Canvas Tarps

/ Canvas Tarps #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
I'm making a temporary tractor shelter and expect it will be a canvas tarp over a framework. I've made those in years past, but my tarp supplier has gone out of business. Any recommendations for a canvas tarp supplier? How to spec the tarp? Thickness, thread per inch, coating??
thanks,
rScotty

/ Canvas Tarps #2  
TSC has a few canvas tarps.
Rural King has a better selection of canvas tarps.

I buy canvas tarps from CHICAGO CANVAS on eBay. 886 choices today.

In high humidity Florida canvas tarps only last four years before disintegrating. Tarps are seldom completely dry.

Still, I keep all my implements covered.

LINK: chicago canvas | eBay Stores

/ Canvas Tarps #3  
I have had success buying canvass tarp on ebay but I don`t have a specific vendor.
I buy the heavier tarp.

I also use silver (10mil) tarps from easternmarine.com (Trailer parts super store).

they are heavier and better priced than I have seen in stores. I buy them by the case and that brings down the per pc cos.

the silver tarps are waterproof for me for 3-4 years. Then I put a layer of 6 mil plastic under them. the tarp provides shade and keeps the sun off the plastic. I get another 3 years out of the silver tarps before they go to strings.

I buy 12x16 tarps and put them over three arched 54"x16' cattle panel to make a 8x12 CPS (Cattle panel structure) roof over whatever.

my JD 4320 lived under a CPS on pallets walls for two winters in VT until I got around to pouring concrete. With some minimal framing the CPS can handle VT Snow loads. It isn't real wide, but it makes a nice drive in shelter for my tractor. I also use a variety of cps's to house my chickens, turkeys and goats.

/ Canvas Tarps
(SNIP)
I buy 12x16 tarps and put them over three arched 54"x16' cattle panel to make a 8x12 CPS (Cattle panel structure) roof over whatever.

my JD 4320 lived under a CPS on pallets walls for two winters in VT until I got around to pouring concrete. With some minimal framing the CPS can handle VT Snow loads. It isn't real wide, but it makes a nice drive in shelter for my tractor. I also use a variety of cps's to house my chickens, turkeys and goats.

Sam, I'd love to see photos of those arched CPS structures. The structure I'm going to put the tarp on is 14 feet long. The peaked "roof" is made out of two 60"x14' steel cattle gates.

On the tarp itself, I specifically wanted to try a canvas tarp for this project and today ordered the heaviest one I could find online. Made of 21 oz. material. Will let you know how it works out.
rScotty

/ Canvas Tarps #5  
This is my most elaborate CPS, my tractor shed. with a slab and concrete knee walls built into a hillside, it's a little over kill ;)
WIN_20170720_13_09_43_Pro.jpg
WIN_20170720_13_09_56_Pro.jpg
WIN_20170720_13_10_15_Pro.jpg

for the animals I build them on a 4x8 platform and two cattle panels that I can pick up with forks CPS and all and move to new pasture. They make a nice leanto tool shed or dry hay storage also.
WIN_20170720_13_28_37_Pro.jpg

The framing prevents the arch from spreading and collapsing and transfers the load down to the knee wall.
If you don't have a knee wall, snow can build up against the CPS and push it in.

/ Canvas Tarps #6  
Ford 2000; 3 cyl. gas; 4/1 trans....I have a friend in the billboard business and he got me a used flex-face billboard advertisement (McDonalds, I think), about 14' x 45' in size. I laid it out in my back yard and cut it down to usable sizes. Up to then, I had been using poly tarps to cover my tractor, implements and other garden equipment (I have no barn or shelter). I was replacing tarps about every 3 months. They start leaking and then are really good only for shade, not for shedding water. I've been using the cut up flexible billboards for more than a year and haven't had to replace one yet nor had one unravel around cut edges.

There are places online that re-purpose the flexible billboards as tarps of different sizes and which include grommets around the edges. Generally fairly affordable but you can hardly beat free. My friend in the billboard business said they have trouble disposing of the used billboards and they were happy to give me one or two. Call the billboard companies in your area and see what you can find. I think the only caveat is that you are not supposed to use the billboards with the advertising images exposed. The ones I have have a printed advertisement one side and the opposite side is black. Some kind of woven material but much tighter and finer weave than tarps.

/ Canvas Tarps #7  
Well, My Yanmar got kicked out of the barn for hay storage. Hay needs to be dry she says, not the tractor. :confused2:

So, I rigged this up. Not as nice as SamSpade's. :p

A few coral panels, 3 cattle panels, 75 zip-ties, and 2 pool noodles to keep the tarp on the edges from ripping. Since the photos, I've upgrade it a little and she had me clean the yard some. :D

Tarps are from Harbor Freight with 20% off coupon or sales at Menards.

DSCF6766md.jpg

DSCF6770md.jpg

/ Canvas Tarps #8  
For temp shelter the HF silver tarps have lasted 2 winters on my boat. I made an A frame over it and screwed the peak in at the ends. The lower side was just weighted down. I say 2 years because I could see some wear happening after 2 winters and didn't want a 2ft snow storm caving the thing in. With a tractor shed and more support than a single 2x6 at the peak I would expect a bit more life out of one.

/ Canvas Tarps #9  
For temp shelter the HF silver tarps have lasted 2 winters on my boat. I made an A frame over it and screwed the peak in at the ends. The lower side was just weighted down. I say 2 years because I could see some wear happening after 2 winters and didn't want a 2ft snow storm caving the thing in. With a tractor shed and more support than a single 2x6 at the peak I would expect a bit more life out of one.

Exactly.

I have the old tarp still there. Just covered it with the new one. Thus, 2-layers. :)