Cannot keep the 422 running

/ Cannot keep the 422 running #1  

MuncyBob

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT 422
Last time I cut the grass it was very hot and at the end of the job(1 hour) the 422 just stalled out. Started right up and ran a bit and stalled again, figured it was so hot that after an hour it vapor locked. But today I'm getting the same thing and it's very cool and the engine is cold too. It does start right up again but won't run for long.

A friend said may be the gas cap. I have blown it out with the compressor and just as somebody else previously posted, I drilled the small vent hole just a bit bigger...makes no difference. Could it still be the cap or something else?

/ Cannot keep the 422 running #2  
Id start with simple first, fuel filter, plugged fuel line or dirt in the tank. Disconnect the fuel line from the carb and disconnect spark plugs, crank the engine, see if you have good fuel flow, if not work backwards from there.

/ Cannot keep the 422 running
I had already looked into the tank but I must have missed it....earlier this year I pulled the cap flange out to clean it good and reseal. Recalling this is probably what told me to get a good strong flashlight and look into the tank again. I was pretty sure I could see the culprit at the bottom near the exit hole. After draining the tank and holding it up to the sun I could easily see a small bit of the caulk I used that was causing the problem. A cheap and not so hard fix...I wish life had more of those!

/ Cannot keep the 422 running #5  
Also check your air filter.

Well, it ran for several minutes in the garage so thinking I had it licked I filled up and went to cut the grass. Only got about 100'....back to the drawing board.

/ Cannot keep the 422 running #7  
A easy way to run out a fuel issue is to take a can of WD 40, have air filter open and with the engine wanting to stop, shoot short bursts into the air intake. Your engine will run fine on WD 40, works with gas or diesel engine. If it is fuel issue you can keep it running by shooting short burst of WD 40 if it will not run like that it is not a fuel issue.

If it's a vented cap issue, would the engine run w/o the cap on the tank?

/ Cannot keep the 422 running #9  
If it's a vented cap issue, would the engine run w/o the cap on the tank?
Yes, but I would only unscrew the cap a turn or so, and I wouldn't move the tractor. I would be too worried about setting something on fire. Since you already drilled out the cap, I doubt that is your issue.

How old is your gas? If it is older, I might also suspect bad gas.

Based on other's experience, I would guess that you still have some foreign material in the gas line or carburetor. The easy bit is probably blowing out the fuel line, again. Then it gets interesting. Which engine do you have in your 422 and what kind of fuel pump do you have?

Good luck,

Peter

/ Cannot keep the 422 running #10  
A less painful way of looking at throwing parts at it is sometimes the engine is ready for new filters, plugs, ignition coils, etc. anyway.

You aren't hurting yourself by cleaning the fuel system, changing the fuel filter, spark plug and trying new gas.

Could also be failing ignition coil or valves need adjusting.

Is there an hour meter on the engine?