Can My R4020 handle this weight?

/ Can My R4020 handle this weight? #1  

timebak

Bronze Member
Our farm near Muscle Shoals, Alabama...FINALLY!!!
Tractor
RK37SC & John Deere 2030
I have an LS R4020, w/shuttle shift, that weighs 3800 lbs and my rear tires are ballasted which adds another 600 to 700 lbs, bringing the total to around 4400 to 4500 lbs. My 3PH lift capacity is 2755 lbs. I will be brush hogging without the FEL to aid in maneuverability among the trees.

I'm looking at a very heavy duty 5 ft brush hog for cutting the underbrush in the woods around my home. Several of the heavy duty 'hogs weigh around 1000 lbs. Can my tractor easily and safely handle a brush hog weighing around 1000 lbs?

I've also posted this in the Attachments section.

/ Can My R4020 handle this weight? #2  
Only need one post. :)

/ Can My R4020 handle this weight? #3  
ballasted rear tires wont help here, but try it and if the front end gets light, you could add suitcase weights or possibly leave FEL on and just drop the bucket. I will admit I have very little experience with tractors without FEL. Could be the tractor will weigh enough, just take it easy letting off the clutch till you know for sure.

/ Can My R4020 handle this weight? #4  
Last year I bought a Dk40 ( 3940 lb) and use a heavy duty 72" Woods rotary cutter . I was also worried about the weight of that mower , as I had been using the mower with a ford 3600 and the front was light with that mower hanging off the back . Just as a precaution on my new tactor I had the front tires loaded to add more weight to the front . Anyway my new tractor handles the mower fine . With that heavier 4wd font axle , I am not even shure I needed to load the front tires . I think you said you were only going to use a 60" mower . I dont like mowing with the fel installed myself .Just a note , to add front weights I would of had to remove the front bumper , which I wanted to keep . Just another option for you , but I think it will be fine .

Kioti DK40SE SS

/ Can My R4020 handle this weight? #5  
On the back of my 4010 I use a 6 foot brush hog. No ballast or weighted tires.
DSCF2526.jpg

/ Can My R4020 handle this weight? #6  
I also think you will be fine. The only thing I would caution you
about is mowing on steep ground. That is a lot of weight pulling
down on the back of the tractor even with the extra weight of
front axles and gears. Compacts have a shorter wheel base which
makes them lose some stability, going up hill carrying a load.

/ Can My R4020 handle this weight? #7  
How is that HOWSE brand of mowers? I think that's coming with the tractor from RCO.

HS

/ Can My R4020 handle this weight? #8  
I was a somewhat surprised at the strength.
I have broken quite a few 1/2" bolts I use for shear pins. The thing is a rock.
One of my neighbors (not the Mahindra owner) says the same thing. Very strong.

/ Can My R4020 handle this weight? #9  
Kind of late getting a post in here (been on vacation and working the farm) but in regards to the Howse bush hog, I have a medium duty one that has been fantastic in the power train category. I use it with my Yanmar 4220 and can stall the tractor without shearing a pin. The sheet metal is a bit light and I tend to bend it up a bit on the edges. Howse does make a heavy duty model with 1/4" sides and 3/16" top deck but look to pay a premium for it. I went looking for a 7' heavy duty model for my LS 7010 and got sticker shock at the prices that were closing in on $3K. I ended up getting a home built model based on the Bush Hog 307 model except with dual tail wheels and all plate is 1/4" thick. It has genuine Bush hog gears, drive shaft, stump jumper and blades but I paid about 1/2 price of a new BH model. It was kind of fun spec'ing out what I wanted it to look like also.

Attachments

• finished 7ft 001.JPG
    finished 7ft 001.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 262