Canes, anyone use one?

/ Canes, anyone use one? #41  
When was the last time you heard of a gun cane accident? Doesn't happen
Well you got me on that one, Actually in my life I've never heard of anyone who carry one, Most elderly Men I know and some women who carry canes also carry a Pistol and a Knife, and won't hesitate to use either one in an instant,
I suppose a "Cane gun" could be made to be safe, I just have a hard time envisioning an 80+year old elderly person fumbling around with a cane when trying to fire it off at someone, seems to me his first instinct would be to hit the perpetrator over the head with it, perhaps forgotten all about it being a gun:laughing: all the talk of a gun cane has me thinking of all the novelty walking canes I used to see around,

/ Canes, anyone use one? #42  
Well you got me on that one, Actually in my life I've never heard of anyone who carry one, Most elderly Men I know and some women who carry canes also carry a Pistol and a Knife, and won't hesitate to use either one in an instant,
I suppose a "Cane gun" could be made to be safe, I just have a hard time envisioning an 80+year old elderly person fumbling around with a cane when trying to fire it off at someone, seems to me his first instinct would be to hit the perpetrator over the head with it, perhaps forgotten all about it being a gun:laughing: all the talk of a gun cane has me thinking of all the novelty walking canes I used to see around,

Neither have I..and if (when) I carry a gun, it's not going to be a one shot cane.

/ Canes, anyone use one? #43  
Funny, I read something similar and had already done a search when I read your post. A cane is a weapon, not a crutch, in self-defense - USATODAY.com

I've been thinking about training a few ash and hornbeam (aka, ironwood) saplings in the shape of a comfortable handle, in case I ever do find myself needing one.

I wondered when I saw this thread if someone would mention Cane Master Mark Shuey. Cane Masters!, Walking Canes for mobility, self-defense, exercise and rehabilitation If you're going to use a cane everyday, why not spend a few dollars and get a REALLY nice one. See his website. Also Home has classes for cane use.

/ Canes, anyone use one? #44  
I wondered when I saw this thread if someone would mention Cane Master Mark Shuey. Cane Masters!, Walking Canes for mobility, self-defense, exercise and rehabilitation If you're going to use a cane everyday, why not spend a few dollars and get a REALLY nice one. See his website. Also Home has classes for cane use.

I'd agree with spending a few dollars and getting a REALLY nice one, but I think the Bubba Stik sure has this Cane Master beat. Cane Master says maximum length is 36". The man's Bubba Stik standard length is 39" (plus or minus a half inch), but they'll cut them to any length you want. Maybe I missed it somewhere, but I couldn't find anything to tell me what the Cane Master canes weigh. I like the 19.2 oz weight of my Bubba Stik.

Now I guess these companies who sell directly to the consumer, and also through retailers, cannot afford to undercut their retailers. The Cane Master online prices are pretty high (don't know whether they have any retailers) and the Bubba Stik prices online are pretty high, also. Now if you want a custom made cane from either company, I assume you have to go directly to them. But the Bubba Stiks I've bought were considerably cheaper at Love's Travel Stops, which is where I bought all of them.

/ Canes, anyone use one? #45  
I'd agree with spending a few dollars and getting a REALLY nice one, but I think the Bubba Stik sure has this Cane Master beat. Cane Master says maximum length is 36". The man's Bubba Stik standard length is 39" (plus or minus a half inch), but they'll cut them to any length you want. Maybe I missed it somewhere, but I couldn't find anything to tell me what the Cane Master canes weigh. I like the 19.2 oz weight of my Bubba Stik.

Now I guess these companies who sell directly to the consumer, and also through retailers, cannot afford to undercut their retailers. The Cane Master online prices are pretty high (don't know whether they have any retailers) and the Bubba Stik prices online are pretty high, also. Now if you want a custom made cane from either company, I assume you have to go directly to them. But the Bubba Stiks I've bought were considerably cheaper at Love's Travel Stops, which is where I bought all of them.

The Bubba Stick do look like quality items. They do not have the crook though. If you are using a cane with a crook, you need to cut it to a certain length for you. The crook allows you to do a lot of "fun" techniques. Check out some videos of Master Shuey or go to the other site and you can see what I mean.

/ Canes, anyone use one? #46  
I have many, many canes! Make them, collect them and occasionally use them. Antique glass ones, wood and metal.
I make them on the lathe and carve them out of the woods! I've toped them with hames, baseballs, stone, antique door knobs, pool balls, railroad telegraph insulators --- you name it!
I'm kind of a cane nut!

/ Canes, anyone use one?
Here are three of the canes I use, the center the most. I am still working out the most comfortable design. I rough them out and use a horseshoers rasp with minimal sanding. -apple wood, maple, ash (jog cart bracing cut down). I like different heights. The center top I purchased- the other I had around.
View attachment 291541