Can I learn to lay and re-point bricks?

/ Can I learn to lay and re-point bricks? #21  
Can you lay brick ? Yes you can, but like any trade it takes practice, don't expect great results the first time around. Do a few courses, stand back and take a look, if you like what you see keep going, if not, start over.

I took bricklaying in trade school about 35 years ago, did it for a couple of years but never liked it.

Good luck.

Harvey

/ Can I learn to lay and re-point bricks? #22  
Yes you can do it. I couldn't find anyone to rebuild my basement side walls for a decent price so i did it myself (they were bowed in after back filling-before i owned the house). none of us had ever laid block before. the second wall came out better and was done faster, but the first one turned out pretty good. we didn't clean up the excess mortor since they were below grade.

Attachments

• house side wall rebuild 4.JPG
    house side wall rebuild 4.JPG
    826.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 107_0737.JPG
    107_0737.JPG
    358.4 KB · Views: 114
   / Can I learn to lay and re-point bricks? #23  
The great thing about this type of project. It's not a timed event. Take your time. Speed will come!!:D

/ Can I learn to lay and re-point bricks? #24  
If Winston Churchill could learn it, you can too. As others have pointed out, it will take time, and start on the least visible side. By the time you are done you will clearly understand why. One suggestion I would make. Don't depend upon doing the math for lay-out. Set you first two corner points, pull the sting-line to it and set the dry blocks to the line to make sure your spacing is correct. If your lay-out is square and your spacing is right then all you need to do is get better at handling the mud, line and level. I have found when laying block that one empty beer can stuffed in a core/4 blocks is about right. It can slow things down, but it's amazing how good it looks to ya!

/ Can I learn to lay and re-point bricks? #25  
Wouldn't you need a brick ledge in place before laying brick? I don't think I saw anybody mention that and since I don't do brick myself I have no idea. I just always believed it was necessary.

As for repointing, shouldn't you match the mortar not only for color, but for type? I always thought that different mixes combined together, like when repointing, was a bad idea because it could cause cracks or failures.

/ Can I learn to lay and re-point bricks? #26  
I worked in the flat work concrete field for several years. Biggest thing is have enough workers to get it placed and struck off properly. I had a couple planters in the back of my house and some left over brick from the two story front. I poured a footing and layed a 8" block for the first course. Then it went up with 4" block. These were quite difficult as there is little surface to support the weight. Stuck in some brick ties along the way. I found the brick alot easier to lay than the 4" block. Once the corners were built up the string guide worked great. The angle brick cap really took time but looked great when done.
Give it a try. Patience, take your time, and it will turn out great.