canopy

/ canopy #1  

winchman

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota 2410 with loaded R4s
I am building a steel canopy for my 2410. I'm down to trying to decide what to use for sound deadening. Of course I'm building my own canopy because I have more time than money right now so I'm trying to come up with some cheap material. I have searched and read everything under sound deadening, and canopies. Just wondering if anybody had any new ideas? Would styrofoam insulation board work? How about spray-on bedliner on the bottom side of the sheet metal? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
winchman

/ canopy #2  
I used 3/4" styrofoam in mine. Glued it in place with a good adhesive caulk.

/ canopy #3  
My Kubota factory canopy just has about 3/4" upholstery foam glued to the top. In thinking about it I suggest you consider the goal. A lot of sound deadening material, such as the spray on type, is designed to keep the sound from traveling to the other side of what it's adhered to. With a canopy, the purpose is acoustic in nature. It's designed to stop the sound waves coming at you from bouncing off of the canopy causing sort of a barrel effect. What you need is the most sound absorbing foam you can get. For such a small area you can even look into the type they sell for that purpose at high end stereo stores etc. What I've seen is black and it has cones formed into it to deaden the sound even more than a flat foam.

/ canopy #4  
My new cannopy from new holland had a 3/8" piech of 'chipboard' mounted to the underside of the cannopy.

Soundguy

/ canopy
Soundguy,

What is "chipboard"?

winchman

/ canopy #6  
I think the simple way would be to take a piece of bituthane (aka Ice Shield, nasty-sticky-black stuff, etc.) Cut to fit and carefully apply. You can proabably glue something nice on to it after it is on there but the resilient nature of the bituthane should make a great sound dampener.

/ canopy #7  
Attach a piece of carpet to the underside of the canopy. Carpet remnents come in all sizes and type, and cost practically nothing. It works really well, and you can just about select the perfect color for your use. Get a good tight pile on a jute backing. If it is stretched across with a minor air gap, the sound deadening is better, as the air space helps in deadening the return waves.

/ canopy #8  
use ice shield.....it is the same thing as dynamat (what they use for deadening in car stereo world) you can find it at home depot or a roofing supply company....usually about $20-40 for a 2ft by 250ft roll. you could then cover or paint it after it sets.

/ canopy #9  
Lumber yards have some 4 ' x 8' panels of asphalt sheathing that is used for making furnace plenums. About $7 a sheet. It is what most of the metal canopy companies use. Workd great for my canopy.

Why not use aluminum? My top piece cost about $140 and will never need paint. it is almost 1/8" thick, so it won't bend.

email if you want a picture.

JRPoux.

/ canopy
Thanks Guys,

"Why not use aluminum?" I would have loved to but, I'll be saving over $100 by using steel and would prefer it painted bota orange anyways. I saw a picture of Bird's canopy and liked the looks of it. Thought about glueing eggcrate matress material to the underside, but worry about the spray on glue holding over time!?! How heavy is this "asphalt sheathing"?

Thanks for all the suggestions Guys,
winchman