Can you get scamed using paypal?

/ Can you get scamed using paypal? #1  

kthompson

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubotas B2710, M6800, L6060 cab, Volvo EC excavator, 2 ZTRs and various implements.
Have some JD planters for sale on Craigslist and had person first text me and but asked could we communicate via email which was fine. He ask a few simple questions on the planters and is wanting to buy them using paypal. I have no experience with paypal but the sale seems odd. He wants to buy them as surprise for his son who does some farming. His son is 350 miles from me. He seems to have no concern about shipping as his mover will pick up the planters and get bill of sale and inspect the planters. I have been told I would be safe with paypal but I have no idea if fact or fiction.

Unless he really knows planters he sure failed to ask questions I would have or maybe he knows nothing meaning he does not know what to ask. My concern is can you get scammed using paypal?

/ Can you get scamed using paypal? #2  
I know as a buyer you are safe but your opening line looks familiar, we sell horses from time to time and one came in 'I saw your ad and I am willing to pay what you ask, I am at sea at the moment but can arrange a truck to pick up when transaction is complete etc etc etc'.
As a seller I am not sure where you stand but that message is ringing alarm bells for me, I could be wrong but.......

/ Can you get scamed using paypal? #3  
Do a google search of "craigslist scams + shippers". I'd probably pass on this unless you haven't had any local interest, then possibly proceed with extreme caution.

/ Can you get scamed using paypal? #4  
yes you can. steer clear. Paypal will allow a return up to 180 days now and take the money from your acct. You know the saying. If it sounds.... Run

/ Can you get scamed using paypal? #6  
I have sold a lot of things on CL and what you are describing is definitely a fishing scam. I can usually smell them out and usually just ignore them. Only take cash when someone comes to pick them up, NO SHIPPING. There are a lot of scammers out there and I have been hit twice and been able to squelch them so I lost nothing but time and anxiety. I am much more careful now.

/ Can you get scamed using paypal? #7  
Yea, I smell a faint odor of fish. Go with your gut. If I'm buying a used piece of equipment, I sure wouldn't rely on the transport company to be the judge as to whether it was worth my money to purchase it.

/ Can you get scamed using paypal? #8  
yes you can. steer clear. Paypal will allow a return up to 180 days now and take the money from your acct. You know the saying. If it sounds.... Run

This is the problem with PayPal. They pull the funds out of your account as soon as the buyer complains. And trying to talk to an English first language person, or anyone else for that matter, at PayPal is a joke. Try giving PayPal a call a decide for yourself if they are a good outfit to do business with.

Not to be political but PayPal has placed limits on what they will do transactions for. That has turned some off.

As the buyer to have the delivery driver bring cash. The seller is already trusting the driver to inspect the product- they should be able to trust them with the funds too.

/ Can you get scamed using paypal? #9  
My understanding is that paypal is safe for buyers, but not quite safe for sellers.
Personally, I avoid it if at all possible, and would not sell anything large using it.

/ Can you get scamed using paypal? #10  
Absolutely for no reason should you take anything other than cash for craigslist transactions. I also always want to see the buyer. If possible meet at a public place so they do not know your address. If they come to my house (item too big, etc), I have a plan for a potential robbery. There are lots of great folks out there, and I find nothing but good selling experiences with Craigslist. However there are nightmare stories. Better to be prepared!

I only use PayPal for eBay. I do NOT link my bank account. In fact I have an expired credit card linked to my account.

To me, PayPal= Play money. I keep enough in the account with sales so that I can buy what I want with it.