Carb Kit - identifying engine on JD snow blower

/ Carb Kit - identifying engine on JD snow blower #1  

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
MY eyes must be getting bad, or JD has hid the engine ID tag. Then again it could be my brain having a senior moment. I have a HD JD snow blower - about 10 years old. I need to put a carb kit in it as it leaks fuel badly. Problem is I cant find the engine ID number that I need to order the parts. The manual is around here somewhere, but I cant retrieve it. Is there a cover I need to remove? Thanks for any help

/ Carb Kit - identifying engine on JD snow blower #2  
Post some photos of the machine so others can help you.

Regards, Fred

/ Carb Kit - identifying engine on JD snow blower #3  
If it is a Tecumseh the tag for that vintage is usually on the tin housing below carb (look below the carb heat shield)
If OHV B&S then on back edge of valve cover - stamped in and painted ovwr

/ Carb Kit - identifying engine on JD snow blower
Thanks bob11x I found it by standing on my head. its a 1995 Tecumseh and the tag was a sticker on the lower engine housing at the base. However in looking for it I did find my problem - split fuel line and a stuck float. I also found a drain on the bottom of the fuel bowl leaking that I did not know was there. A couple of presses and it stopped. Cured the float by taping on the fuel bowl - old Holly trick. I am going to pull the fuel bowl tomorrow and clean. Hopefully I wont mess up the gasket, but I do have the carb number now. While standing on my head I also found the one last screw holding the cover on. Snow blower is a JD 828D. It fired right up after getting things straight.

Thanks everyone for the help

Just an update
After wading through a lot of changed numbers I found that carb kits are available. I have one coming, before I pull the bowl. My gut says after 20 years (its a 96 model blower) I just might need one or two gaskets :confused3::laughing:

Update - success.
I pulled the bowl and cleaned the film out. Not bad, but enough to have the float stick. Used some spray carb cleaner ans cleaned up everything including the float and needle valve. Re-assembled and no leaks. Changed the oil and put in a new plug. Once I figured out what position was on for the key :eek::confused3: she fired right up.:cool2:

Now I can back to assembling my chain set.

/ Carb Kit - identifying engine on JD snow blower #7  
My trick that I will share.
To clean small carbs I spray oven cleaner on all parts and rinse with hot water.
Works like a charm!
Another trick learned from an old timer is to smear grease on gaskets B4 assembly. Makes a good seal and the gasket wont stick for later removal.
But then I also often cut my own gaskets from plain cardboard.
I position a ball bearing ball over any bolt hole and a sharp rap with hammer cuts the holes just right size. The rest of the outline is easy if grease was smeared on the surface face as it leaves a nice outline.