Can you run biodiesel in an older tractor?

/ Can you run biodiesel in an older tractor? #1  

jcw74801

I have a Mitsubishi MT300D tractor built in the 80's. My 1998 Dodge pickup loves the biodiesel but I'm wondering about rubber seals and hoses in the older tractor that might be an issue. Anyone running biodiesel in an older tractor? Did you change any hoses or seals?

/ Can you run biodiesel in an older tractor? #2  
Where do you get your biodiesel? How does it perform in the cold temperature or you switch to regular in the winter?

/ Can you run biodiesel in an older tractor? #3  
I'm currious about the same thing. A new gas station opened up right down the road and only sells bio diesel and not regular diesel. Not looked at my owners manual yet. Mine is a last year model.

/ Can you run biodiesel in an older tractor? #4  
From what I understand itll eat the rubber parts w/o mercy. If you can get synthetic replacements I think it might work. No telling what crud itll dislodge in the tank and fuel system though. I think theres also some problems w/ properly stabilizing biod for long term storage (either in a farm tank or the tractors fuel tank). It seems as though youd be well served to plan carefully.

ETA: Its really not a matter of whether the engine will burn biod (it will) but rather the ancillary issues that case the problems.

/ Can you run biodiesel in an older tractor?
My primary concern is internal seals, particularly the injection pump. The biofuel is indeed a very strong solvent. It will dissolve rubber parts in short order. My truck has no issues with it. I run 100% (B100) as often as possible. It runs quieter, smokes less, and the exhaust smells good. Depending on feedstock the biofuels can have a much higher gel point than petro diesel. Some of our fuel will start to thicken at 45 deg. f. You can blend it with petro diesel during the winter. I am making my own from waste cooking oil. It is a simple process but requires a lot of time and oil is getting difficult to acquire.

If you want to try biodiesel in a older vehicle you need to check for compatiblility with rubber parts. Also, if you want to try it in a late model vehicle under warranty you need to check with the mfr. due to all the emissions and computer stuff. But in general all diesels, being oil burners, love biodiesel which is just oil from another source.

My little Mitsu. tractor does have some external rubber fuel hoses. I think I will test those to see if they react to the fuel. I seem to remember a discussion about a tractor injection pump having internal copper compression seals rather than rubber. That would make sense but I need to verify that. The last thing I need to be doing is trying to rebuild an old injection pump. That little old tractor has turned out to be an invaluable workhorse around my small property.

/ Can you run biodiesel in an older tractor? #6  
I wasn't talking so much about the gel point when I mentioned stabilization. I don't understand the entire scenario but biod, even when its warm enough not to gel, has some longevity issues. This can be overcome if its properly stabilized.

/ Can you run biodiesel in an older tractor? #7  
The Mercedes mechanics tell us that the older Benz engines sometimes leak right at the injectors where there are some o-ring seals. The older o-rings apparently change in size with exposure to bio diesel.

If you read up on conversion experiences on the internet, you'll find the biggest problems are the need to change out the fuel filter after about the first tankful of bio because it cleans out the crud in the tank and the higher freeze point with bio.