Can I Power an Enrossi Sickle Mower with a Sub Compact?

/ Can I Power an Enrossi Sickle Mower with a Sub Compact? #1  

0341GearHead

Tractor
Bolens H1502
Hello,

I found an Enrossi sickle mower for sale that I'm considering purchasing for my Bolens 1502H. The mower has a five-foot bar, but the unit itself looks fairly heavy. Also, the manufacturer recommends a minimum of 20 HP to operate the mower, but my tractor's engine is only rated at 15 HP. Does anyone think I can pull this off? Has anyone else pushed the limits of a manufacturer recommendation like this? The price seems fair: the unit is like new, and they're asking $3,250, but I'd hate to waste that kind of money on something that I discover I can't use.

Thanks!

James

/ Can I Power an Enrossi Sickle Mower with a Sub Compact? #2  
I do not think you would be happy with that combo. Just a little too much mower for your machine.

/ Can I Power an Enrossi Sickle Mower with a Sub Compact? #3  
It will operate the sickle mower, but the minute you hit the field, you will start to experience bogging down, jamming and overall very poor cut quality due to HP limitations.

Last edited:
   / Can I Power an Enrossi Sickle Mower with a Sub Compact?
Thanks for the help, guys. I do believe it'd be a better idea to borrow my neighbor's mower and run that with my 641 Ford. I was trying to avoid that because it's cumbersome on slopes because of the loader, but I suppose I can take the loader off. It doesn't appear to be as big of a job to disconnect the loader as I thought it would be.

/ Can I Power an Enrossi Sickle Mower with a Sub Compact? #5  
Five foot on a sickle bar isn’t that much. You could always take a smaller cut or slow down. The hp. required will depend a lot on what is being cut, the thickness and the ground speed.

/ Can I Power an Enrossi Sickle Mower with a Sub Compact? #6  
It might work OK
I have the same/similar sickle bar mower in a 7' I run on a 35 HP tractor.
It takes surprisingly little power to run it

/ Can I Power an Enrossi Sickle Mower with a Sub Compact? #7  
It was hard to find specs on your tractor, but it looks like you have the Mitsubishi 15hp engine and 10.2 hp at the PTO. I honestly think it will struggle with 5' sickle mower. On the other hand, my grandpa used to cut hay in his field with a 4' sickle cutter and just two horses.