Cant decide which model. Help needed?

/ Cant decide which model. Help needed? #1  

chrisreedtn

Hi, This is my first post in a long time. I am interested in getting a new tractor. My list of options is L440hst, M5040syn, L4740hst,.

Interested in a 4wd, rear remote would be nice for log splitter etc.. Want a FEL, but cannot decide if the price is worth it right now, or just wait and purchase it later if really needed? (I have one now on my massey and use it quite a bit, but people survive without them, and money is kinda tight)

I have 12 acres, approx 4 to finish mow, 6 to bush hog, and some wooded. The 6 to bush hog is pretty steep. (My 2wd makes it fine though)

i am leaning towards the L4400, but just not sure its enough, Would be using a 6ft finish mower, 6ft pos 7ft bush hog, And would like to have enough to help neighbor with hay. (thats generaly 100 acres a year) Would also be doing a little tilling, And some bush hogging/mowing for hire.

Thanks!

Let me know what you think, and If there is anything else you need to know. I plan to make a move on this within the next week or so.

/ Cant decide which model. Help needed? #2  
I purchased a M5040 earlier thi year and I love it. It is a wonderful machine. It is a larger tractor than the L4400. It is a 52hp compared to 43 for the 4400. PTO HP is also greater on the M5040 (46-37.5). There is a big difference in weight. The M5040 weighs 4600# while the L4400 weighs 3100#. Wheelbase is 80.7 on the 5040 compared to 72.6 on the L4400. I do not think you could pull too many 7ft attachments with the L4400.
I would recommend getting the FEL. There is always work to do with the FEL and if you plan on helping your neighbor with hay you would probably need it. The 5040 has a LA1153 FEL which is more heavy duty than the LA703.

I looked at the L series before purchasing my 5040 and I do not remember a large price difference. I could be wrong.

Good Luck in your decision. I can only tell you from my experience you would be very happy with the M series tractor.

/ Cant decide which model. Help needed?
I only really ment the 7ft bush hog, If I got the higher HP tractor. 1ft will not kill me though. Did you have any feelings about the 4740?

Thanks

-Chris

/ Cant decide which model. Help needed? #4  
I had an L3830 and needed more HP. I would have gone with an L 5740 but I did not was HST. So I now have an M 5040 and what a great tractor. Now I am think of going for the low profile set up with it. It would mean a lower tractor by 4" but it would still be for what I do with it. I also have the cab model. It get cold up here plowing snow.

/ Cant decide which model. Help needed? #5  
I would look at the MX4700 or MX5100 they might be a better choice..

/ Cant decide which model. Help needed? #6  
I would look at the MX4700 or MX5100 they might be a better choice..

One thing I did not like about the MX5100 is that it has to run flat out at max rpm to get 540 rpm on the PTO. The M5040 loafs along at 20% below max rpm. I just don't like running equipment with the accelerator floored for hours at a time. Also the MX (at 540 pto) is noisier than the M5040.

I have both the M5040 (with loader) and a new M9540.

Ken

/ Cant decide which model. Help needed? #7  
One thing I did not like about the MX5100 is that it has to run flat out at max rpm to get 540 rpm on the PTO. The M5040 loafs along at 20% below max rpm. I just don't like running equipment with the accelerator floored for hours at a time. Also the MX (at 540 pto) is noisier than the M5040.

I have both the M5040 (with loader) and a new M9540.

Ken

i agree, i have the mx5100 and it is a great tractor and has taken up every task thrown at her, but i don't like running at 2700 rpms. if i could do it over again i would spend the extra couple $ $ and get the m5040
good luck

/ Cant decide which model. Help needed? #8  
i vote for the L4740hst. I have a L5240 and love it. The hst is a plus and the "grand" series have some really nice feature that maybe arent necessary sure make things more comfortable. if you can afford it you might as well get the loader purchased witht he new tractor as it is sure to be much cheaper to buy now and have installed as opposed to later

/ Cant decide which model. Help needed? #9  
I'm using my L4400HST to maintain my 10 acres and it does a great job with plenty of power. I'm using a 6' brush hog to mow about 8 acres with no problem at all. I've also moved dirt with it and it performs well.
Some thoughts: 1) Get the loader along with the tractor--it will be cheaper and you WILL need it. 2) The L4400 has been around for awhile, it's basic and priced fairly well if you look around a bit. 3) Its big enough to get most jobs done, yet small enough when you need to get into tight spaces.
My only concern is your haying activities--it would all depend on what you would be asking the L4400 to do in that regard. You may need a little bigger tractor if you are hitting the hay hard and fast. All in all,from what you are describing, you are looking for a reasonably priced tractor to accomplish most tasks, and the L4400HST comes close. Good luck! Mike.

/ Cant decide which model. Help needed? #10  
Chris,

Consider what ballast you would need (suitcase weights, etc) for the front to run your most weight demanding implement. Figure the cost & inconvenience of buying, installing and removing that ballast as required. Figure in the discount leverage that you would lose by not buying the FEL with the tractor. Also, add the cost of delivery and any installation/prep that might be included. I'll bet that FEL looks like a real bargain if you buy it with the tractor.

-Jim