Can low oil cause crack?

/ Can low oil cause crack? #1  

Desert Bred

Silver Member
Tractor
1998 CKC TS 254 (Fei Dong 295T1)
IMG_2371-1-1.JPG

I cracked the final gear assembly housing.

Could it have been caused by very low oil?

Also, how do you know how much to fill? like the sump.. almost all the way?

what is this part of the tractor called anyways?

front.jpg

/ Can low oil cause crack? #2  
Is that the PTO housing?. If a bearing piled up from lack of lubrication might cause catastrophic failure. Another possibility is a gear tooth broke and the piece got wedged causing the housing to break. What were you doing when it broke?

/ Can low oil cause crack?
thats the front end left wheel final drive reduction housing i think it's called. was doin fel work. had already a few damaged teeth on the gear in there, was waiting for a newgear to arrive and just used the 4x4 a few times when bang. was extremely low on 80w oil

/ Can low oil cause crack? #4  
The damaged teeth caused the total failure, not necessarily the low oil. Even one badly damaged tooth can cause a complete failure. When the other gear gets to the broken tooth, it jumps to the next tooth, and it strips them off like dominos falling. Generally speaking, one bad tooth means you simply can't use it. The low oil very well could have led to the previously damaged teeth. I've seen a mower gearbox that looked like that after being run with almost no oil in it….it died quickly.

Great thanks for the responses. To be exact i was pushing into the pile, heard it and pulled clutch went in and pulled it out of 4x4. new gear in and welded it back together.

/ Can low oil cause crack? #6  
that's a stress area. i don't look for the weld to hold.. and I hope it isn't changing the alignment of a gear or bearing.

good luck in any case.

SG- you were right it held until the gannon's teeth went all the way down. I'm a bit challenged because the metal was oily when i welded, i'm new to welding, and well... i'm ordering a new part.

It should hold though if done right though right?

SG- you were right it held until the gannon's teeth went all the way down. I'm a bit challenged because the metal was oily when i welded, i'm new to welding, and well... i'm ordering a new part.

It should hold though if done right though right?

A) Its' Iron ?

B) does the metal just atrophy over time due to the oil? not sure but i'm sure you do.

/ Can low oil cause crack? #9  
B) does the metal just atrophy over time due to the oil? not sure but i'm sure you do.

What does the above comment mean?

The housing that broke is cast iron. Unless it was impossible to get a new part, get a new part! Cast iron can be repaired but you need the right procedure and a lot of experience if you expect it to hold.

Sorry, that was directed at SoundGuy...

Thanks I wasn't sure if it was cast iron or not, after the weld failed I thought it probably was.. But why would it be made of cast iron if steel is stronger? especially in such a high stress area