Can I pull a 6' finish mower with my 855?

/ Can I pull a 6' finish mower with my 855? #1  

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
As the title reads, can I pull a 6' finish mower with my 855? Or would I be better off buying a 5'? The mowers I am considering both state 20 to 50 HP in their specs.

/ Can I pull a 6' finish mower with my 855? #2  
I don't see why not. I pulled one with my JohnDeere 650 I bought it with the tractor and now I use it with my 3320.

/ Can I pull a 6' finish mower with my 855? #3  
I would not see a problem.
The JD 855 is 30ish hp ?
I pulled one without any trouble with my first tractor a MF 1428 wich had 28hp.
Finish mowers are not hard to pull and needs much less hp than a bushog to turn.

/ Can I pull a 6' finish mower with my 855? #4  
Should work if the 855 is hitting on all cylinders and in reasonably good condition (i.e. not needing an overhaul).

Agree with others that offered similar advice and assume that FL grass isn't that difficult to mow..

/ Can I pull a 6' finish mower with my 855? #5  
I would go with a 6'. You have a hydrostatic transmission so you can go as slow as you need to too keep the engine happy. Most of the time that's not going to be an issue as I'm sure the tractor will pull the mower in regular lawn grass.

/ Can I pull a 6' finish mower with my 855? #6  
You can get a factory 72" MMM so I don't see why you can't use one on the 3pt?

Jay

MIB the 855 I had was 24 hp

/ Can I pull a 6' finish mower with my 855?
Yeah the 855 is 24 hp engine, 19 hp pto.

One of the reviews I read on the 5ft was someone with a similar tractor saying he should have bought the 6ft.

I guess I should go with the 6ft. Tried a pto generator on it and was disapointed. It worked but was all my little tractor wanted. Different animal though.

/ Can I pull a 6' finish mower with my 855? #8  
If you ask
Can I pull 72" under all conditions?

I will vote "NO".

We had a month last summer,, the 855 and the RM 59 Woods could not mow the grass.
Just a little extra rain,, the grass grows crazy,,,

MY SIL and the 855/RM59 had trouble;

Container2_zps3yoxaw9l.jpg

He was cutting only 4 feet,,, just so the machine would go.

Early in the year,, the 855 was flying with the same mower.
The same in August,, when it got hot.

My JD 650 and a 4 foot RFM didn't seem to mind the thick grass.

So,,, if you fertilize (we did not),, expect the 72" RFM to give the 855 fits.

/ Can I pull a 6' finish mower with my 855?
That is good to know CADplans. My 855 runs strong but it is a 2WD with turf tires. The area I may need to mow that concerns me may not get mowed as often and is mostly Pensacola Bahia. Decisions decisions. :mur: