Tire Selection Can you have turf tires on back and R4's on the front

/ Can you have turf tires on back and R4's on the front #1  

gmberry2

Tractor
John Deere 790
I have a JD 790 compact tractor with turf tires. My front tires tend to give way when using the loader, and when going up the hill on my property when it has rained. I was thinking about putting R4s on the front but didn't know if you could mix the front from the back. Below is the chart for tire sizes and the turf is the same as the industrial, so my thinking is you could without hurting the tractor. Now I will eventually change them all, but over $800 for rear tires and rims are holding me back for now. So I thought I would ask the experts. Thanks

Lawn/turf front: 25x8.50-14
Lawn/turf rear: 13.6-16
Industrial front: 25x8.50-14
Industrial rear: 15.0-19.6

/ Can you have turf tires on back and R4's on the front #2  
Mixing the tire types should be OK IF your tractor is 2-WD only.

If your tractor is 4-WD the diameter ratios between front and rear tires are critical.

Have you shopped for replacement tires on eBay?

I recently purchased replacement tires, same brand as original equipment on my tractor, for 1/3 less than the dealer.

Other tractor tire brands cheaper yet.

/ Can you have turf tires on back and R4's on the front #3  
I have a JD 790 compact tractor with turf tires. My front tires tend to give way when using the loader, and when going up the hill on my property when it has rained.

R4s have stronger sidewalls and may help you with the loader weight, but I don't see how they would help with traction if you don't have drive to the fronts. It's possible they could help some with side slippage in turning like tri-ribs.

/ Can you have turf tires on back and R4's on the front
Jeff my tractor is 4-WD, and it looks like the front tire sizes are the same so wouldn't they work?
I did find rears for $845 on ebay. Because the R4's are a different size I'm assuming I'll need new rims. The fronts in R4 are 110-125 dependant on the manufacture. And again I'm assuming, but since they are the same size I can use the same rims, so only need to buy the tires, am I incorrect?

/ Can you have turf tires on back and R4's on the front #5  
I changed tires around on my tractor. Not to the extent that you want to but still a change. I removed a set of 27x8.5x15 turf tires and installed a set of 26x12x12 turf's. I kept the ratio's close to the same buy purchasing a set of "tall" 26" tires. Not all tires have the same rolling circumference. The only difference I've noted is that the 12" tires squat more with a full bucket so when I'm doing steady loader work I either use 4x4 minimally or inflate the tires more. I also bought 6 ply tires as they last considerably longer than 2 ply tires.

I would go to a tire shop and set the two kind's of tires side by side. I'm thinking you will have to go to a larger R-4 tire to keep the same tire height as your turf tires. As was previously mentioned you want to keep the ratio between the rear and front tires close to factory specifications.

I'm also thinking that you will be disappointed switching to R-4 tires. On any surface a turf tire has a lot more gripping edges that an R-4. When you are in mud or rocks where a lug can dig in an R-4 has an advantage. On sod they don't.

Good idea comparing the two tires side by side. I will either purchase new turf tires for the front or get replace them all at the same time. Thank you all for your input.

/ Can you have turf tires on back and R4's on the front #7  
My 2400 came with R4s. My rears were 12x16.5 6 ply, which happens to be an industrial rim making for industrial strength tires. With 3200# load capacity per tire and a tractor weighing 1800# the ride was "shocking" to say the least. I found 4 ply 33x12.5x16.5 Titans as a circumference match for the R4s and knew the balloon area was larger meaning more room to absorb shock but didn't know that in that size, even at 4 ply, the sidewall was stiff enough to support the rear of the tractor with NO air pressure. I tried fluid in the tires and 10 psig but I kept running off the rim. So I took the fluid out, back to the 10 psig and added about 500# of dead weight. In addition I changed my seat to a spring suspension and I can tolerate it now. Good luck

Attachments

• P1010197.JPG
    P1010197.JPG
    638.9 KB · Views: 238
  • P1010196.JPG
    P1010196.JPG
    641 KB · Views: 264
  • P1010198.JPG
    P1010198.JPG
    668.9 KB · Views: 239
   / Can you have turf tires on back and R4's on the front #8  
If you mean they are giving way as in bagging when using the loader how much air pressure are you using? I have larger tractor with four wheel drive and ag tires and when moving bucket full of dirt have to push my pressure a good bit. Not sure if past recommended pressure or not.

Don't have turf tires on any tractor but in mud they are worthless on my ztr mowers...

They tend to give way when it is on a dirt surface, or wet surface. And the past 30 days have been really wet in TN. They are probably about 60% so could use replacing. I'm trying to do some things with it besides just mowing that the R4 tires would work better. I bought the tractor used with turf tires on it. I will be using the tractor for bush hogging, grading, and not for yard mowing, so I will eventually get R4's all the way around.