Can I drive the Gator on the road.

/ Can I drive the Gator on the road.
lol
That's funny.

A couple months back my Father got hassled by a young DNR officer. He was going between propertys to check a few things. They are farms and it is pretty rural. They sit about Two miles apart.

He didn't stop him or pull him over with lights on, just kinda caught him at a stop sign. "you can't drive that thing on the road". Well that was all the old man was gonna take. "Yes I can, Checking on my farm" as he pointed to the back where the SMV sign was. "what is that" the officer asked. Pop explained it to him nicely what it meant. Then proceeded to pull away leaving the slack jawed young officer standing there. That was That!!

/ Can I drive the Gator on the road. #22  
The answer is NO........ take a look at the tires and focus on the "Not for highway use" .

That said ...... I imagine most leos would not bother you if you were operating safely.

/ Can I drive the Gator on the road. #23  
Yes drive it on the road until told different!

Just wear your seat belt.... Yes I am serious. If you show an effort to be law conforming, the officer will look the other way if you are in violation of ther law that many of them and us don't know. Just be safe and don't have a cooler of beer in the back. I am sure that if you get pulled over and are over the limit you will be in trouble.

/ Can I drive the Gator on the road. #24  
The answer is NO........ take a look at the tires and focus on the "Not for highway use" .

That said ...... I imagine most leos would not bother you if you were operating safely.

Getting out my best hair-splitting knife. . . the abbreviation on the side of tires is NHS and means "Not for highway service." These tires are not meant to be used at highway speeds for long distances and varied weather conditions. They are designed to be safely used within the parameters of the vehicles they are installed on. Certainly, a Kawasaki Mule with no windshield, no turn signals, and no side impact protection is not designed to be driven on a highway as are tractors and combines. There are many parts of these vehicles that make them not for highway service in addition to their tires.:):thumbsup:

/ Can I drive the Gator on the road. #25  
I have a place in north Texas on lake Texoma. I also have been the owner of a Yamaha Rhino since 2004. I have driven this vehicle on and off road for the better part of 8,000 miles in the area. I use the Rhino for maintenance task but also as my primary daily driver while at the lake. I take it to the lake, neighbors house, corner store and restaurants. In my years of driving the Rhino I have found that the LEO's generally single out the idiots that are riding these vehicles in a unsafe manner. I tend to be traveling 10-15 mph and obey all traffic laws. 99% of the time I get a friendly wave from the LEO's. Now I have been stopped 2 or 3 times, and its mostly by new officers, and told I should not be riding that "thing" on the road. My response is usually "I'm on my way home" and continue on. The point is. If you are safe and not causing danger to others or excessive noise then more often than not they do nothing. Good luck, just be safe.

/ Can I drive the Gator on the road. #26  
Sounds like a Polaris Ranger, RZR, or Yamaha Rhino. The Mules and Kubota RTVs want to maintain their reputation for utility rather than suicidal vehicles.;)

Rhino Jim, that's it!!:thumbsup:

/ Can I drive the Gator on the road. #27  
I'm not going to lie to ya, I have a Rhino and have driven it on public roads a few times. Very rural roads not highways. I don't have a SMV sign for it so I always go at least 35 mph. :)

People don't seem to get excited about it. However, none of them were LEO.

/ Can I drive the Gator on the road. #28  
I drive my gator on the road a lot of the time but it is a secondary road, gravel. The few times I take it to town the LEOs just wave at me. But I pull to the side when any car is coming near me, I use the turn signals and seat belt and stay under 20 mph.

I have noticed that if you are going to break a traffic law, just break one at a time and some LEOs will turn their head. But go 30 in a 25 with no seat belt and he will stop you.

/ Can I drive the Gator on the road. #29  
One of our ATVs has a special Ag Use sticker next to the registration. This allows me to travel on the shoulder of secondary roads provided it is for Ag related reasons. Never been pulled over and I have no reasonable Ag related reason to be using it on the road. So I guess I can't say as to whether it works or not.

Anyway, that's my story and this is in Minnesota. You may want to check to see whether WI has a similar Ag Use sticker.

/ Can I drive the Gator on the road. #30  
A couple months back my Father got hassled by a young DNR officer. He was going between propertys to check a few things. They are farms and it is pretty rural. They sit about Two miles apart.

He didn't stop him or pull him over with lights on, just kinda caught him at a stop sign. "you can't drive that thing on the road". Well that was all the old man was gonna take. "Yes I can, Checking on my farm" as he pointed to the back where the SMV sign was. "what is that" the officer asked. Pop explained it to him nicely what it meant. Then proceeded to pull away leaving the slack jawed young officer standing there. That was That!!

Woe, that's a crazy man! I like to be much less argumentative & "certain" when dealing with police.

Maybe 20 years ago my uncle took my cousin fishing. Cousin was under the age of needing a fishing license. They had only one pole. Cousin couldn't get the hang of casting, so uncle took the pole & showed him how. Officer happened to see that, asked for uncle's license, which he didn't have, & proceeded to write him a citation. Uncle said, "But I was just showing him how to cast. Look, we only have the one pole, his." Officer didn't care, still said, "You were fishing." Argument ensued. Normally extremely calm, rational, soft spoken uncle ... got arrested.