Car - what if engine suddenly quits

/ Car - what if engine suddenly quits #11  
Can you do that with a modern vehicle that has pushbutton start? I didn't think the engine would turn off unless it was in park.
I hadn't thought of that. My Grand Cherokee won't turn off unless in park but all my other vehicles will. I've had to turn off the engine while driving at least three times in my life. Another thing to add to my list of problems with modern vehicles. My wife's biggest complaint with my CTS-V coupe is that it is very difficult for her to reach the emergency door release if I'm stopped and leave the car. If the fob isn't nearby, she can't operate the windows or open the door. She's gotten highly upset several times.

/ Car - what if engine suddenly quits #12  
One of our cars has a similar problem. On road trips I give a second fob to my wife so she can get in/out without me.

/ Car - what if engine suddenly quits #13  
You can’t get out? One of my vehicles has the fob you just have to have it with you. You don’t get locked in, you just lift the inside door handle and it unlocks and opens.

/ Car - what if engine suddenly quits #14  
Your 2004 cab/chassis has a pushbutton start?
And where in your post did you mention you had a 2004 vehicle? 'Most everything made in the last 10 years or so does.

/ Car - what if engine suddenly quits
Here in Australia, it was a Ford BA series, RTV variant. The RTV apparently stood for Rough Terrain Vehicle - beefed up & raised suspension, diff lock, under-body guards, different diff ratio, 4 speed automatic, 1 tonne carrying capacity and drives with the comfort of a normal car. Fantastic vehicle? You betcha! Mine's a 2004 build, bought at a government auction for used fleet vehicles in 2006. It was pretty high mileage for an 18 month old vehicle - 123,000km - and it had been used by the MRD (Main Roads Department) as a "scalies" vehicle (used for carrying portable weighing devices to do roadside checks on possibly overweight trucks, semis, etc). Now at 20 years old, it still has less than 180,000km on it, so a very low mileage unit! Love it!

RTV.jpg

/ Car - what if engine suddenly quits #17  
Here in Australia, it was a Ford BA series, RTV variant. The RTV apparently stood for Rough Terrain Vehicle - beefed up & raised suspension, diff lock, under-body guards, different diff ratio, 4 speed automatic, 1 tonne carrying capacity and drives with the comfort of a normal car. Fantastic vehicle? You betcha! Mine's a 2004 build, bought at a government auction for used fleet vehicles in 2006. It was pretty high mileage for an 18 month old vehicle - 123,000km - and it had been used by the MRD (Main Roads Department) as a "scalies" vehicle (used for carrying portable weighing devices to do roadside checks on possibly overweight trucks, semis, etc). Now at 20 years old, it still has less than 180,000km on it, so a very low mileage unit! Love it!

View attachment 850845

This looks like something that would be built in the backwoods of Southern Indiana! :ROFLMAO:

/ Car - what if engine suddenly quits #18  
I have a Ford cab/chassis with 4.0 litre straight 6 engine. The other day, after several recent starts, it just wouldn't start again - no cranking, no clicks, nothing - but after removing and replacing the 60A ignition fuse (fusible link) all was good. After starting, just for interest, when the fuse was removed, the engine quit.

So obviously there were dirty contacts on the fuse which had been in place 20 years. It's a 2004 model.

So - question is (and I have not tried it): what do you lose if the fuse contacts go bad (or if the fuse blows) when driving, and the engine just quits? Power steering and brakes are the two immediate problems which spring to mind, but is it possible to steer without power steering, and would there be any braking action at all?

I'm thinking maybe just pull and replace all the fuses? Anyone here experienced this scenario?
Several years ago (30) Driving on the interstate in Arizona. about 65+ mph the rear tires locked up and burned tire streak to the side of the road. Opening the hood saw the fan/ Airconditioning belt wrapped around the front crank pulley. Had to use the knife to cut the belting and remove the belt.
To get to the service station would increase speed to about 70 then coast until about 30 and keep this up until being able to replace the belts.
the engine quickly heated and then cooled while doing so.
the belts had steel cords
ken

/ Car - what if engine suddenly quits #19  
Sometime in the early 2000's, I had a friend call me with her car that had died while driving down the freeway due to a dead ignition fuse. Potentially a dangerous situation, and very frustrating for the driver.

/ Car - what if engine suddenly quits #20  
My 1995 Chevy shut down while driving with no absolutely no warning or signs of problem. The ignition module had failed and left me stranded.