Canadian Tractor Prices - Good Deal eh!

/ Canadian Tractor Prices - Good Deal eh! #21  
And don't forget any implement you include at the time of purchase is tax exempt as well. I added a blower and a 9' power angle snow blade all tax free

/ Canadian Tractor Prices - Good Deal eh! #22  
Yes, so when you take this into account, it is cheaper to buy an M7060 than a Grand L 50 or 60 h.p.

I always did want a bigger snow blower! LOL.

/ Canadian Tractor Prices - Good Deal eh! #23  
I recently bought a used 2015 49 hp tractor with only 185 hrs on it and I'm having some issues with it. I love the tractor but if I can't get it working right I'm thinking of getting something new with a total coverage warranty. So the looking starts but I can't believe the prices.

Today I was quoted on a new (0 hrs) 2017 Massey 1758 for the smoking hot deal of only $74,100 CAD plus taxes ($82,992) if I go with the (0% financing ...... what a scam) but if I pay cash I would only pay $59,100 plus tax ($66,192). So I'm thinking this is a LOT of money for a non current tractor and ask how much a 2019 would be and I'm told it would take 4 months to get one and the price would be .......... about $8,000 more. So for 0% financing the cost would be $91,952 including taxes, for a 58 hp tractor:eek: So I figured I better get 2 before the price goes up ........ ya right.

Those prices seem very high to me. Normally you should spend about $1,000 per HP so a 60hp tractor should cost around $60K. Was this a deLuxe model with all the bells & whistles?

/ Canadian Tractor Prices - Good Deal eh!
Those prices seem very high to me. Normally you should spend about $1,000 per HP so a 60hp tractor should cost around $60K. Was this a deLuxe model with all the bells & whistles?

I totally agree that those prices are very high. The tractors being quoted are 1) a 2017 (new) Massey 1758 premium tractor with cab and loader for $59,100 cash or $74,100 with 0% financing and 2) a 2019 Massey 1758 with cab and loader for $67,000 cash or $82,100 with 0% financing. Note all of these prices do not include the 12% sales tax.

Thanks for the info about the taxes. A very good point. The only thing is I just got my first HST tractor and love it (other than the issues I'm having). The M7060 doesn't come with HST as an option, from what I can see.

/ Canadian Tractor Prices - Good Deal eh! #25  
Thanks for the info about the taxes. A very good point. The only thing is I just got my first HST tractor and love it (other than the issues I'm having). The M7060 doesn't come with HST as an option, from what I can see.

Correct on the M7060, no hydro. If you are set on an HST you are going to be paying sales tax.

/ Canadian Tractor Prices - Good Deal eh! #26  
I think you should probably check the actual law in your province before basing a purchase on something someone on the internet said.

I have bought hundreds of things from fence posts to heavy equipment and the only question regarding tax, is farming or personal? If it is for the farm they don't charge tax if it is personal they charge tax. No one has ever cared what the PTO horsepower is.

g

/ Canadian Tractor Prices - Good Deal eh! #27  
I think you should probably check the actual law in your province before basing a purchase on something someone on the internet said.

I have bought hundreds of things from fence posts to heavy equipment and the only question regarding tax, is farming or personal? If it is for the farm they don't charge tax if it is personal they charge tax. No one has ever cared what the PTO horsepower is.

g

Funny thing about that internet, For GST portion It's federal law:

Zero-Rated Farm Equipment - Canada.ca

Agriculture and Fishing - Canada.ca

I am sure everything is "business" use if it means paying no tax. I have bought hundreds of things too and at least in this end of the country you aren't escaping GST at time of purchase on something non exempt, business or not.

Whether a dealer charges GST correctly or not doesn't matter to them, just the government.

/ Canadian Tractor Prices - Good Deal eh!
I just talked to a BC dealer and the rules here are different.

For a "non farm" status purchase, both taxes (12%) are paid for tractors with less than 60 PTH hp. For tractors over 60 PTO HP there is no GST payable. That's a 5% savings. Farm status buyers are exempt from both taxes for over 60 hp. I didn't ask about taxes for farm status purchases smaller than 60 hp.

Last edited:
   / Canadian Tractor Prices - Good Deal eh! #29  
I just talked to a BC dealer and the rules here are different.
For a non "non farm" status purchase, both taxes (12%) are paid for tractors with less than 60 PTH hp. For tractors over 60 PTO HP there is no GST payable. That's a 5% savings. Farm status buyers are exempt from both taxes for over 60 hp. I didnt ask about taxes for farm status purchases smaller than 60 hp.

Same in Ontario

/ Canadian Tractor Prices - Good Deal eh! #30  
Must be different here in NS. I had quotes from two different dealers and both had no GST which is 15% here. My purchase price was just over $54K so I saved something close to $ 8K. I made my purchase in 2011 so I'm unaware if the rules changed but I still see them advertised with no HST on units with 60 HP on the PTO