Can you overcharge a battery with trickle charger

/ Can you overcharge a battery with trickle charger #21  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( First when you overcharge a battery that gas that is being emitted is HYDROGEN. Read that HYDROGEN BOMB--VERY DANGEROUS
)</font>

Explosive trapped gas.. yes...... a fusion device? NO /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Soundguy

/ Can you overcharge a battery with trickle charger #22  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( First when you overcharge a battery that gas that is being emitted is HYDROGEN. Read that HYDROGEN BOMB--VERY DANGEROUS
)</font>

Explosive trapped gas.. yes...... a fusion device? NO /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Soundguy )</font>

I don't believe he was referring to a radioactive thermonuclear fusion device that so many terrorist are trying to get their dirty hands on, instead he meant like a Led Zepplin hydrogen flameout..... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Can you overcharge a battery with trickle charger #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I don't believe he was referring to a radioactive thermonuclear fusion device that so many terrorist are trying to get their dirty hands on, instead he meant like a Led Zepplin hydrogen flameout... )</font>

I know he was thinking a-la hindenburg... but I had to zing him on the h-bomb.. couldn't pass it up. I added the smailey though /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Soundguy

/ Can you overcharge a battery with trickle charger #24  
Those of us that have seen lead acid batteries explode are a bit more careful when working around any automotive type battery.

They can be very dangerous and start a fire as well as explode if handled improperly..

/ Can you overcharge a battery with trickle charger #25  
I've seen them pop. Nothing like a powder explosion.. but still nasty in their own right. Worst part is that they spew acid all over.

Soundguy

/ Can you overcharge a battery with trickle charger #26  
I started reading up on lead acid batteries & chargers several months ago... had no idea how many different charger types were out there!
Being the geek that I am I opted for a regulated DC power supply with voltage & current limiting so that I cound charge any type battery with whatever algorythm it called for. Of course this is not a solution for the unattended charging needs under discussion.
Anyway, to the point : After reading about various chargers the one that I liked best was the "Battery Minder" 1.0a by VDC Electronics. It desulphates & charges / maintains the battery. Desulphators make batteries last longer, and I have been able to recover several batteries to over 100% rated capacity.

/ Can you overcharge a battery with trickle charger #27  
Exactly, but I'm not a big fan of either. A slight oversimplification is that trickle chargers that turn themselves off are maintainers. I don't own anything other than a boat that has any use for this type of battery maintenance. Having watched all my boating friends use trickle chargers and cook batteries in the early days, I don't care to try the maintainers. I'm sure they work. So does leaving fully charge batteries in the boat in fall, and recharging them in spring. I get a year or more out of mine than most anyone else, even today. Maintainers included. I used to pull them each fall, but in Maryland a fully charged (good condition) October battery will make March without freezing. Watched my brother do this for 5 years before I bought in. Disconnect one terminal. It works. Recharge and go.

Keep in mind these are deep cycle or dual purpose batteries. Deep cycle are all around superior even to the dual purpose. If it's heavy it has good guts. The deep cycles start all smaller gas engines fine. Starters aren't needed unless you get over say 300 HP or do cold weather starts. The dual purpose are 4 year boat batteries and the deep cycle are 5 to 6 year and seldom 7 year batteries (since 1982 same boat). Starter batteries are 3 year batteries on my boat. Doesn't matter on any of these if you pull them or not. Same lifespans.

Motorcycle and car batteries (pure starters) are much more temperamental. One real hard discharge and a year or two old starting battery could easily be history. So a maintainer makes sense with them unless the are in a heated environment for the winter. Still need to pull one terminal though if your heated. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif