Can't Hook up New Cutter - BX23s - Frontier 2048

/ Can't Hook up New Cutter - BX23s - Frontier 2048 #1  

Old Red

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 HDC
I tried and tried to hook up my new to me Frontier rotary cutter to my BX23s 3PH. Any ideas?

I loosened the 3ph arms to where they would spread apart to their maximum width. If I turn the pins inside the brackets on the frontier 2048 will not allow you to hook up that way. I just can't figure out what I need to do. The inside plate on the BX 3ph arm hits the bush hog where it will not slide over the pin.

Attachments

• 2017-07-10 20.11.42.jpg
    2017-07-10 20.11.42.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 386
   / Can't Hook up New Cutter - BX23s - Frontier 2048
Here is a picture of the cutter.

Attachments

• 2017-07-10 18.40.08.jpg
    2017-07-10 18.40.08.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 407
   / Can't Hook up New Cutter - BX23s - Frontier 2048 #3  
As I understand what you are describing, you have backed up to the cutter and your arms wont spread far enough apart for each to go over the cutter hitch pins.

If you put the cutter at an angle and then slide one lower 3 pt arm over its pin, then lever the cutter square and sideways to get it moved as far as it can towards the side where the lower arm is already on the pin, then you are not trying to get as much spread in the arms. This might just give you the movement you need.

Alternatively, there are many styles of quick attach adapters for 3 pt hitches. These go unto your lower 3 pt arms and come up under the pin so you don't have to be spreading your arms past the ends of the cutter pins.

6hLJkYe.jpg

Dave M7040

/ Can't Hook up New Cutter - BX23s - Frontier 2048 #4  
As I understand what you are describing, you have backed up to the cutter and your arms wont spread far enough apart for each to go over the cutter hitch pins.

If you put the cutter at an angle and then slide one lower 3 pt arm over its pin, then lever the cutter square and sideways to get it moved as far as it can towards the side where the lower arm is already on the pin, then you are not trying to get as much spread in the arms. This might just give you the movement you need.

Alternatively, there are many styles of quick attach adapters for 3 pt hitches. These go unto your lower 3 pt arms and come up under the pin so you don't have to be spreading your arms past the ends of the cutter pins.

Dave M7040

Dave, where did you get the quick-change adapters at, how much did they cost... do you have a link you can post in here to where you got them..? I also noticed there are 2 smaller bolts... did you have to drill holes thru your 3pt hitch arms to fasten these adapters on...? I really like the idea of the quick-change.

/ Can't Hook up New Cutter - BX23s - Frontier 2048 #5  
Can you totally detach the lift arms from the tractor and then slide it over the pin and re attach the arm to the tractor? Very awkward but that might take care of the spreading/interference from that inside plate. The extensions work good and that would fix it for a price. I have the Pat's and I'm very pleased with them.

/ Can't Hook up New Cutter - BX23s - Frontier 2048 #6  
Papow look up "Pats easy hitch" on the net and that should get you their web page. Those two bolts are just jamb screws that stop the wobble sideways with the hooks. Looks not very well designed buuuuuuuuuuuut three year and many acres mowed and many many holes dug with my post hole digger those jamb screws are still tight and are doing the job just like the day I put them on. They let you get a very precise angle that matches the angle of the end of your links. Pretty neat. I got mine at the farm machinery show in Louisville for about 175ish. That was awhile ago so not sure on the current price/postage.

/ Can't Hook up New Cutter - BX23s - Frontier 2048 #7  
Got enough pin length to cut off small amount for needed clearance?

Drill new retainer clip holes on pins for smaller clip.

If it's that close/tight, you almost may not need any pins. You can use an alternate way of securing 3pt arms like large zip ties, etc.

Just a thought and best regards for resolving your problem

/ Can't Hook up New Cutter - BX23s - Frontier 2048 #8  
I tried and tried to hook up my new to me Frontier rotary cutter to my BX23s 3PH. Any ideas?

I loosened the 3ph arms to where they would spread apart to their maximum width. If I turn the pins inside the brackets on the frontier 2048 will not allow you to hook up that way. I just can't figure out what I need to do. The inside plate on the BX 3ph arm hits the bush hog where it will not slide over the pin.

Drill a new hole and move the pin forward. If I understand what you are saying is the backet that the pin is on hits your tractor. If that is the case drill a new hole and move the pin. In your case a quick hitch such as Pat's or the other will not work

/ Can't Hook up New Cutter - BX23s - Frontier 2048 #9  
Is the BX23S a Cat 1 3PH or is it a (Limited) Cat 1 3PH?

/ Can't Hook up New Cutter - BX23s - Frontier 2048 #10  
Dave, where did you get the quick-change adapters at, how much did they cost... do you have a link you can post in here to where you got them..? I also noticed there are 2 smaller bolts... did you have to drill holes thru your 3pt hitch arms to fasten these adapters on...? I really like the idea of the quick-change.

Papow

Sorry, I cannot answer your specific questions. It does look like with this simple style pf adapter you have to drill your arms. More expensive adapters involve all the 3 pt attachment points in a frame so not holes to drill and a better system. As other have said after my first post, there are adapter products mentioned that have a good reputation on this site.

All I did was to Google Quick Hitch images and grabbed the simplest one I could find.

My tractor is a larger one and I don't use the quick hitch system because when I put on my snow blower, it is on until I change mid year to my finishing mower.

I just saw the hitch adapter doing two things for you. The cutter may be too close to your rear wheels under some circumstances and the adapter pushes things back a few inches and secondly, be easier for hooking up. Just make certain your pto shaft has enough overlap.

Dave M7040