Can't decide X748 or 2305

/ Can't decide X748 or 2305 #1  

Builder

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar__
Tractor
Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB
Really stuck here. I have aquired a few small farm/estate properties to cut. I want the best built 60 or 72" mid mount mower/tractor I can get with a diesel, 4WD and some versatility to run a small spreader or maybe even a 4' rear cutter in the future or a front mount snowblower. I do not want a zero turn, although one would be able to cut faster.

I also need to cut my own lawn which is your 3 acres of basic grass with typical trees, shrubs etc.
My Customer's places range from 5 to 11 acres of grass/field cutting. Once place in particular has some pretty scary cutting. Lots of work along a gorge with a stream about 5' deep that twists along like a serpent. Go over the edge & serious injury could happen.

I narrowed it down to a X-748 with 7 iron drive over deck or a 2305 with a 60 or 72" drive over deck.

748 pros: Love the size, looks, HDAP tires, manueverability, attachments and features.
748 cons: deck is only 60". Really would like the fast coverage of a 72" deck. Cost of optional PTO is ~$800. Lift arms are another $400. Actually costs more than 2305.

2305 Pros: available 72" deck, ROPS, flashers, heavier built platform, comes with PTO & lift arms.
2305 cons: might be too big for smaller areas to be cut. Doesn't come with HDAP tires, might be heavy for lawns, not as nice looking (in my opinion)

Overall, I like the X748 more. I just wish it had a bigger mower deck. The 62C is too light-duty for cutting field grass, so I must have 7-iron 60" deck. The 2305 is actually cheaper because it includes PTO & lift arms. I just can't picture cutting my lawn with it.

HELP!

/ Can't decide X748 or 2305 #2  
as a person who owns a commercial z-turn with the 7-iron deck...there's no comparrison to the two! in fact, i would put this deck up against any other commercial z-turn on the market for toughness and cut quality. i bought a z-turn because i didn't have any other uses for it like you've listed. i knew going in it was strictly for cutting grass, nothing else, and i needed something that was going to LAST. i would go with the x748 for the pros you listed, and you seem to favor it anyways. the x748 is a pretty heavy duty lawn mower, but i don't know the suggested acerage for it.

/ Can't decide X748 or 2305 #3  
I believe they are replacing the 2305 next year and would wait as there are some things that need improvement. Do a search on the mower deck problems. I had mine to the shop three times before I finally had to replace the hydraulic lift cylinder. The standard MMM lift incorporated with the 3-point doesn't work all that well according to my dealer so he recommends the optional hydraulic lift. The seat is uncomfortable to some who add a spacer to the back for a more upright position.

The 2305 uses 1/4 inching hitch if that is of importance to you.

My air intake continually clogs and over heats, but your conditions may vary.

We have found the hazard flashers susceptible to breakage and are going to weld brackets for protection. I accept operator error played a part since I wasn't one of those who broke them and in one case it was unavoidable.

On the positive side, it is very maneuverable. We kept our 425 to use for "trimming" and it hasn't left the shed. It is very stable on slopes and even with Industrial tires is easy on the grass. The 62" deck gives a really good cut.

I have no experience with the 7 Series and acknowledge my experience may well be out of the norm.

/ Can't decide X748 or 2305 #4  
"The 2305 uses 1/4 inching hitch if that is of importance to you."
What does this mean? I don't know what this 1/4 inching hitch is, maybe I have overlooked something on my 2305.

/ Can't decide X748 or 2305 #5  
"The 2305 uses 1/4 inching hitch if that is of importance to you."
What does this mean? I don't know what this 1/4 inching hitch is, maybe I have overlooked something on my 2305.

There are several threads on the 1/4 inching valve. Essentially it will go up or down with little control in between such as you have with position control. You can, however raise/lower it in 1/4 inch increments by bumping it against the stops.

/ Can't decide X748 or 2305
as a person who owns a commercial z-turn with the 7-iron deck...there's no comparrison to the two! in fact, i would put this deck up against any other commercial z-turn on the market for toughness and cut quality. i bought a z-turn because i didn't have any other uses for it like you've listed. i knew going in it was strictly for cutting grass, nothing else, and i needed something that was going to LAST. i would go with the x748 for the pros you listed, and you seem to favor it anyways. the x748 is a pretty heavy duty lawn mower, but i don't know the suggested acerage for it.

Can you cut 16-18" grass with your 7-iron? I may have to do that sometimes.

/ Can't decide X748 or 2305 #7  

I am curious about this too, just yesterday I had to mow a lawn that was similar to this. Somewhere between 15 to 24" tall amongst the trees. Hard to know whether to go for the 4ws for the trees or the 7 iron for durability and less clogging.

/ Can't decide X748 or 2305 #8  

in all honesty i would think if you have enough power to turn the baldes, you should have no problem. i only have a 22hp Kawasaki on a 54" deck so i highly doubt i'd be able to cut in it, but with a diesel you just might be ok. the deck discharges clippings the best i've ever seen and i've never seen grass come out in clumps. i've cut some thick stuff too, but nothing like the height you're going to mow with it.

the toughness of the deck will never be an issue, it's if you have enough power to turn the blades. if you can turn the blades, it'll cut anything you want. it's honestly like having a bush hog under you with excellent cut quality. it's that good.

/ Can't decide X748 or 2305 #9  
with that scary property you mentioned, i would rather use the 2305 since it has ROPS. I have seen someone on here put the X748 tires on a 2210 before so why couldnt you request it from your dealer? The deere has a standard PTO and 3 point hitch so you could run a brush hog with ease. I guess i would say the 2305 would better suit your needs. But there are other brands/colors out there, have you looked at the Kubota BX seriers or the Masseys? Kubota's BX1860-BX2660 are all great machines. Give one a test drive, who knows, you may like it better than the Deere. :eek: They offer R1, R3, and R4 tires too. Today i saw a BX1860 with R3s and a MMM that looked like a nice machine for mowing. I have never mowed with a BX so i have no experience in how it handels, etc.

Attachments

• 9-5-10 055.JPG
    9-5-10 055.JPG
    917.4 KB · Views: 267
  • 9-5-10 061.JPG
    9-5-10 061.JPG
    931 KB · Views: 258
  • 9-5-10 058.JPG
    9-5-10 058.JPG
    928.4 KB · Views: 282
   / Can't decide X748 or 2305 #10  
with that scary property you mentioned, i would rather use the 2305 since it has ROPS. I have seen someone on here put the X748 tires on a 2210 before so why couldnt you request it from your dealer? The deere has a standard PTO and 3 point hitch so you could run a brush hog with ease. I guess i would say the 2305 would better suit your needs. But there are other brands/colors out there, have you looked at the Kubota BX seriers or the Masseys? Kubota's BX1860-BX2660 are all great machines. Give one a test drive, who knows, you may like it better than the Deere. :eek: They offer R1, R3, and R4 tires too. Today i saw a BX1860 with R3s and a MMM that looked like a nice machine for mowing. I have never mowed with a BX so i have no experience in how it handels, etc.

I have a BX2660 and a JD2305 and everyone in my family prefers the BX hands down. I bought the BX after owning the 2305 for a year.