Buying Advice Canadian vs USA prices

/ Canadian vs USA prices #11  
NAFTA has done a great job to create a free flow of goods across the US / Canada / Mexico border at the wholesale or manufacturer level. It's highly debatable whether significant benefits have been created at the consumer level. At one point, I had written to General Motors complaining about and asking for an explanation of the CDN / US price differential. The reply I got after decoding for the spin doctoring and BS was they charge more in Canada because they can.

Case in point, Silverado trucks made in Oshawa Ontario and then shipped to US market were model for model $6K - $10K more in Canada after adjustment for exchange rates.

That is precicely why I don't care if it's foreign made anymore, if it's cheaper, has a real warantee and the price is cheaper I will buy the item whether it be a car, tractor or any other major item. After watching JD leave Welland Ont. for Mexico jobs I promised myself that that and any american brand is no longer any better or worse than any foreign one.
I will buy where my wallet tells me to from now on and buy Canadian or American be damned. For way too long the north american workers have been sacrificed for GREED plain and simple. Now it's my turn.
Sorry for the rant but it irks me to no end to hear all our poiticions tell us all that they have been doing on our behalf when what they really have been doing is padding their pockets along with big business for the last 40yrs and we and all our kids have a very bleak future job wise to show for it. Something to think about gents.
Regards
DGS

/ Canadian vs USA prices #12  
I've bought equipment in canada. Only when the exchange rate was in the %30 range. Yes, it was a while ago. For instance, bought a 9ft meteor snowblower for $2800, in the usa it would have been closer to $4,000.00. But that figures in getting the GST or HST back when i turned my paperwork in. This GST, I think was %18 +/-. (Goods and Service Tax.) Just recently i priced a 7ft lucknow blower, not much difference. No big exchange rate, and not really sure if I could get the GST back in a timely manner.

Back when the exchange rate was 30%, a lot of people I know purchased ATV's, snowmobiles, etc in new brunswick. A lot less money, but the only catch was if you wanted any warranty work done, you had to take it back across. But if you tried to purchase a car or pickup, the dealers would not do it. Franchise problems. Just like now, it's very hard for a canadian to buy a car over here. Plus the canadian border really looks out for their own citizens shopping over here.

Bottom line, everything in canada is more expensive, mainly because of taxes of some sort. Gallon of gas is about $1.04 a liter,about 4 liters to a gallon. Gallon of milk, about $7. I've seen pickups that cost $30,000 over here, identical set ups, cost $40,000 over there. 99cent burger here at McDonalds is $1.39 over there. Same burger.

I travel thru New Brunswick 4 or 5 times a week, nice people, but the tax man is beaten 'em down. Which we're headed in that same direction.

/ Canadian vs USA prices #13  
What could be more apple pie than a Chevrolet. DW just had to have a new Malibu - found out after wards it was made in Mexico.

On the other hand we could have purchased a foreign Toyota or Honda and at the time actually helped to support friends, neighbors and the local economy. Guess what - the Toyota plant is just down the road. Honda plant isn't far away either. Meanwhile, if present trends continue, along with Welland they will soon be rolling up the sidewalks and closing the towns of Oshawa, Chatam & Windsor.

Once all the manufacturing has moved China and all the Call Centers and computer support has been outsourced to India, I certainly hope the US doesn't wake up one morning and decide to start a war. OOOPPPPPS - who's going to make the tanks, guns, ammo.

AS best I can determine my 3320 came from overseas, the FEL from Welland and the BH / MMM from US. At least it had some local content.

/ Canadian vs USA prices
Yes, the taxes are definitely higher in Canada but those New Holland prices I originally quoted were before taxes. The total cost difference would have been even worse.

I'm originally from Australia and find many more 'made in Canada' or 'made in the USA' products here than I used to find 'made in Australia' back home. In Australia all the raw materials are shipped to asia to be shipped back as cars, electronics, etc.

/ Canadian vs USA prices #15  
i think you'll find they've already got the price increase due to taxes/import fees/etc that you don't see listed as sales tax. Tax before the sales tax. If that makes sense:confused2: It's a very regulated country.

/ Canadian vs USA prices #16  
NAFTA has done a great job to create a free flow of goods across the US / Canada / Mexico border at the wholesale or manufacturer level. It's highly debatable whether significant benefits have been created at the consumer level. At one point, I had written to General Motors complaining about and asking for an explanation of the CDN / US price differential. The reply I got after decoding for the spin doctoring and BS was they charge more in Canada because they can.

Case in point, Silverado trucks made in Oshawa Ontario and then shipped to US market were model for model $6K - $10K more in Canada after adjustment for exchange rates.

Based on what you and other Canadians are telling the forum, and my conversations with Canadians via email, NAFTA hasn't done squat for the individual or small business.

As for NAFTA and Mexico...I better not get started, or this thread will get locked.

/ Canadian vs USA prices #17  
i think you'll find they've already got the price increase due to taxes/import fees/etc that you don't see listed as sales tax. Tax before the sales tax. If that makes sense:confused2: It's a very regulated country.

Boy that's the pot calling the kettle black! LOL And you fellas in the USA aren't?

/ Canadian vs USA prices #18  
What could be more apple pie than a Chevrolet. DW just had to have a new Malibu - found out after wards it was made in Mexico.

On the other hand we could have purchased a foreign Toyota or Honda and at the time actually helped to support friends, neighbors and the local economy. Guess what - the Toyota plant is just down the road. Honda plant isn't far away either. Meanwhile, if present trends continue, along with Welland they will soon be rolling up the sidewalks and closing the towns of Oshawa, Chatam & Windsor.

Once all the manufacturing has moved China and all the Call Centers and computer support has been outsourced to India, I certainly hope the US doesn't wake up one morning and decide to start a war. OOOPPPPPS - who's going to make the tanks, guns, ammo.

AS best I can determine my 3320 came from overseas, the FEL from Welland and the BH / MMM from US. At least it had some local content.

probably one of the last heavy industries still made in USA..lol

/ Canadian vs USA prices
Good news, I went to a couple of dealers today and found out that if the tractor is over 60hp at the PTO then it is GST & PST (sales tax) exempt in Canada.

I was looking at a Kubota MX5100 but now have a reason/excuse to go for the M7040. My wife liked it too, especially the Hydralic Shuttle.

/ Canadian vs USA prices #20  
Good choice to purchase new in Canada if that is where you reside. Can't say for the other mfg but John Deere has barred US dealers from selling new equipment into Canada for the time being, not saying one will not, but at settlement time they will probably get caught and the potential headache after the fact could be substantial. I believe that if the $ accros the borders gets closer to each other they would then allow dealers to sell into Canada. But then again that may not have anything to do with why they are not to do that for now. Of course anybody can sell used equipment wherever they darn well please. Good Luck