done on my BH92? If so how do I go about doing this? Thank you guys.

/ Can I change my controls on my BH92 backhoe? #2  
If you're talking about the control pattern of the valve handles, my guess is that it would simply be a matter of swapping the hoses around, assuming all the hoses are of the same size ...

Although you may want to get an exploded parts diagram, as some of the lines may have flow restrictors on them. Good to know what's there before you pull it apart and maybe lose some small pieces.

My BH4690B had flow restrictors on certain circuits ... I pulled them for better/faster responsiveness.

/ Can I change my controls on my BH92 backhoe? #3  
Define "change" a bit further please. Change as in 'change the function provided when a lever is moved a given direction?', or 'change the levers so they have the feel and precision control of the newer excavators?'?

If all you want to do is change the function of the levers, that can be done by rerouting the plumbing on the controls. You may need to have some hoses remade as they're generally made to fit with little to no slack and you may run into a case of a hose that is an inch too short to reach the port you want it in.

If you want to change the feel, that is going to require changes that will require replacing much more than hoses.

/ Can I change my controls on my BH92 backhoe? #4  
I want to change my backhoe controls on my BH92 to like the newer excavators. Can that be done on my BH92? If so how do I go about doing this? Thank you guys.

What are the newer excavators like?

/ Can I change my controls on my BH92 backhoe? #5  
According to my dealer they can setup to whatever way you like, around here there is 2 standard control patterns. so that would lead one to believe that all the hardware and fittings are all the same. I selected the factory setup for my new l45 as that's what were used to on our other Kubota backhoes.

/ Can I change my controls on my BH92 backhoe? #6  
for the 555c TLB i have, there is i want to say 3 or 4 different options you can have,
3 lever, 4 lever, and joysticks. with a mix and match foot peddles, to deal with out riggers or possibly a extend a hoe option, or optional hydraulic thumb control.

when asking some operators that used to be day job running the machines. i got a lot of hassle about levers and joysticks, and some of them just plain said i don't want this or that control setup, it is to difficult to use. my guess they ran given machines for so many years, they had it down via muscle memory control, with a certain setup.

double check each valve before swapping hoses around, each valve might have a different spec, from pressure relief setting, to a check valve, and may simply be complete different inside "one made cheaper than valve right next to it" due to this or that reason.

it may come down needing to pull the valve manifold block apart, and moving the individual valves around and reassembling.

/ Can I change my controls on my BH92 backhoe? #7  
You just have to swap the hoses on the control valves, very easy to do. Just remove the access cover and then swap the hoses top to bottom and bottom to top on the dipper control.
Kubota dealer swapped mine back to Kubota configuration when it went in for service and I couldn't get used to operating it that way, so I finally figured out what they did and put it back like excavator.
I like it when you can push both joysticks forward and the boom lowers, dipper stick extends, pull back boom raises, dipper stick moved toward the tractor. This in effect allows you to pull back on both levers and the bucket comes back toward you at the same elevation making it much easier to keep bottom of trench level. You do have to adjust bucket angle to keep it flat as you bring bucket toward you.
Darn Kubota folks had it where I had to push left lever and pull right lever to retract bucket and reverse to extend bucket.

It did take me a while to figure out exactly what they had done to it though and was very frustrating.

Google backhoe controls to get the SAE and ISO control patterns

/ Can I change my controls on my BH92 backhoe?

The SAE controls are they typical backhoe controls as above in the attached picture.

The iso controls above are what most newer excavators come like if they don't have a selector valve to change back and forth.

I have ran backhoe and excavators for years digging utilities but perfer the ISO set up as I had more seat time with it and it is second nature to me. I can dig and run a SAE machine and go back and forth between them through out the day but just don't seem to dig as fast on a SAE machine. So I should only have to move four lines.

/ Can I change my controls on my BH92 backhoe? #9  

The SAE controls are they typical backhoe controls as above in the attached picture.

The iso controls above are what most newer excavators come like if they don't have a selector valve to change back and forth.

I have ran backhoe and excavators for years digging utilities but perfer the ISO set up as I had more seat time with it and it is second nature to me. I can dig and run a SAE machine and go back and forth between them through out the day but just don't seem to dig as fast on a SAE machine. So I should only have to move four lines.
Are you sure about these patterns. Using iso the left control runs the stick doesn't it?

/ Can I change my controls on my BH92 backhoe? #10  
A guy on YouTube demonstrates this pretty good.