Can you feed lawn clippings to cattle?

/ Can you feed lawn clippings to cattle? #11  
Why bother to collect the clippings? - it is far better for your lawn to mulch them in. Cornell Lawn Care

Also - the local govt. is picking up clippings? They can't afford to keep the streetlights on around here...:eek: Never mind the school system Randolph cuts bus service

I suppose if you are going to feed it to the cattle instead of the town dump, it makes some sense to collect the clippings.

/ Can you feed lawn clippings to cattle? #12  
Sounds to me like you have some sort of fescue, possibly KY31 (very wide coarse blade) or another tall fescue type (usually thinner blades then KY31). Fescue tends to survive drought better than the other northern varities like ky bluegrass and ryegrass. Fescue also grows a lot slower. Most of the seed you buy at the box stores will have a lot of ryegrass (annual and perrienial) and then some fescue and bluegrass. Fesuce is usually lighter green vs. the others as well. I used some tall fecue seed from the local feed mill and it has done much better than the mix I put down in the drought (DW Ohio). Downside to fescue is it is slower to germanate and become establish vs. say rye which germainates quicky and grows fast, but does not take heat well.

Not sure how it effects cattle, but always heard that you don't want to feed horses fescue.

/ Can you feed lawn clippings to cattle? #13  
Not alot anyway...

Soundguy

/ Can you feed lawn clippings to cattle? #14  
I have tall fescue and KY bluegrass. Back when I had a bagger, before I bought the mulch kit, I used to dump the clippings across the fence to the cows on my neighbor's ranch. He didn't mind as long as I hadn't sprayed anything within the previous few months.